• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legality of AL adventures on Dungeon Masters Guild

RulesJD

First Post
Okay I'm sorry, but let's be honest. If you're that hard up that you or one of your players can't drop a few bucks (less than the cost of one beer, much less how ever else I would spend my free evenings), about .2 seconds of googlefu gets you the modules for free.

Honestly, I'm glad they're monetizing and I look forward to buying every expedition for DMs that want to run them (with me as a player of course). More money = more likely stores will have more D&D nights rather than being overran by other, higher revenue generating games *cough*Magic*cough*.

Is it nice having stores let you play for free? Of course it is. But you know what's better? Having stores that are financially stable and that have an incentive to let D&D players have more tables.

Inconnunom

Explorer
Okay I'm sorry, but let's be honest. If you're that hard up that you or one of your players can't drop a few bucks (less than the cost of one beer, much less how ever else I would spend my free evenings), about .2 seconds of googlefu gets you the modules for free.

Honestly, I'm glad they're monetizing and I look forward to buying every expedition for DMs that want to run them (with me as a player of course). More money = more likely stores will have more D&D nights rather than being overran by other, higher revenue generating games *cough*Magic*cough*.

Is it nice having stores let you play for free? Of course it is. But you know what's better? Having stores that are financially stable and that have an incentive to let D&D players have more tables.

As of right now, there isn't a whole lot of incentive to play at a store vs playing at home. You can be more selective with your group and get all the same benefits. As long as you show up for "Launch Day" you are golden. Especially if they admins can't get certs for stores approved.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
As of right now, there isn't a whole lot of incentive to play at a store vs playing at home. You can be more selective with your group and get all the same benefits. As long as you show up for "Launch Day" you are golden. Especially if they admins can't get certs for stores approved.

That might well be the point -- there are stores that might well like the idea of a 'launch day', where players come in and play and pick up the new book, who don't like the hassle of organizing a weekly session, rounding up DMs, etc. The program just got a lot friendlier for those stores**.

Stores that do see weekly play as part of their business model will still be able to incorporate it; there may be a few extra wrinkles to accommodate, and some of those stores might find those wrinkles not worth accommodating, but that's a choice the stores can make on their own.

I suspect the number of stores benefited by the change exceeds the number of stores disadvantaged by it, though I have no hard data to support that.

--
Pauper

** - Keeping in mind that participation in those events were part of what gave a store 'premier' status for D&D, and allowed them to, for instance, get in the new book before Amazon can sell it. For some stores, participating was likely an unpleasant chore they felt they had to do to get the product in early. Now, with 'launch day' being pretty much the only store-exclusive program, qualifying to be a premier store likely just got simpler.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads