• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Least Favorite (Core) D&D Race

What is your least favorite D&D race?

• Dragonborn

Votes: 71 22.6%
  • Drow

Votes: 35 11.1%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Eladrin

Votes: 14 4.5%
  • Elf

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Gnome

Votes: 60 19.1%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 40 12.7%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 29 9.2%
  • Halfling

Votes: 18 5.7%
  • Human

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 35 11.1%

Cadfan

First Post
Things I hate:

All half races. I hate fantasy biology. I'm perfectly fine with mammalian lizards or demon-touched humans, but genuinely different species shouldn't breed true. If the backstory of dragonborn or tieflings involved weird parentage, I wouldn't like them either, but they don't, so that's fine.

After that, gnomes got no reason t' live. If someone comes up with one, great, but until then...

lutecius

Explorer
I'm torn between dwarf (dull and ugly, always hated them) and dragonborn (dumb look and concept, furry ickiness), I guess db wins.

Halfling is bland no matter what incarnation. They should be replaced or merged with gnome.
We don't need more than one short race. Halflings could just be young adventurous gnomes and dwarves would be stout hillbilly (mountainbilly?) gnomes. Con and Wis bonus everyone.

Tiefling, eladrin and gnome would be ok if they didn't look so bad in this edition.

Derro

First Post
Dragonborn followed closely by the new tiefling. I'm not too fussy about elves, half-elves, and halflings either but they are traditional so they get a pass. Drow as a PC race are really only acceptable to me in an Underdark based campaign or an evil one. Anybody that tries to sneak a brooding, good dark elf into my games gets the axe. And I'm talking player, not character!

EDIT: With my vote it's official. Suck it, Dragonborn!

Intrope

First Post
I thought there was something in the preview books saying they descended from half-dragons.
No, they're purely draconic; they stem from the same creation event as dragons do (whatever that event is; I like that they give more than one--no definitive answers to these kinds of questions!)

Halflings. Even gnomes have flavour. Halflings are faceless little mini-me monsters. In my campaign I gave them 4E-style gnome eyes and webbed fingers/toes and fiddled with their bonuses, which gave them a little more of a theme, but I'm still not keen.

Sometimes I wish for the good old days when halflings were hobbits, then I remember even less people wanted to play them back then, and slap myself.

Dragonborn, whilst mocked, were a hit with my group at least. One player is playing one, and another is obsessed with the fact that they can breath fire.

Remove ads