D&D 5E [L&L] Campaigns in D&D Next

Dwimmerlied

First Post
Are the included images the look of the next edition?

I don't think so, but going by the second picture, I really really hope so :D

So what I can get from the article is that Mike is kind of sort of saying the first two or three levels can work well for a prelude, if you like, and then (and I'm reading in) takes the opportunity kind of reassure us that this is an example of that modular philosophy, as a reaffirmation?

Thanks for the link!

Blackbrrd

First Post
The interesting part here is that it talks so much about customization of the character, something that wasn't possible to do to a large degree in the 4e character builder. I do wonder if they are going to drop one for 5e, or if they are going to make a character builder with a lot more customization options.

From the article:

"D&D works best when the action flows and the rules serve the gaming group, rather than the other way around."

If this lesson truly has been learned then there is hope for D&D Next.

Sage Genesis

First Post
From the article:

"D&D works best when the action flows and the rules serve the gaming group, rather than the other way around."

If this lesson truly has been learned then there is hope for D&D Next.

It's a pretty hollow platitude though. It describes nothing. I for one think that in 4e the action flows and the rules serve the gaming group, rather than the other way around. But there are people (you included if I remember correctly) who would strongly disagree with this. The real lesson to learn is that one size doesn't fit all when it comes to RPGs, rather than making some appeal at edition warriors.

Yora

Legend
I don't think so, but going by the second picture, I really really hope so :D

The artist did a good deal of oictures for Pathfinder as well, and I always quite liked them. He's portraying a world that is both freed from the trappings of pseudo-medieval styles, but doesn't go overboard into the completely unrealistic.

I like the Warcraft and Final Fantasy style, but these styles are good for Warcraft and Final Fantasy. D&D should be a generic fantasy game that can be adapted to a wide range of settings. I feel that late 3rd Edition and 4th Edition went too far away from a practical and naturalistic design and would welcome it, if they'd go back to something more plain and grounded.

(Would, if I would care for 5th edition.)

Bluenose

Adventurer
The artist did a good deal of oictures for Pathfinder as well, and I always quite liked them. He's portraying a world that is both freed from the trappings of pseudo-medieval styles, but doesn't go overboard into the completely unrealistic.

I like the Warcraft and Final Fantasy style, but these styles are good for Warcraft and Final Fantasy. D&D should be a generic fantasy game that can be adapted to a wide range of settings. I feel that late 3rd Edition and 4th Edition went too far away from a practical and naturalistic design and would welcome it, if they'd go back to something more plain and grounded.

So, do you dislike those pictures or not? You always quite like the artist, but these come from 4e which "went too far away from a practical and naturalistic design".

Remove ads