D&D 5E L&L 1/7/2013 The Many Worlds of D&D

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
The thing I like the least is how they're keeping the planes from the great wheel that are inimical to life, like the positive/negative energy planes, where you pretty much automatically die if you go there barring the protection of some pretty extreme magic. Those planes always felt so completely pointless to me. It's about as useful as traveling to the sun. Even if you had a spacesuit that let you survive, what's the point?
The earth needs the sun, even if most people don't want to go there. A sci-fi setting needs black holes, even if no one lives there.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
The earth needs the sun, even if most people don't want to go there. A sci-fi setting needs black holes, even if no one lives there.

Well I wouldn't really say that you need a plane of negative energy in order to have negative energy in the game, however. You can have it if you want, but you don't really have to.

MarkB

Legend
I really like the concept of border planes - they allow some degree of planar adventuring without going into realms so different that they require high-level spells or items just to survive.

I'm happy enough with the Great Wheel cosmology as part of the default setting, and any other setting that wants to embrace it, but I see no reason why it must link every single official setting. Eberron, for instance, has a unique planar cosmology that stands very well on its own and has no need to connect to other settings.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer

The earth does need the sun, but not as a place you travel to and adventure in. IMO, that's what the planes should be there for - as places for adventures to take place.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
More than happy with this - though I think of Ravenloft as a subsection of the Shadowfell rather than vice-versa.

If you imagine a sphere around the prime material plane, then the north pole is the peak of positive energy, and the south is the peak of negative energy. Around the equator are the peaks of the elements, Fire, Earth, Water and Air in a circle. At each of these six peaks, elements are in their purest form, and as you move away from them, they start to mix with influences from the other nearby peaks. This is where the quasi-elemental and para-elemental planes come in - if you follow the equator directly from the fire peak to the earth peak, the middle will be volcanic, and most likely where the aforementioned Azer like to hang out. If you head north from the fire peak to the positive energy peak, fire gives way to light and colours and general radiance. If you reject the two dimensional nature of the surface of the sphere, then the 'concentric' circles come into play, and as you move closer to the centre of the sphere, things become more habitable, more like the prime material plane, it's just difficult to envisage. The feywild and shadowfell are therefore closer to the centre of the sphere, regions of positive/negative influence that interact with the prime. You just need non-standard geometry to imagine it all!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
planes.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
@Morrus Right! But with more planes ;)

I just included the ones he mentioned! I assume the elemental planes interact with the + and - planes to create two more rings of inner planes, but he didn't say so specifically.

Plus I couldn't be bothered to subdivide the outer planes into individual ones! We all know what goes there!

Remove ads