Legend of Earthsea

Laurel

First Post
The Computer Graphics definitly needed work, and no the acting wasn't great. But it was what I expected from a SciFi miniseries- an overall okay feel.

Apparently it devates from the books and meshes lots of things together and addes lots of stuff in, but I can only take the word of my husband till I read the books next month. Did Le Guin have anything to do with the actual production/direction of the show?
Did anyone else notice a lot the same last name combos in the credits?

Mystery Man

First Post
I like it!

It certainly was not on the level of the LoTR series in CGI or acting...BUT...it was not Dungeons and Dragons so going by that scale of criteria, it was pretty darn good.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Found it so so, it did not hold my attention, acting weak and nothing to standout in the characters, part of this I think is do to them building to climix by jumping over devolopment, both of story and character because it is only a four hour mini-series (160 minutes (2.5 hours) after commericals)).

Laurel said:
Did Le Guin have anything to do with the actual production/direction of the show?
No. There's a small story on her in this week's Entertainment Weekly. Bascially, she said that they totally missed the point of the books, but she didnt' seem to care since the books will last much longer than the t.v. movie.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
I'm watching it now...the urge to erase the tape, is creating muscle spams.

What is...Sci Fic thinking.

*For the respect of the author and the actors involved, will finish in seeing it *

Storm Raven

First Post
Laurel said:
Apparently it devates from the books and meshes lots of things together and addes lots of stuff in, but I can only take the word of my husband till I read the books next month. Did Le Guin have anything to do with the actual production/direction of the show?

No, and it shows. As a rendition of the story of Earthsea, the miniseries ranges from "embarassingly bad" to "offensive". Changes ranging from the incomprehensible and minor reversal of Ged/Sparrowhawk's true name and use name, to completely changing the nature of the priestesses on Atuan from worshipping the power of the nameless ones to defending against them to the introduction of the entire "King Tygarth the Conquerer" silliness.

The characters in the miniseries have similar names to those in the book. Other than that, they pretty much monkeyed with (and in many cases completely removed or added) everything else.

Storm Raven

First Post
Mystery Man said:
I found it watchable and entertaining.

Note that I didn't say that it was a poor television story. I said as a rendition of the story of Earthsea it was embarassingly bad to offensive. Let me also add, after watching the second part, the description of "incomprehensible", given that the story's resolution makes no sense.

Last edited:

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Breaking a long tradition of not buying books for anything translated to TV. I will be buying the books to see the truth on what the premise is truly.

Wow, never has anything of this nature, has ever made me do that.

Visual good looking...but the directors, the producers, and the screenplay writers, need to have their brains and -----, just that...wash with soap.

Unbelieveable scalpping was done here, just unreal.

Last edited:

Remove ads