• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lair Assault: Attack of the Tyrantclaw

fba827

Adventurer
The Lair Assault I designed is out and I wanted to see who has played it.

Stupid joke put in spoiler block... read it at your own risk. i did say it was stupid.

[sblock]
Well, if you want to see who has played it, I guess you should instead say "Gaming party at Matt's house to have one of the co-designers run the session!" :)

Let me grab my smarttrip card and i'll be over with booze as I believe that is the appropriate offering to bypass the wards that block your door? :D
[/sblock]

but stupid joke aside, from the summary blurb it seems fun :)

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I've run it. I'll be running it again on Saturday. It's pretty deadly and can get deadlier depending on how "mean" the DM feels like being.

Let's put it this way: I ran it for six players and forgot to do what the module suggested for the extra player. About 70% of my rolls were 4 or under (seriously, not kidding - terrible) and when I figured out the most dangerous thing the monsters could do, I only did it twice, 'cause it felt just too mean.

I STILL killed half the party before basically letting them win (it was my regular group and we were playing for fun, not a tournament-style game.)

I will be meaner on Saturday.

Netherstorm

First Post
I'll be running it on Monday for my group, who will be running "alternate universe" versions of their characters.

And then I'll be running it at the store next Wednesday. It looks awesome.

Matt James

Game Developer
Stupid joke put in spoiler block... read it at your own risk. i did say it was stupid.

[sblock]
Well, if you want to see who has played it, I guess you should instead say "Gaming party at Matt's house to have one of the co-designers run the session!" :)

Let me grab my smarttrip card and i'll be over with booze as I believe that is the appropriate offering to bypass the wards that block your door? :D
[/sblock]

but stupid joke aside, from the summary blurb it seems fun :)

Come on over :)

jester_gl

First Post
I've been DMing lair assault since they got out once a month and I'm still waiting for a group that can finish one.

Will be DMing this one for the first time on march 10th and will see how it goes. From what I've read I suspect a failure on turn 3 or so.

A cut away sheet for the crate and such would have been cool though I guess you had nothing to do with the token creation.

corwyn77

Adventurer
I've been DMing lair assault since they got out once a month and I'm still waiting for a group that can finish one.

Really? Either your players character creation skills or my GM skills need some work. The only LA I've "won" is the first one and then, only the first time when they wandered through the rune corridor and the vulnerability to lava wasted them. On the ship they decimated the opposition. The boss spent his entire time (all 3 rounds he survived) on his butt - he may have also been dazed as well for most of that.

This one does look promising though, like it may be a challenge and might take a second attempt.

The first one failed for me because going one way was, afaict, automatic death; going the other way - avoiding the runes - was a cake walk given Moment of Glory, which should be assumed. Way too much damage was based on Ongoing which was very nasty if the party went to the right but a joke if they went left.

The second, I admit, may have been due to a couple of errors on my part.

I look forward to episode 3.

Zuche

First Post
This season runs a lot more quickly than previous ones, even after having to backpedal because I got too wrapped up in what was happening to keep track of certain other things. Forgot that I had only four players at one point, only to remember before they suffered any real difficulties. Live and learn.

One player was stubbornly resourceful, and might very well have succeeded against the challenge if one of his afterthoughts had come to him before he got killed. As it was, he picked up two of the four secret awards.

(I assume people would prefer to discuss spoilers elsewhere, so I'll leave it that, with one addition. I wonder if the designers had another Hasbro product line in mind when they designed this scenario. It's obvious the moment someone points it out to you, even if it's just a coincidence.)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads