D&D General Lamest D&D classes all time

Lamest class ever

• Poll closed .

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I chose Fighting Man just because of the name: 1. It's just so... dull. 2. I know they were all dudes back in the day, but this is fantasy, can't we have some warrior women?

EDIT: Obligatory Bard Meme:
I think according to OD&D art and rules you can have some warrior women as long as they were scantily clad and didn't totally emasculate aren't as strong as the warrior men.

Raith5

Adventurer
I DMed a Jester in 1e and it was the most annoying class I have ever played with. Once he had a wand of wonder it was intolerable. I actually assassinated the character in question (and 30 years later I still feel OK about it).

Another dragon magazine class that always seemed lame to me was the cloistered cleric

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I DMed a Jester in 1e and it was the most annoying class I have ever played with. Once he had a wand of wonder it was intolerable. I actually assassinated the character in question (and 30 years later I still feel OK about it).

Another dragon magazine class that always seemed lame to me was the cloistered cleric
I remember cloistered cleric if only because I knew some people who like the powergaming opportunities.

(also is it just me or are a lot of people missing the entry for the jester class on the first page?)

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I'm pretty sure there was an April issue from the Dragon with an Accountant class. Yep Issue #48 along with Bugs and Daffy write ups.
man why do I get the feeling the authors of these April Fool's articles are probably having heart attacks whenever they look at modern RPG culture? (or rolling in their graves, idk). I'm not trying to be negative, but they thought stuff like a jester class was funny and useless. meanwhile I know d&d players who would love to play an accountant or put Bugs and Daffy into their game somehow.

Ashrym

Legend
Go play with your fiddle and I'll make my DEX and WIS saves just fine without you--been doing it for years and will continue to do so. ;)

Now, if bardic inspiration could be granted as a reaction or something, it just might be useful--as it is, it's pretty much useless. But again, this horse (and bard) has been beaten to death more than enough times.

It's funny, people used to complain about having to play the cleric heal-bot/support machine, and now you seem to LOVE doing it as a bard... Well, enjoy yourself and your fiddly bard and I'll enjoy--well--every other class. :D

The important thing is the party and I are happy with my fiddling. ;)

1582847393820.png

If my fiddle can save a giant living stuffy I've done my job. :cool:

Maybe I'll even control the weather and create plant growth along the way.

Of course my bards look more DnDish and they understand the role of music in battle and other applications since the dawn of history.

1582847576210.png

The portrayal of bards (and similar tropes) modern media isn't a silly concept. It's based on established history and mythology that go back a long way. The issue is solely personal perception. It's a perception generally based on lack of knowledge or understanding by people playing a game in direct contradiction of history's rulers and military leaders who definitely did want someone to come into battle with inspirational music. If it's good enough for Sparta, it's good enough for me. ;)

What I find interesting about your healbot comment is the issue players had with clerics is that all they did was heal and you are including clerics in "every other class". Bards might not have any healing at all beyond a short rest bonus and always have skills and inspiration even if built as healbots to create variety in the class.

As for those fighter saves, the game is Dungeons and Dragons. A STR fighter with no proficiency does not save well against DC 22 dragon breath. That's a high DC but eventually that's what legendary heroes find at some point.

He actually still fails DC 13 saves often enough they are relevant regardless of level. That's how saves in 5e work. That bonus might not matter all the time, but when it does matter it can make a huge difference.

I don't see the Truenamer there. Worst designed class ever, and therefore the lamest - because while the idea wasn't necessarily bad, the actually class got worse at spellcasting as you gained levels.

He is probably talking about the AD&D 1e bard.

I doubt it. 1e Bards were quite overpowered if you go far enough. They're a triple class character and got up to 27 full Hit Dice and it only takes ~500,000 XP to get that (a quarter of that XP being the last 2 hit dice), which is like level 10 or 11 of a single class. If your table actually played to high level, you were really good.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
am I mistaken or did Paizo specifically say at one point they were gonna keep supplements to a minimum? I want to imagine they said that at one point after releasing the Pathfinder alpha.

Maybe for PF2? PF1 is somehwere between 4e and 3.5 in sheer mass.

Remove ads