• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LEB Discussion Thread '10

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilbob

Explorer
You kids and your dragonlance. :) My intro to fantasy was the Hobbit, followed by LotR, the way it should be! Now get off my lawn! ;)

Velmont

First Post
The way it should be? I must tell the Chronicles have great quality and some of them not found in the book of LotR, it is a comic aspect. Tasslehoff was meant to be the comic side of the story and that can really help some people to introduce themselves to the Fantasy world. You have no such thing in LotR books (in the movie, the added such aspect to Gimly and some super-heroes stunt to Legolas).

The way it should be? Everyone should read LotR, whatever lead them to it. And the Chronicles is a great path to it. :D

Velmont

First Post
I'm tired... worked 17 hours this week-end, didn't get much sleep last night... don't ask me too much today. :yawn:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
A couple of things of note with regards to recent proposals/discussion:
- Keith Baker's article on Kalashtars in Dragon this month clarified that telepathy is one-to-one, not one-to-many. I'll have to re-read to see what it states regarding initiation.

- The PH3 (and the errata) has officially cemented weapon-as-implements rules: You can use magic powers/properties as a weapon or an implement (but mundane properties only apply as a weapon [or as an implement for superior implement-weapons (staffs)]).

Kalidrev

First Post
Re: Shardminds as Psi-forged.

I like this idea and it fits really well in my opinion. The question was asked if they should be able to take feats/equipment/etc as a warforged. The answer to that would be "no and yes". If a feat/equipment/etc requires the character to be a WARFORGED... then no, they can't take it. HOWEVER (and this is a big however I'm thinking), the shardmind IS a living construct (just like the warforged) so all of those items that require a living construct should be okay to be used by a shardmind (I'm guessing WOTC did this on purpose).

Vertexx69

First Post
I wouldn't think the shardmind would be able to use any of the built-in gear though, since they are crystaline-based instead of machine.

stonegod

All warforged components I could find are for "living constructs" not warforged, so this might work. Would need to spec their racial ability and similar. Will need to ponder.

stonegod

I wouldn't think the shardmind would be able to use any of the built-in gear though, since they are crystaline-based instead of machine.
if we respec-them to psi-forged, they'll just be normal warforged like things with psionic crystals in them (so it won't look as wonky).

Kalidrev

First Post
Vertex,

Please keep in mind that Warforged are NOT machines. They are not mechanical in any way. They are constructs of living biological material (mostly woody fibers and such) and have a metal chassis, but are still animated living creatures, not just simple mechanical constructs. They do not have gears inside of them (at least not that I have ever read) or other mechanical or electrical components. Just remember that Warforged does NOT = Robot. Warforged are magically (arcanically?) animated, not mechanically animated.

To SG: I am okay with them being fluffed as psi-forged OR as their own race (which would just be easier). Perhaps they are a new creation of the Cannith? I could see them doing this in an attempt to keep doing what they were doing without breaking the Treaty of Thronehold, since they aren't creating "warforged" from their original forges. Perhaps they are constructed in some other fashion and are brought in from another realm (since if I'm not mistaken, the shardmind is also considered to be immortal, right? I don't have my PH3 with me today, but I thought I remembered seeing that... please correct me if I'm wrong)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads