Laws of Nature

Kahuna Burger

First Post
The only time I even bring it up is in response to anyone who thinks we need special rules for female characters and their "problems". :mad: Then it just appears on the long list of things of much greater realism we don't deal with in game. :confused:

adwyn

Community Supporter
Its in the background. Kitchens can be found in every dungeon, boxed text routinely mentions food on the tables, chambers pots have been used as weapons and effluent filled sewers are common enough pathways, but as others have said there is no need to dwell upon the minutia unless it is relevant.

That being said, assassains do prefer to strike when the target has moved away from the others into a spot they can't see.

Omegaz

First Post
Galethorn said:
I try to include wash rooms and and toilets when I design dungeons and castles, but they have yet to actually come up.

Your dungeons have indoor plumbing!!!!

Consider that until recently open sewers were the norm in most cities, and chamber pots and windows served as latrines.

EdL

First Post
We still poke occasional fun at the old dungeons for never having any toilets, even when they were brimmimg with human guards. As for our characters, that's up to the players. Mostly its taken care of off camera, but some will make a point of one thing or another. Usually food.

Zappo

Explorer
My dungeons usually have toilets (well, holes generally, sometimes with an otyugh or something on the bottom). Though recently I've been designing a lot of dungeons for Outsiders, and since they don't need to eat or drink I figure they don't really need toilets either.

But that's about it as far as excrements are concerned. I assume that the PCs, unless specifically mentioned, are all tough enough to take care of that anywhere without much fuss.

There's on-screen eating, but it's more as a background for social activities. Supply of food is never a problem, unless the party is without a cleric, or very low level and in a desert.

Galethorn

First Post
Omegaz said:
Your dungeons have indoor plumbing!!!!

Consider that until recently open sewers were the norm in most cities, and chamber pots and windows served as latrines.

Indoor plumbing? Oh, my goodness no. What my dungeons and castles have are, well, holes with seats that lead to either the moat or a natural cavern being used as a garbage pit. As for the washrooms, they tend to be like Roman baths, if a bit smaller and not as finely crafted.

Kuld

Explorer
The relieving of oneself is not really a topic I would normally like to bring up “in game” either. I usually do what many of you do and that’s assume that the PCs take care of business themselves and “off camera”.

However, isn’t it one of the most bothersome aspects of being mortal? It seems to become a problem when you least expect it and sometimes too severe to be ignored. I for one have been in some pretty precarious situations when I’ve been hit with the urge and could do absolutely nothing about it. It was all that was on my mind at the time too, i.e. boot camp…

Now, I have been considering creating a spell or condition which would cause its targets to become overwhelmed by this urge, and using it on my PCs of course. (Med LVL campaign) It will work much like the “Tasha’s Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter” spell found in the 2E PHB.

I know that most of us fighting for our lives IRL wouldn’t care about something as trivial as “having an accident”, at least we survived right? However, in the game it’s a magical condition and not physiological, so you have no means of escape. If you make a Fort and Will save then the penalties aren’t as severe… :p

BTW the BBEG is going to have this capability (Maybe). He’s a dastardly fellow and it fits.

What would happen if you put your PCs through this predicament or your DM used it?

Last edited:

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Food and water problems only come up when there isn't any. Tracking rations and water is required.

Sleep is required every night for almost every character race. Lack of sleep leads to penalties.

Bathroom issues are handwaved unless the situation has turned so bad they can only try to keep from going on themselves. It's not something I would focus on, but there are jokes.

Breathing air is like food and water, it only comes up when there isn't any.

Procreation is handwaved too like the bathroom issues. And, again, there are jokes.

What I do use and keep from player's control though is dreaming. All the characters dream and sometimes I choose to play with them. :D

EdL

First Post
Kuld said:
Now, I have been considering creating a spell or condition which would cause its targets to become overwhelmed by this urge, and using it on my PCs of course. (Med LVL campaign) It will work much like the “Tasha’s Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter” spell found in the 2E PHB.

What would happen if you put your PCs through this predicament or your DM used it?
The question here is, would we fall down laughing before or after killing him? :lol:

ThirdWizard

First Post
Rings of Sustenance all around. No more bathroom breaks!

Someone on these forums recalled a session involving a very confused druid and "nature calling" a while back. That was funny! :D

Remove ads