Labyrinth (movie) In 2020

Zardnaar

Legend
Once upon a time in the 1980s there was a young Zard who had access to free VHS tapes.

Between taping movies off the TVs and being able to watch bags of free movies I had copies of a handful of movies. From memory.

Wizards
Labyrinth
Star Wars
Flash Gordon

And others.

So yeah they were watched over and over until the taped got lost/wore out.

Anyway Labyrinth had turned up on Netflix so just started watching it again. Haven't seen it for a decade or so.

Last time I watched it the guys at the gamestore were like "you just wanna see David Bowie in tights". Not a massive David Bowie fan but don't dislike him either may he RIP.

I may also have had a crush on Jennifer Connolly since 1986/7 until around about now;). Sister had the soundtrack on LP and I loved the making of it as well.

Never found out it flopped until a few years back. Don't care still one of my favorite movies of all time.

Well she's about to wish her brother away. The drama. Typical 80s saxophone segment as well.

Thoughts?

Janx

Hero
Aurelio Voltaire has a music project called The Black Labyrinth which follows the movie, decades later as a bard journeys to meet the Goblin King and present him with a song.

Here is one such character he meets along the way:

Zardnaar

Legend
I used the film as inspiration to some of my games.

The traps!

Oh how I loved them - like wise the players did not.

I never did use the staircase against my players. I think they would have rebelled if I did.

I did use the Bog of Eternal Stench as the area around one of my Towers of High Sorcery.
I've used the goblin peddle powered mincer

Enjoyed the movie last night.

Mercurius

Legend
I never quite got, or shared, the adoration for it. It is imaginative and has some fun bits, but the late 80s shlock is a bit much.

For me it was pretty middle-of-the-pack of the 80s fantasy films: Not as good as films like Excalibur, Dark Crystal, Conan the Barbarian, Princess Bride, Dragonslayer, Clash of the Titans, Time Bandits, and I suppose Willow; but probably a bit better than Conan the Destroyer, Krull, Ladyhawke and Legend, and far better than the really bad stuff like Sword and Sorcerer, Red Sonja and Beastmaster.

CodeFlayer

Explorer
I have one of the blu-ray discs, and sometimes I watch that. I relish the extra time it takes to put in and load. I then put up with the bad UI, because, you see, the player is air gapped and the internet does not know. I then take in one of the best adventure muppet movies ever made, knowing somewhere a profits-obsessed media exec stirs awake, not knowing why.

Last edited:

Labyrinth is a movie I loved as a kid, and love as an adult. Also a big Bowie fan. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars is one of the perfect albums.

Not sure what to expect from a sequel. As long as it's not a remake. I do think that Jim Henson Studios has to be involved. Like the recent Dark Crystal series, Labyrinth just doesn't work without the puppetry, would lack the magic.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Remove ads