D&D General Languages in D&D Are Weird, Let's Get Rid of Them.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
There's no reason to learn another language. 99% of thinking peoples know common. If that's true why know 6 other languages in the oddly binary know/don't know if 5e?
The answer, for people like me who want this kind of play, is to not have 99% of people speak Common. In my campaign, Common is the language of a continent-spanning empire that's falling apart. There are a lot of people who don't want to use it or teach it to their kids, for a variety of reasons. The further one gets from centers of Imperial power, the less of an expectation there is that people will know the language.

We've had success with languages being mostly regional: everyone in the Zinoric Kingdom speaks their version of common, but of we went to another kingdom/empire there might be trouble. Dealing with non-citizens like giants or dragons requires proficiency, but most dragons living in the kingdom speak common anyways.

I find this a bit more realistic without needing much detail: if you live in the US, you probably speak English - but there are plenty of groups keeping other languages alive at home.

NotAYakk

Legend
Make languages based on country. Proficiency is familiarity with that nations culture/history/etc. And includes a cheat sheet of information.

History refers to ancient history.

Exotic languages provide narrower information and lore as part of their package, as does Arcana/Religion/Nature and similar knowledge skills.

The idea is these info packets contain hooks for the campaign. And similarly the picks indicate interest by the players in topics of interest.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Another aspect I've disliked about D&D languages is a lingua franca in a world with no mass transit, no telecommunications and no recently massive continent spanning empire.

Common shouldn't exist. A random person in Thay shouldn't be able to talk to a random person in Waterdeep
You also have 1000 year old elfs, teleportation circles and telepathy as well as well established Trade routes so why would a Common language not exist? It might have a range of dialects but long lived races probably means language chnge was so dramatic - eg apparently the Saxon Aenglish spoken in Wesex and Danish spoken by the Vikings was mutually intelligible.

In the end Language should be treated like a tool and default to ‘cultural understanding’ including things like Noble vs Urban vs Rural.
Common is a Trade tongue

Last edited:

Common used to be presented as a crude necessity-based language. If one wanted to mechanize that...
  • you are likely to get your point across, but not finer details, so roll every time it's used to see if something went wrong
  • pointing at things and grunting 'me buy' in Common is not a proper way to carry a conversation in polite society
  • you will just get worse deals from merchants, when your haggling is just repeating 'no. TWELVE'
  • absolutely nothing is ever written in Common, because that is not how it works
  • remove common from being a thing every monster/NPC always speaks

I would happily take cultural groupings, like 'hey I'm kind of into Aquatic Critters, so I can chat up some sahuagin if it comes to that'. At least it would help spread out the role of the face a bit.

Racial languages are just weird, and no-one is going to learn to speak just sahuagin as it's now presented, when they could pick anything spoken by multiple peoples...

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
You also have 1000 year old elfs, teleportation circles and telepathy as well as well established Trade routes so why would a Common language not exist? It might have a range of dialects but long lived races probably means language chnge was so dramatic - eg apparently the Saxon Aenglish spoken in Wesex and Danish spoken by the Vikings was mutually intelligible.

In the end Language should be treated like a tool and default to ‘cultural understanding’ including things like Noble vs Urban vs Rural.
Common is a Trade tongue
Yes, that's exactly what I do

I would happily take cultural groupings, like 'hey I'm kind of into Aquatic Critters, so I can chat up some sahuagin if it comes to that'. At least it would help spread out the role of the face a bit.

Racial languages are just weird, and no-one is going to learn to speak just sahuagin as it's now presented, when they could pick anything spoken by multiple peoples...
If we're going for realism, languages specific to a small group (especially one that's isolated for whatever reason) would certainly exist - but anyone in that group who wants to do business with any outsiders (like a farmer selling grain) would also know the regional common language.

Real-world examples would include Pennsylvania Dutch who live in Pennsylvania in the US but speak German at home. But many (most?) also speak English so they can sell stuff to tourists.

So in this example - Sahuagin would be a language, and many sahuagin wouldn't speak anything else. But at least a few would speak Aquan or whatever language is the regional language for the sea they live in.

You are correct that few pc's would select Sahuagin as a bonus language... but to me that's the point. They can speak but you can't understand them. But drow would just speak a dialect of elven, so the elf pc's would understand them (mostly).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well in 5E it lasts an hour with no concentration needed as a 3rd-level spell. This means from Tier 2 onwards languages become trivial for adventuring parties as long as they have someone with Tongues prepared.
Tongues is not an adequate replacement for languages. First, it takes a 3rd level slot which is a valuable resource. Better to just speak the language and not need to use it up. Second, it only lasts an hour, which means that if you are in a prolonged interaction, especially one where you have to talk to someone in the morning, talk to the butler who arrives a few hours later to inform you of something, talk to people at lunch, talk to people later out on a hunt where an encounter happens, and then more at dinner, you're running really low on resources and probably didn't do much during that fight other than cantrips.

Tongues is an emergency measure only, not a replacement for languages, and certainly doesn't trivialize communication.

Last edited:

Remove ads