Lances and Multiple Attacks

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
But there’s no kind of requirement to actually charge with a lance. You can just sit stationary on your horse and stab at enemies around you. I don’t see a big difference between doing that once or doing it three times.

But I am not a big fan of how the lance was implemented, period.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I would bring it up when they talked about wanting to be a lancer.

But nobody has. I've had Knightly types who want to ride horses, do some mounted combat, but lancing? Nope.

That's fine then. DM house ruling to meet their vision is good. DM surprising a player mid-session with a house rule that invalidates part of their character is not. :)

S

Sunseeker

That's fine then. DM house ruling to meet their vision is good. DM surprising a player mid-session with a house rule that invalidates part of their character is not. :)

Sure I agree with that. To be fair I've got a similar houserule that lets you add +1dX(where X is your weapon damage)+1 for each extra attack, instead of taking those extra attacks.

Draegn

Explorer
An idea: any extra attacks after the first apply a negative modifier to the saving throw to avoid being unhorsed. If unhorsed the person takes addition damage from falling and or being trampled.

I'd make it +X Weapon damage dice. So, if you had two extra attacks you would deal +2d12 on a hit. I think that is a fair representation of the increased impact (buh dun tish) of a lance. Keeps the visual of a single charge and a single powerful hit in tact, while respecting the multiple attacks.

That's still robbing them of their damage bonus, which would be applied multiple times. I say let them keep the multiple attacks. The spellcaster is over there raising the dead and conjuring planar entites and we're quibbling over a master of combat doing something that barely registers in comparison?

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

That's still robbing them of their damage bonus, which would be applied multiple times. I say let them keep the multiple attacks. The spellcaster is over there raising the dead and conjuring planar entites and we're quibbling over a master of combat doing something that barely registers in comparison?

That is 1: Assuming their damage bonus is higher (they'd need a 14 strength and even then that's only one point per attack), 2: assuming they'd hit, of which they are not guaranteed.

My houserule isn't about quibbling. My houserule is for players like myself who enjoy the concept of a fighter but aren't real hot on rolling lots of attacks.

My houserule isn't about quibbling. My houserule is for players like myself who enjoy the concept of a fighter but aren't real hot on rolling lots of attacks.
Do you give them a bonus To Hit to balance out the fact that multiple attacks have a much greater chance to deal some amount of damage, as opposed to missing entirely?

S

Sunseeker

Do you give them a bonus To Hit to balance out the fact that multiple attacks have a much greater chance to deal some amount of damage, as opposed to missing entirely?

Yes, it's +1 to damage and +1 to hit per sacrificed extra attack.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases