Leadership and Cohorts

irdeggman

First Post
Jacen said:
Wasn't it that it can be taken multiple times (each giving new cohorot but no more followers) othervice you can have only one at time. If cohorot dies you can get a new one so not limitet that way.

At least I had that kind of impression.

That is what some people choose to read into it.

It cannot be taken multiple times (otherwise it would say it could but it doesn't).

The text clearly states there is no limit to the number of cohorts a character can have.

“There are no limitations on the class, race, or gender of a character’s cohorts nor limits to the number of cohorts who can be employed by a character.” DMG (3.5) pg 104

Some people have used the statement from a designer about it, but that was clearly in reference to 3.0 and not to 3.5 (things have changed drastically for cohorts). I don't necessarily agree with all of them, but I'll go with what they say. (I really hate and think the writers messed somethng up when they covered the exp distribution for cohorts in 3.5).

Something to keep in mind is that the DM controls the number and type of cohorts a character gains as he does with all NPCs in a game. So if a DM wants to limit it to 1 at a time he most certainly can, but that falls under rule 0 and should clearly be explained to the players before anyone takes the feat.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
The Madhatter said:
I was hoping they would take the creature into account because I would be disappointed if my 4th level cohort was a warhorse rather than an NPC since "technically" a warhorse is a 4th level creature.

As the Leadership feat and LA are written, the best you can do horsewise is a regular 4HD warhorse. This will improve as you go up in level, but, yes, it kinda sucks rocks.

(I ran into the same problem when I wanted to have a cohort for an 8th level paladin. My DM very reasonably suggested I get that I should get a different special mount as a cohort so we would not have too many NPCs running around and slowing down combat. By the rules the best horsish cohort as a special mount that an 8th level Paladin could was a 4HD horse with the special mount template thrown on top...in other words I could spend a feat in order to exchange my regular special mount for an identical twin. (The special mount template count as a +2 LA for cohort purposes.))

I would suggest explaining the problem to your DM and asking him very nicely if he might make some tweaks. Powergamingwise you are vastly better off buying a regular warhorse and getting a 4th level Cleric or Wizard as a cohort and having him pump you up with buffs during combat. If your DM comes to understand you are trying to make an interesting roleplaying choice that is very suboptimal powerwise, he might see that it would be better for the game as a whole if you get a boosted mount.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
irdeggman said:
So if a DM wants to limit it to 1 at a time he most certainly can, but that falls under rule 0 and should clearly be explained to the players before anyone takes the feat.
While I won't hijack this thread by debating it again, suffice it to say I believe you are the one reading into things, and invoking Rule 0, when you choose to interpret the feat as allowing several cohorts simultaneously.

The Madhatter

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
I would suggest explaining the problem to your DM and asking him very nicely if he might make some tweaks. Powergamingwise you are vastly better off buying a regular warhorse and getting a 4th level Cleric or Wizard as a cohort and having him pump you up with buffs during combat. If your DM comes to understand you are trying to make an interesting roleplaying choice that is very suboptimal powerwise, he might see that it would be better for the game as a whole if you get a boosted mount.
He is working with me quite a bit. So far we're thinking awakening it and giving it fighter or warrior levels.

Remove ads