D&D 5E L&L November 4th Warlock Design

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
  1. The distinction between spellcasting, hexblading, and binding makes no sense to me. That's not the kind of choice I expect to see when I look at the Warlock chapter. They seem like separate classes, and I don't see why they should be together under the same class heading (in the same book, anyway--it's fine for supplements). It seems like they're trying to crowbar in content, even when it doesn't make sense. To me, the core choice of the Warlock is the pacts.
  2. The "you can only ever summon one creature at a time" thing is getting really annoying. I don't just want a demon sidekick, I want a demon army!

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
So I guess we won't be seeing that Hexblade fighter subclass he mentioned a few months back.

I prefer the 3rd Ed Binder to the 3rd or 4th Ed Warlock (never rang quite right for me), I will just convert that.

Warlock was the break out hit of 3.5

I remember loving invocation when they were slightly retooled spells (hungry darkness and
Fell flight and devour magic) I would love to see some spells and
Some quirks like those...

I also imagine they don't have to be just wiz spells, some paliden smites
Might work for hexblades

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
gyor said:
Sounds very cool and if you read closely you can see that the type of Patron effects the how the type of pact manifests. Here's what I mean, a say Demonic (Patron type) Book (Pact Type), Pact would grant more spells and ways to shape spells, but the the Demonic Patron would effect the choicies you have for spells, the way you can shape them, and the flavour of course

If I had my druthers, we'd have patron affecting your (tiny little) spell list, and pact type affecting your core mechanic in various ways.

So someone who bound devils in chains would cast charm spells and fire spells and also summon a devil army. Meanwhile, someone who learned arcane lore from the forbidden books of devils would cast charm spells and fire spells and maybe gets EXTRA spells. And someone who gained a blade of Baatorian green steel from the devils would cast charm spells and fire spells and also have some semi-magical melee fighting maneuvers that take advantage of the cursed steel in his red right hand.

On the other side, there's a warlock who wheels and deals with the faerie folk, perhaps binding pixies in cages of cold iron for his later use. He uses spells of illusion and charm and calls upon these captive sprites when he needs to. Another one just stole a book of magic from the Summer King. A lot of illusion and charm again, and now, EVEN MORE. Then there's the one who wields a rapier made out of the tears of autumn leaves -- illusion and charm and a few melee flourishes, too.

Sounds cool to me. Even if it doesn't take the track of my pet theory of making Warlocks like clerics. ;)

And I love that they're bringing back the "at-will only" feel of the 3e warlock. That's what sold the thing to me in the first place, how awesome it is just to be able to drop a charm person whenever you want. 4e's unified ADEU system was a big middle finger to that, so it's awesome to see it back, despite the rumblings of wizard cantrips eating into the specialness of that special sanction...

GX.Sigma said:
The "you can only ever summon one creature at a time" thing is getting really annoying. I don't just want a demon sidekick, I want a demon army!

I think the first solution is the mass combat module, which I'd imagine would allow just such a thing!

I think that the second solution is scaling up swarm rules to mob level.

But this does need to be a part of the game somewhere! :)

Last edited:

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I like the 3 pacts proposed and think they can help make very different warlocks. Definitly interested in hearring more about them...

jrowland

First Post
Riffing off KM's "Warlocks and Clerics" meme, Perhaps Patron choice will be a bit like Channel Divinity.

You can use your "Patron's Gift" to do things like (limited to x/Long rest):
Fey Step across the room (Fey Patron)
Deal More Damage (Infernal Patron)
Life Steal HP from ally to Heal self (Dark Patron)
etc.

I'd also expect to see some static buff to invocations, rather than a limited invocation list for each Patron. Thus, all warlocks have access to the same invocations, but a Fey Patron Warlock would have a Bonus to Charm DC's, eg. or an Infernal Patron would grant bonus fire damage to invocations, etc. This pushes you towards choosing those types of Invocations that would likely be on a hypothetical short list, without actually forcing it on you.

We shall see....

They need to add Warlocks and Sorcerers to the Playtest. I don't think they got near enough feedback on those.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
I hope we get to see examples. Also he mentions this just the first of a few classes they're working on, Sorceror is another obvious one, what about the others? Psion perhaps?

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
I hope we get to see examples. Also he mentions this just the first of a few classes they're working on, Sorceror is another obvious one, what about the others? Psion perhaps?

He said a "couple", I think Sorcerer and Warlock are it, Bard was supposed to be the last class.

Last I heard they had no immediate plans for Psionics.

gyor

Legend
So I guess we won't be seeing that Hexblade fighter subclass he mentioned a few months back.

I prefer the 3rd Ed Binder to the 3rd or 4th Ed Warlock (never rang quite right for me), I will just convert that.

Actually he said the blade was Hexblade like not a hexblade, so don't count that out yet. Heck even if Waock eats hexblade again, they can call the fighter subclass Duskblade from 3.x

Remove ads