Lack of Aquatic Creatures

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
After checking through the MM I'm seeing a marked lack of aquatic creatures. There's a few, but less than a half dozen if you don't count the dragons. And they aren't very aquatic as written anyway. On top of that there don't seem to be any rules for underwater terrain or combat or even just being underwater. Not in the PHB, not in the DMG, not anywhere.

Yep, only a few aquatic critters in MM1. I think I remember somebody saying they're holding off the bulk of them until they do more detailed and intricate aquatic rules.

But that said, there are aquatic rules in the DMG to tide you over. (Uh, no pun intended.)

med stud

First Post
I see that as only positive. Fringe interests, like aquatic adventures, are as made for supplements. The exception, of course, are species like sahaguin that do Viking- style raids onto shores and beaches... But then the PCs have to follow them into the ocean to neutralize them... Yeah, some aquatic creatures would be nice, yes ;)

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
But that said, there are aquatic rules in the DMG to tide you over. (Uh, no pun intended.)
I see now, I'd been looking in the wrong place. Still those aquatic combat rules are extremely light. It's basically only 3 rules and a small sidebar on currents. With most of the page a re-use of the flying "combat in 3 dimensions" part.

Far as it goes seeing what's in the books was more a matter of rubbernecking a crash than anything else. I can't get over how completely unsuited to my groups' playstyle these rules are.

HeavenShallBurn said:
Far as it goes seeing what's in the books was more a matter of rubbernecking a crash than anything else. I can't get over how completely unsuited to my groups' playstyle these rules are.

Then why are you here in the forum at all?

That's not a "Get out!" It's a genuine question. If you've decided you really don't like what 4E has to offer, why would you waste your time here?

(And incidentally, I don't recall much in the way of underwater combat rules in the 3E core rules either. It's been the stuff of supplements for years.)

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Then why are you here in the forum at all?

That's not a "Get out!" It's a genuine question. If you've decided you really don't like what 4E has to offer, why would you waste your time here?
Mainly because I like watching the debate raging back and forth right now. When I saw how few aquatic monsters had been done it just felt worth imparting. Even core 3e had more aquatic creatures to use than these.

Sojorn

First Post
Evenglare said:
i find it disturbing how little creativity some people have.

Want an aquatic monster. Have it live underwater !
I have the feeling that was the exact thought process that first gave us sea elves.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases