• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Learning a new system

Shallown

First Post
I was wondering what are the most important features in a new system for you, as a player, to learn first.

The system is generic fantasy.

I am looking for answers sort of like, I want to know the magic system, advancement/improvement of character, character creation etc...

Perhaps your top five things you want to know. This is assuming you'll be eventually learning the whole system eventually.

And would you want an easy an easy character (ie a fighter who just learns combat) or dive in full force ( A mage who learns magic and combat)

Awaiting your kind responses.

Later

Crothian

First Post
THe most important thing is character creation followed by the rulkes the character will us e be them the magic, psionic, or combat in nature. Advancement rules are usually very similiar to the creation rules, so they can be lumped together.

kengar

First Post
I suppose my top 5 would be:
  1. World Setting/Flavor
  2. Character Generation
  3. Combat System
  4. Magic System
  5. Skills System
    [/list=1]

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hmm.

I think that how a system is presented partially depends on the system itself. You'll note that D&D presents most of the magic system in a separate section, but many salient points are also presented in the combat and character classes section.

It also depends on your definitions. What, exactly comprises the "character generation system", and so forth.

The actual game book has two goals - one is to teach the rules, and the other is to act as a reference for people who actually know the rules. These two goals are frequently at odds, the the book is a bit of a compromise. They usually hope you actually learn from someone else, but they cannot guarantee that.

Personally, I think that going into depth on any one system before you've had a general overview is inefficient. Going into the full details of character generation (which in D&D includes purchasing skills and generating HP) before I know anything about how skills work, or what HP are used for, is pretty silly.

What a new person needs first is an overview. They need to know the genre, the basics of character attributes (what is Strength?), the basic task resolution system (roll a d20, add modifiers), the basics of combat (how do I hit someone, what happens when I get hit?). Then you can go deeper, explain all the combat options, what all the skills do in detail, how you put together a character, the full magic system, etc...

In other words, what a person needs first are "quickstart" rules.

OK, the order it should be done, IMO:
1. Introduction/"Light" version of the rules.
2. In depth character creation/special character rules.
3. "Extras" in character/levelling (IE, skills and feats in D20).
4. Detailed Combat/Magic/Psionics (likely combat first, but not necessarily)
5. Sample adventure/combat/etc. Optional, but very helpful.
6. Index.
Follow this pattern, and you should have a decent rulebook. Of course, you're going to need decent rules to make it a truly decent book, but the format should work for pretty much anything.

diaglo

Adventurer
Shallown said:
I was wondering what are the most important features in a new system for you, as a player, to learn first.

1) The WHo, What, When, Where, Why, and Hows? The system needs to answer some simple questions, before I go further. Kind of like a test drive. Or a skim or a review of a book, movie, computer game, etc...

Who was the game designed for? I play games with my 4 yr old nephew, but I also play games with my adult friends ;) .

What is the purpose of the game? Am I gonna get paid? Will I win? What do I need to play?

When can I play? How long will it take to understand the basics? How long does a normal game last?

Where do I play? Do I need to be indoors, outdoors, during the day, at night, etc...?

Why? Why do we play?

How much does it cost? How many players are required?

2) If Then statement: If the game answers question 1 to my satisfaction then question 2. How do I sustain a group? How much can I expect in the way of support? Who will answer my questions? What other games are similar? WHat other products are available? Is there a website? Do they have demonstrations? Is too much of a good thing harmful?
:D

Last edited:

N Hammer

First Post
Game Mechanics....Can the system handle all (or most) of the things that players seem to come up with...

Character Creation....Can I make the character as I imagine him to be...

These two things are the most important to me..:D

Silverthrone

Banned
Banned
N Hammer said:
Game Mechanics....Can the system handle all (or most) of the things that players seem to come up with...

Character Creation....Can I make the character as I imagine him to be...

These two things are the most important to me..:D

Yeah, those are the most important to me too, especially the second one, which is one reason I so loathe 3e D&D as it fails horribly at both.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads