Legacy of the Silver Dragon (S&W, 4th ed)

gambler1650

Explorer
Antares straightens, reflexively dusting non-existent debris from his robes. "You do not use physical discipline?" He seems mildly surprised.

<Response Mother?>

The mother shakes herself, I do.. But I usually tell Tatty to behave first. And then, well, I don't... haul off and hit as hard as I did. I managed to pull back enough that it didn't hurt him, thank the gods."

Tatty is engrossed in his toy, and the mother murmurs, "Thank you again Master Elf, we should go." Tatty calls over his shoulder, Yes, thank you! as they depart down the street.

Antares watches them go, smiling and raising a hand in answer to the small one's parting wave, but mostly he is now back inside himself, pondering events just past.

It seems, in deed, that rather than a targeted attack - it seemed so very personal at the time - the vexing effect was instead more generalized than first thought, affecting the whole of the store at once. In truth, this 'Vexing' had felt similar to when his sire had cast "Charm Person" on him when he first learned the spell, and yet not quite the same - this one had... darker undertones to it, besides the specificity of action suggested. Perhaps- and this is an exciting thought - Perhaps there is something to master Jorgen's demon story after all!

Indeed, a mortal caster remained more than elusive -- granted the high unlikelihood of it being any that were in the store at the time! Ah, but little he could do against possibly evanescent, invisible or perhaps even bodiless fiends with his present complement of spells. A deflating thought... And similarly with the possessed, whether objects cursed or persons seduced. If only <Fenris' character> were here, he-

The young elf blinks, straightens, looks around the streets. He had been thinking only of a single caster, whether within or within sight of the store... But - BUT - what if the spell was not just cast, but anchored to - say - a young man carrying a sack of potatoes?

OOC: I don't suppose the young human who bumped him in the store is still visible? Does his theory make sense, by the way, granted what he knows of the events and the ways of magic?

Not sure specifically which theory... if you mean anchored to the young man carrying a sack of potatoes, likely not... Magic tends to be cast either by someone directly, or as a passive or triggered effect on an object. It's not to say an effect like you suggested couldn't be done, but Antares hasn't seen or heard of a specific case similar to this one that would fit the 'anchor to a moving person'. If Antares is thinking of an object on the young man or in the sack, then that fits better.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
The mother shakes herself, I do.. But I usually tell Tatty to behave first. And then, well, I don't... haul off and hit as hard as I did. I managed to pull back enough that it didn't hurt him, thank the gods."
"They wove you well," he mildly agrees. "I am Antares, presently of the house of Bracegirdle. Please call on me there if there is need." Politeness, mostly, as he does not really expect to hear from them ever again.

OOC: Looks like you just got yourself a new roommate, [MENTION=11760]Whizbang Dustyboots[/MENTION]. :) If that's alright with you?
Binder Fred said:
The young elf blinks, straightens, looks around the streets. He had been thinking only of a single caster, whether within or within sight of the store... But - BUT - what if the spell was not just cast, but anchored to - say - a young man carrying a sack of potatoes?

The gods are not so kind though <I assume?>. But if the man himself cannot be seen by young elven eyes, perhaps his effect can be traced instead?

OOC: Of the people he can see and hear, are there any that seem to be under the effect of the Vexing? If so, go that way.

Does Antares know anything about this guy, by the way? Any loose associations from his garb, attitude, calluses and/or accent/the way he spoke?
[sblock=OOC]
If Antares is thinking of an object on the young man or in the sack, then that fits better.
Antares is thinking either mortal caster (no evidence of that so far), invisible demons (worst case scenario) or an area spell anchored to something that's moving (enspelled/cursed/possessed(?) object or person). I was asking about the last one.

Really wish I'd taken Detect Magic today... :.-([/sblock]

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
Antares, I'll get a more thorough response tomorrow, but to answer your questions, noone outside on the streets are acting particularly strangely. The young man with the potatoes, is well down the main street that the general store is on, heading towards the south. He seems relatively unhurried.

Binder Fred

The gods are kind, it seems. After a last look through the store's window <everything alright in there?>, the young elven mage follows at a distance, calmly observing both the man and the interactions of those around him...

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Gartelo's companion peers at Gartelo, and asks, "So. What are they gonna do? Send miners in? Seems kind of dangerous to leave it open, unexplored."

Gartelo replies, after stamping some fragrant tobacco into a pipe, lighting it and taking a puff: Well now, you're right about that. Word has that Master Harvil will want a few folk to go into the tunnels to explore them, make sure there's nothing nearby that's dangerous. Then he'll probably block them off a ways in, and do some digging on the exposed bits to see if there's anything of use to mine."
"I owe you a drink next time at Half and Human, Gartelo," Bosco winks before heading off to see how much Master Harvil will pay for Bosco and his boarder to explore the tunnels.

gambler1650

Explorer
The gods are kind, it seems. After a last look through the store's window <everything alright in there?>, the young elven mage follows at a distance, calmly observing both the man and the interactions of those around him...

Everything looks fine in the store. The deaf, old man is still puttering about the aisles. Jorgen is stocking some items from some boxes he's pulled into the main store, it seems he was telling the truth when he said he had things to do and wasn't just trying to get rid of Antares. The craftsman Gareth is looking over some simple tools, unsurprising since the metal tools that can be cheaply made around here are somewhat brittle or of poor quality in general.

The young man walks down the wooden planking. Sometimes he nods to people he passes, though it appears only to humans - not to the other races he might see. He pauses, and then turns to go into the Half and Human Inn through one of the side doors.

gambler1650

Explorer
"I owe you a drink next time at Half and Human, Gartelo," Bosco winks before heading off to see how much Master Harvil will pay for Bosco and his boarder to explore the tunnels.

Gartelo looks up and grins slightly at Bosco, his wink and raised pipe, seeming to indicate he knew that the younger halfling was listening in.

Since it's still a couple of hours til sundown, Bosco finds out through various queries that Master Harvil is out overseeing the work in the mines. He tends to come back into town right around sundown.

OOC: If you want to wait for him, his normal route is well known... in through the North road to his home and office near the north edge of town.

Binder Fred

OOC: Um, my thread appears to be getting rather involved (and falling into the sneaky side of things to boot!). Would Bosco care to join me on this one, Whizbang? We're both walking the streets right now, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to have them meet...

mdengler

First Post
"Antares!" Stellan steps out into the street and waves, his broad face split by a huge grin. "I've been searching for you. Where have you been keeping yourself?" He strides over on old, well worn boots that clap on the wooden walkway. As ever, he wears the tunic his father gave him which shows the sigil of a place his father knew but he's never seen and cannot name. The sigil shows an armed griffin passant on a white and blue field.

Binder Fred

"Ah, Stellan?" The young elf stops, looks between his newfound quarry and the foremost of his few friends... "Would you, perhaps, care to join me in a walk?" A most disarming smile, green eyes aglow with the pleasure of secrets shared: "I am stalking a demon."

<Response Stellan?>

OOC: I'm suppossing that this occurs early in Antares's walk down the street so that we have time to talk as they walk. Correct me if I'm wrong, Gambler.
«Some times later:
The young man with the potatoes pauses, and then turns to go into the Half and Human Inn through one of the side doors.
Antares frows, lightly: what now..? "Perhaps we can observe through the front windows?"

[sblock=Inn questions]What's the layout like in there, Gambler? Is that side door usually for public access? Do they know where it connects to (the inn's main room or a side room/corridor?) and/or does it have a window next to it? Does the inn have one big room where they could, indeed, watch the happenings from the front windows?[/sblock]

Remove ads