LEB Discussion Thread '10

Status
Not open for further replies.

renau1g

First Post
Us judge types move him or her from the Waiting for Approval, to Approved Characters so nothing from you.

Farce

First Post
Hi.... I just wanted to say I made a character here. A goliath fighter. I sent it to the judges for review.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Now that Lan is no longer in the Moonwatch adventure, I wanted to bring up a topic that I've been thinking about.

Kalashtar Telepathy.

Telepathy 5: You can communicate with any other creature that has a language and is within line of sight and within 5 squares of you; this allows for two-way communication.

In that adventure, the players have been using the telepathy to communicate at any time with it being instigated by non-kalashtar PCs that do not have the ability. Any PC can effectively communicate to the kalashtar, or with any other PC just by "thinking to the kalashtar" and having him pass the message on.

I think that the telepathy should be limited to the kalashtar PC initiating the conversation for several reasons:

1) The kalashtar has the ability, the other PC does not. Allowing non-kalashtar PCs to initiate conversation like this gives them an ability that they do not possess.

2) There is a feat called Group Mind that does allow for this type of non-kalashtar PC initiated communication. "You can facilitate conversation between all your allies. Any ally within the range of your telepathy can communicate with you and any other ally or allies within the range of your telepathy." Allowing non-kalashtar PCs to initiate conversation like this gives the kalashtar PC part of a feat for free that he does not possess.

A similar thing can happen in combat with the kalashtar PC relaying the same message 5 times to 5 PCs all at the same time to set up a tactic. The kalashtar PC does not have that ability, but it can happen in the game. That's 5 free actions, not one without Group Mind.

3) Telepathy is a potent ability to begin with. WotC should not have handed it out to PCs in the first place (even ESP is too potent for a PC racial ability). There used to be days when ESP and Telepathy were high level spells in DND. But since WotC did hand it out, there should be some limits to it other than just range.

4) One interpretation of literal RAW here is that "You can communicate" indicates that the kalashtar starts the communication.

5) Non-kalashtar initiated telepathy actually discourages roleplaying by having one off conversations between two PCs instead of group conversations, at least this is my experience in the Moonwatch adventure.

I have no real issue with the kalashtar PC having the ability, I just have an issue with non-kalashtar PCs effectively gaining the ability.

Thoughts?

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Telepathy allows two way communication. It is not explicitly specified if the non-telepath can initiate, but if we make the (reasonable) inference that the kalashtar is always "listening" such as our ears are, so that a non-kalashtar can telepathically attempt to call out. This interpretation is consistent with the 3.5 mindlink kalasthar received and fits the concept that telepaths are "always on".

Now, as for telepathic intraparty communication, that is strictly by rules off-the-table without the feat. A kalashtar could act like a telepathic relay/telephone, of course ("Tell Bob that...", "Bob says..."). In non-combat situations this would not be a huge deal (but should be realized anyway), but one may have to coordinate this carefully in combat ones. While one does get "unlimited" free actions, this is one of those situations where DM discretion should enter in.

renau1g

First Post
As an FYI, I've updated the Census from the Character Name page and removed those either MIA/Inactive/Retired.

As 3 of those in the above category were strikers we actually are nearly equal in Defender/Leader/Striker categories. We are also awaiting our first Eladrin and Tiefling PC and, very surprisingly, our first Ranger.

Humans are the #1 race, followed by dwarves and then drow/half-orc in third

There's a fair spread amongst the classes, only sorcerer is more than the others (who account for more than 1/3 of the strikers)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads