Lances and Spirited Charge

Rabelais

First Post
I'm absolutely sure this has been covered within this August body...

Lance when charging does x2 damage

Spirited Charge when using a Lance does x3 damage

Is it simply too easy to say that x2 and x3 together make x6 damage, or am I missing sometihng?

Christian

Explorer
Rabelais said:

Is it simply too easy to say that x2 and x3 together make x6 damage, or am I missing sometihng?
Yes. Core rules for stacking multipliers involves adding the 'extra' damage together. x2 damage is adding one extra damage roll, x3 damage adds two extra damage rolls, so x2 and x3 together adds three extra damage rolls, for a total of x4. Which is what charging with a lance and the SC feat would do, if not for the fact that this is already included in the feat. (That is, SC causes x2 damage on a charge; in conjunction with the x2 damage on a charge that you already get with a lance, this comes to x3 damage. The feat is just stating this total explicitly, so you don't have to do the math.)

You still have to calculate on a confirmed crit. A lance does x3 damage on a critical hit; when charging, that means x4 damage, or x5 with the SC feat ...

Sejs

First Post
Rabelais said:

You're missing two things, actually. The first is that in D&D Math, (x2) + (x2) = (x3). Reason being that both (x2)s are (1x) over the base (1x). Add together those extra (1x)s, and you get the (3x).

The second thing you're missing is the fact that Spirited Charge spell out expressly that it does (x3) with a lance. You're trying to add the same lance in twice.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Some of the statements in this thread might be easy to misread, so I'll make an additional attempt to explain things.

Lance is a x3 crit weapon.

Lance does double damage when used from the back of a charging mount (thus doing x2 damage, x4 on a crit)

Spirited Charge feat allows you to do triple damage with a lance when used from a charging mount (thus doing x3 damage, x5 on a crit)

So your spirited charging attacker will do triple damage on his attack, and quintuple damage if he crits with it.

Cheers

Patlin

Explorer
"x2" is D&D shorthand for "+100% of the base amount."

Once you use this substitution, D&D math becomes less silly.

Remove ads