L4W Discussion Thread III

Dunamin

First Post
Well, eh...

I noticed there seems to be a growing mob begging for second character, but I'm still a bit concerned. A quick look at the L4W Character page tells me we're getting close to 100 characters - don't we need a whole lot of new adventures first to meet that demand?

CaBaNa

First Post
I'd like to put forward an idea that seems to be creeping up all on it's own...

Hekates V. Lauto

Hekates seems too really want to come back from the dead without asking permission or paying...

Lauto hates that sort of thing...

It is basically writing itself currently, and I don't need it to be official, but thought I'd cast a line.

Plenty of characters working toward Hekates goals, Lauto has developed a heck of a following... Seems it could offer a nice spot of adventure for a good amount of time, maybe even leading to some nice PvP down the line (only for those interested, and with some nice ground rules to make sure things OOC stay civil and such. I'd prefer if folks couldn't necessarily kill each other off, that way we don't lose our promising NPC's that are looking for retirement... although being on the losing side could force retire a character, i.e. injured beyond adventure. That would be worked out later. these are all just ideas I've got bouncing, that I'd like some feedback on.)

What does everyone think about it?

Dawn Raven

First Post
The question is though, is how many of those 100 are active? One thing that concerns me is that new players may be put off if they can not get into a game when they come and join. That's where the real concern over 2nd characters I think lies. If those of us that already have one PC out on an adventure go and make a new character...we essentially, in theory, may be preventing a new player from joining the community. There is no dearth of games, but an influx of characters might pad out the inn to excess.

That said, I do think it is a good time to allow for second characters simply because it will spread out the hump that will appear. For myself, I plan on only making use of one PC at a time unless there ever seems to be a sudden increase in games being run.

I may also start running a short game like covaithe did in a few weeks. I'd like to have a series of 2-3 of them that are loosely related but use different groups of PCs.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I would venture that about half of those 100 are active. It seems that there are quite a number of characters who get approved and either never make an appearance in the tavern or anywhere else, or make one post in the tavern and aren't heard from again. Probably due to a number of things, the main one likely being a lack of action.

I think we can all admit that PbP gaming requires a certain degree of patience; I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people go to try it out, and find that it's not fast enough (either in an adventure or waiting for one).

Of course, that's not to say that second characters crowding the tavern doesn't have the potential to scare off potential newcomers. But as long as DM supply remains roughly equivalent to adventurer supply, things should be OK.

Also, the sooner we allow second characters, the less of a shock it will be to the system. The longer we wait, the more people we are going to have in the community wanting 2nd characters. In other words, allowing them right now would mean the flood of characters is less than if we allow them, say, 6 months from now. In theory, at least. ;) It also sounds like there are a number of people seriously considering DMing in the near future, so perhaps this would be a good time.

covaithe

Explorer
I was for allowing multiple characters from the start, so I'd be fine letting in other characters now. On the other hand, it's a bit hypocritical for me to say that, since I'm overextended enough at the moment that I can't keep up with approvals, let alone pick up another game. But I'd do my best, if somebody proposed 2nd characters.

Phoenix8008

First Post
I always thought having some kind of built in limiter on the system of getting a second character would be the best thing to control the flood of approval requests. Like saying that your first character had to be 2nd or 3rd level (pick one. There's several already at 2nd level, but making people wait for 3rd level might be a bit much to ask with the groundswell of interest in second characters right now). Then when we get around to possibly allowing 3rd characters there could be you could maybe allow it only when their second PC had reached that same 2nd or 3rd level. This would nicely control the flow and have stable, easy to remember guidelines for when you could get another PC added to your stable. Something like this would be my preference, but what do you all think? I just forsee judges buried under the approvals if we open the floodgates wide with an unchecked allowance of second characters. Although I'm sure some will wait for PHB2 now that it is so close.

Remove ads