• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LEB Discussion Thread '10 Pt 2

There was a guy who wanted to play human child (halfling) and another with something else, but as bugbear. Both times they were told to play the race if it exists. So, no Gith Kalashtar, they exist as playable races, so you choose one. There are several refluffings of warforged (earth elemental, tree folk (wood woad) - but those are fluff differences) - this one would be changing to look of the race while retaining it's powers and features.

Imagine a race with reaction penalty (drow in FR) or some other trait (deva immortal), but played as human, while still retaining it's advantages...

I'm not a judge so I cannot say yes/no definitely, but this is from memory from other discussion forums...

WEContact

First Post
Well, even if that's just a minority opinion, (which I doubt), I will respect it. That being the case, I think I'll play the Swordmage|Artificer I've always wanted to play. Nobody who piped up for Velmont's game is bringing a Defender, so that should fit well.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
i'd be fine on a case by case basis for the re-flavour. In the case of goblins, that race is already an allowed race based on the mm write-up, so i don't think we should re-flavour an approved race. Re: The bugbear, i would likely say yes because the mm write-up one lost its only real positive attribute (oversized) so it's penalized by our house rule, where the goblin isn't. I'd also likely be ok with reflavouring to a non-written up one.
as for reflavoring, some make more sense than others. We've had a few (cairn is a gestalt-intelligence earthy thing based on a warforged, czern is a karrnathi zombie based upon a revenant, two genasi that are arcane experiments gone wrong, etc.) goblins/bugbears/hobgoblins i have no problem w/ reflavoring as they have no feat support (halfling/halforc/halfelf seem good fits to me). A human reflavored as a halfling (even if a 14yr child)... I'd have to think on that one. My initial though is no, as it opens the door for eladrin dwarves or something crazy like that... Sorta.
fyi.

WEContact

First Post
Agh, the obvious solution just occurred to me: I can just be a Githzerai who lives in Adar with the Kalishtar and is an Avenger of the Path of Light.

Sounds unlikely but it's easy to explain: He was stolen by illithid agents to be used as a spy, but upon returning to the gith community was rejected by his people, who are justifiably very reclusive and suspicious of anything that might be under illithid influence. So he wanders, and is taken in at a monastary in Adar, after thorough examination to detect quori influence, of course. Thoughts?

The problem of course is that now I can't decide which one I want to play. Orphaned Githzerai, ready to deliver retribution to anyone who threatens the people who gave him a place in the world, or Sigil-carving steampunk swordmage human, on the run from House Kundarak on account of his mysterious rogue dragonmark? Highly accurate, mobile, sticky Striker or achingly hard to hit Defender (25 AC every encounter with Resistive Formula) with achingly cruel mark punishment?

Last edited:

WEContact

First Post
Well, I went with the Avenger. Is anyone in the Tavern?

[MENTION=59043]Walking Dad[/MENTION], I don't know which themes are the Nentir Vale themes, but currently all themes are allowed except the Dark Sun ones. Heroes of the Feywild will be allowed December 15th.

Bellegon Darksun, Darklock Umbragen 7th level is in the tavern with Deimos and I believe Ghourra made her appearance (she's mul runepriest something I think)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads