Labyrinth Lord vs Basic Fantasy?

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Yeah, I'm a much bigger fan of B/X than BECM.

B/X has decent thief skill progression which got nerfed horribly by BECM rewriting it so that they only hit their peak at level 30+.

RFisher

Explorer
Unfortunately being bitten by the 4e hype added to lots of other things in my life getting ramped back up to speed after the summer means that I haven't had the time to devote to finish reading LL that I'd planned.

I expect to like it better than BF because I love B/X D&D so much & I expect LL to be every so slightly closer to B/X than BF.

But this seems to be really splitting hairs to me.

HellHound said:
2. Which do you think is more widely accepted / played?

I think for most purposes this is a moot question. Especially as I expect using material for one with the other would be trivial. Six one, half-a-dozen the other.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
OK, I just finished reading Labrynth Lord cover to cover and I have to say how impressed I am. It is extremely close to Moldvay/Cook BX edition (which I must admit I consider to be the best version of D&D). The production values/art are great, the writing/editing is very well done and most importantly the book really captures the priginal 'feel' of D&D. I have already told my group we're going to do a one-shot of it next month, and I am seriously considering a campaign when the current one wraps up. Finally, it is free. Even if you don't like OD&D/D&D B-X, go check it out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised (www.goblinoidgames.com)

Goblinoid Games

First Post
FATDRAGONGAMES said:
OK, I just finished reading Labrynth Lord cover to cover and I have to say how impressed I am. It is extremely close to Moldvay/Cook BX edition (which I must admit I consider to be the best version of D&D). The production values/art are great, the writing/editing is very well done and most importantly the book really captures the priginal 'feel' of D&D. I have already told my group we're going to do a one-shot of it next month, and I am seriously considering a campaign when the current one wraps up. Finally, it is free. Even if you don't like OD&D/D&D B-X, go check it out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised (www.goblinoidgames.com)

Thank you for the kind words, and thanks for checking it out! :D

Remove ads