• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LA for mutation points

Mithran

First Post
If you were to give mutation points (From d20 future) if a character took an LA how many mutation points would you say is reasonable for say... a +1 LA?

Also, is the "Modern" category appropriate or should I have used something else?

Gomez

First Post
I take it these are Mutations with any balancing Drawbacks?

I have consdered having a feat called Mutated that gives 3 mutations points without any Drawbacks. It can only be taken once and at 1st Level.

Stormborn

Explorer
Mithran said:
If you were to give mutation points (From d20 future) if a character took an LA how many mutation points would you say is reasonable for say... a +1 LA?

Also, is the "Modern" category appropriate or should I have used something else?

Modern is fine.

Actually, the "drawbacks" counter any bonuses for benifical mutations. See D20 Future p. 203 for more info.

If you were going to allow players to have mutations w/o the drawbacks then I would say that a feat would be worth about 2 (just as a guess, YMMV) MPs of Minor Mutations. No need for a +1 LA. Now if you WANT something with a +1 LA then allow 4-6 points of mutation.

Edit: beat to the punch, but looks like we had the same basic idea.

Gomez

First Post
Stormborn said:
Modern is fine.

Actually, the "drawbacks" counter any bonuses for benifical mutations. See D20 Future p. 203 for more info.

If you were going to allow players to have mutations w/o the drawbacks then I would say that a feat would be worth about 2 (just as a guess, YMMV) MPs of Minor Mutations. No need for a +1 LA. Now if you WANT something with a +1 LA then allow 4-6 points of mutation.

Looking it over I think that you might be right with a feat being worth 2 mutation points. :)

Mithran

First Post
Hmm, glad someone thought of the feat it's probably a better way to go. I did mean without drawbacks, sorry didn't even think about mentioning that. Anyway, thanks guys! :)

Gomez

First Post
There is also the Evolutionary advance class from d20 Apocalypse that gives additional Mutation Points and added bonuses to mutations. It's pretty nice.

Mithran

First Post
That article says 10MP for each point of increase to an ability score... that can't be right can it? Shouldn't it be worth the same as the drawback that lowers an ability score by 2?

Von Ether

Legend
Mithran said:
That article says 10MP for each point of increase to an ability score... that can't be right can it? Shouldn't it be worth the same as the drawback that lowers an ability score by 2?
I tend to disagree with that idea, mostly because getting an attribute boost is a big deal. If you also keep in mind that PC already get an ability boost ever four levels then making them cheap could lead to some outragous scores. Going off memory, if you had an Ability Boost = 4 points an Evolutionary could have +4 to a stat within 10 character levels.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads