Lantern Archon and Coure for 5e

Brakkis

First Post
I gave a shot at updating the Lantern Archon and the Coure from 3.5 for use as Familiars in 5e over on my Celestial Warlock Pact and came up with these figures. Thought I'd post them here for people to mull over and hopefully get some feedback on my efforts.

​--------------------

Variant: Lantern Archon Familiar
Spellcasters who seek to do good and bring a semblance of order to the world may find themselves in contact with a lantern archon. The lantern archon is a righteous servant, often conversing with it's master in order to lead them down the morally lawful path. Together with it's master, the lantern archon seeks to bring light to the dark places in the world. Such lantern archons have the following trait.
Familiar. The lantern archon can serve another creature as a familiar, forming a telepathic bond with its willing master. While the two are bonded, the master can sense what the lantern archon senses as long as they are within 1 mile of each other. While the lantern archon is within 10 feet of its master, the master shares the lantern archon's Planar Circle trait. Should it's master ever deviate too greatly from the path of light, the lantern archon can end its service as a familiar, ending the telepathic bond.

Lantern Archon
Tiny celestial (archon), lawful good
Armor Class - 12
Hit Points - 5 (2d4)
Speed - Fly 60ft.

Str 6 (-2) Dex 10 (+0) Con 11 (+0) Int 12 (+1) Wis 16 (+3) Cha 14 (+2)

Skills - Insight +5, Perception +4, Persuasion +4
Damage Resistances - Cold, Necrotic; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing from non-magical weapons.
Damage Immunities - Electricity
Condition Immunities - Petrification, Poison
Senses -
Darkvision 120ft., passive Perception 15
Languages - Celestial, understands Common but can't speak it

Challenge - 1 (200 XP)

Lantern - The lantern archon's body acts as the spell Continual Flame at all times. Only their destruction can extinguish their glow, though they can dim themselves.

Planar Circle
- The lantern archon is always under the effects of Protection from Evil and Good.

Limited Telepathy - The lantern archon can magically communicate simple ideas, emotions, and images telepathically with any creature within 100 feet of it that can understand a language.

Actions
Sacred Flame - evocation cantrip, ​range 60ft., 1 creature. Cast: Flame-like radiance descends on a creature that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 radiant damage. The target gains no benefit from cover for this saving throw.

Dancing Lights - evocation cantrip, range 60ft., 1 creature. Cast: The lantern archon creates up to four torch-sized lights within range, making them appear as torches, lanterns, or glowing orbs that hover in the air for the duration. Whichever form is chosen, each light sheds dim light in a 10-foot radius. As a bonus action on it's turn, it can move the lights up to 60 feet to a new spot within range. A light must be within 20 feet of another light created by this spell, and a light winks out if it exceeds the spell's range.

--------------------
Variant: Coure Familiar
Coure's occasionally find themselves drawn to spellcasters seeking to overcome injustice or oppression, or when battling fiends. A coure seeks to do good in the world, but they are also notorious pranksters, viewing life as something to be enjoyed and celebrated. While they assist their master in helping fight evil, they may also goad them into participating in their pranks, even in battle. Such coures have the following trait.
Familiar. The coure can serve another creature as a familiar, forming a telepathic bond with its willing master. While the two are bonded, the master can sense what the coure senses as long as they are within 1 mile of each other. While the coure is within 10 feet of its master, the master shares the coure's Planar Circle trait. If a coure feels it's master is too stifling of it's joyous lifestyle, it can end its service as a familiar, ending the telepathic bond.

Coure
Tiny celestial (eladrin, shapechanger), chaotic good
Armor Class - 13
Hit Points - 9 (3d4)
Speed - 20 ft., Fly 60ft.

Str 6 (-2) Dex 18 (+4) Con 10 (+0) Int 12 (+1) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 16 (+3)

Skills - Deception +5, Persuasion +5, Sleight of Hand +6, Stealth +6
Damage Resistances - Acid, Cold; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing from non-magical weapons.
Damage Immunities - Electricity
Condition Immunities - Petrification, Poison
Senses -
passive Perception 12
Languages -
Common, Celestial
Challenge - 1 (200 XP)

Shapechanger - The coure can use it's action to assume the form of an incorporeal ball of light. While in this form, the coure is immune to damage from all non-magical sources. It can phase through solid objects and create a light source of up to 30ft. It can not attack in this form.

Planar Circle
- The coure is always under the effects of Protection from Evil and Good.

Actions
Sleeping Dagger - Melee Weapon Attack, +6 to hit, reach 5ft., 1 creature. Hit: 7 (1d4+4) slashing damage. The target must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or fall unconscious for 1 minute, or until it takes damage or another creatures uses an action to wake it.

Invisibility - The coure magically turns invisible until it attacks or until its concentration ends (as if concentrating on a spell). Any equipment the coure wears or carries is invisible with it.

Last edited:

Brakkis

First Post
I've made numerous revisions on them since posting this as they are overpowered to the umpteenth degree for a Familiar. I'll edit in the changes later this evening, don't have the time right now.

Edit: The current balancing changes have been made to the OP.

Last edited:

avin

First Post
Just curious (as I don't have the books with me ATM) Coure Eladrins are tiny in 3.5? In 2E they were small.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases