• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Least Favorite (Core) D&D Race

What is your least favorite D&D race?

• Dragonborn

Votes: 71 22.6%
  • Drow

Votes: 35 11.1%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Eladrin

Votes: 14 4.5%
  • Elf

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Gnome

Votes: 60 19.1%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 40 12.7%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 29 9.2%
  • Halfling

Votes: 18 5.7%
  • Human

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 35 11.1%

FalcWP

Explorer
Out of all of those? Half-orcs.

Why? Two reasons.

1) The big one is that the majority of half-orc backgrounds seem to involve rape. Not unlike Drizzt, this might be an acceptable background in moderation, but when it's the standard, it becomes very, very uninteresting as a background. Compounding this is that, if a half-orc is not the product of rape, the background seems to end up being something bizarre - there are relatively few instances of a human and an orc having a family together.

2) Mechanically, the 3.5E half-orc was underpowered and uninteresting. I never bought the idea that Strength was the most important and valuable ability score. And the only thing half-orcs got in 3.5 was Strength and Darkvision.

KingCrab

First Post
Half-elves should get to choose which side is dominant or something. Anything would be better than getting a completely different set of abilities from those of elves and humans.

They were my choice.

Mircoles

Explorer
I haven't liked gnomes since the 1e days. I'm not really sure why. I just never saw a need for them. Though, the way that they revamped them for 4e is interesting.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Dragonborn - munchkin dragon-men furries bleh
Drow - everyone should hate drow
Dwarf - short and boring
Eladrin - tolkien uber-elfs bleh
Elf - DIE DIE DIE
Gnome = ROCK!
Half-Elf - emo prissy
Half-Orc - dumb
Halfling - Tolkien or kender but no basis in folklore
Human - I play this irl why would I want to put it in my fantasy?
Tiefling - demons (even half-ass ones) are monsters

:p

DeusExMachina

First Post
I voted for half-elf, but half-orc should get my vote too. I don't like any of the half-races. Why are there half-ors and half-elves, but no half dwarves, half gnomes... Or half elven/gnome characters, half halfing/half dragonborn?

The half-races force a humancentric campaign setting or it just doesn't make sense. Also their schticks are usually "like a human, but a little different" which does not give much flavor in my opinion...

Ambush Bug

First Post
Halflings. Nothing says "We ripped off our ideas from a fantasy novel" like halflings. They don't fill an interesting niche, they don't reflect any archetype, they don't add any flavor. They're just small, sneaky people. Bleh.

Toben the Many

First Post
I voted tieflings because I despise their look. Despise. With the dragonborn, at least I can see them as big, lizardmen. I can get behind that.

But with tieflings...in 4th edition, they all look like demons. Not just tainted mortals, but friggin' demons. It's very difficult for me to get past PCs playing demon-esque characters in the party and doing things like going to a tavern, attending a ball, or being a merchant.

Remove ads