Sean's Picks of the Week (1120-1124) - Black Friday Big Picks Week!

As you read this, it's likely the shopping extravaganza that marks the days after the American holiday, Thanksgiving, has begun. From Black Friday through the following Cyber Monday, those who create, make, and sell things are doing anything they can to get everyone else to buy things, so it's a good time to look for special deals and offers. It's also the time of year folks save up to get those extra-special things (like big-ticket gaming products) they've wanted all year long...

ARMS OF THE CHOSEN

With Black Friday and Cyber Monday soon upon us, I decided this week’s theme is Black Friday Big Picks Week. I’ll be focusing on top releases that folks you love who game may well wish to receive as a nice gift.

Today, I’m opening up with the current top-seller on DriveThruRPG – Arms of the Chosen. It’s a powerful sourcebook for Exalted, signaling a new commitment from Onyx Path to maintain top-level support for their hyper-fantasy setting.

Take up the panoply of legendary heroes and lost ages, and awaken the world-shaking might of their Evocations. Before the dawn of time, the Exalted wielded god-metal blades to cast down the makers of the universe. In an ancient epoch of forgotten glories, Creationís greatest artificers forged unimaginable wonders and miracle-machines.

Now, in the Age of Sorrows, kingdoms go to war over potent artifacts, scavenger princes risk everything to uncover relics of the past, and the Exalted forge great arms and armor on the anvil of legend. These treasures are yours to master.

Discover the mystical power of the five magical materials and the secrets of creating your own Evocations. Wield weapons of fabled might and don the armor of mythic heroes, making their puissance your own. Claim Creationís wonders: the miraculous tools of the Chosen, living automatons, flying machines, hearthstones, and more. And unleash the mighty warstriders, titanic god-engines of conquest and devastation, to once more shake Creation with their footfalls.

NOTE: This is the Advance PDF and we will be adjusting this based on errata from buyers and then creating the final PDF and PoD files. Purchasers of the Advance PDF will receive a coupon for the PoD so that their combined purchase amount will be the cost of buying the PDF/PoD combo.

DELTA GREEN HANDLER'S GUIDE

Today’s Black Friday Big Picks Week selection features yet another big-ticket item in the insanely popular Delta Green series. This is technothriller/modern-day presentation of the Cthulhu mythos that brings all that cosmic horror in line with how you already see a dark and stormy world.

Delta Green Handler’s Guide is massive, full-color volume is filled with deep resources just for the Delta Green game master.

• THE PAST: details on the world and history of Delta Green.
  • THE UNNATURAL: details on the Cthulhu Mythos, from monsters to hypergeometry to the Great Old Ones, including rules for creating new threats.
  • THE SCHISM: deep details on the Delta Green organization itself — or rather, two different Delta Green groups, not always working to the same ends.
  • THE OPERA: guidelines for creating scenarios, running campaigns, and customizing the setting.
  • APPENDICES: a ready-to-play scenario, “The Sentinels of Twilight,” a Handler-facing glossary, index, recommended media, sample NPCs to use in any game, rules variants, and more.

Further terrors can be found in the companion volume, the silver Ennie Award-winning AGENT’S HANDBOOK, and in the free quickstart rules, the gold Ennie Award-winning NEED TO KNOW.

RED MARKETS

When I think of top-selling games that gain a lot of attention, one described as dedicated to “economic horror” doesn’t immediately jump to mind. Nonetheless, Red Markets makes the Black Friday Big Picks Week because a whole lot of folks serious dig the strange mix of post-apocalypse/zombie survival horror and the intricacies of acquisitions and trade this game thrives upon.

Red Markets is a tabletop RPG about economic horror.

In Red Markets, characters risk their lives trading between the massive quarantine zones containing a zombie outbreak and the remains of civilization. They are Takers: mercenary entrepreneurs unwilling to accept their abandonment. Bound together into competing crews, each seeks to profit from mankind’s near-extinction before it claims them. They must hustle, scheme, and scam as hard as they fight if they hope to survive the competing factions and undead hordes the GM throws at them.

Takers that are quick, clever, or brutal enough might live to see retirement in a safe zone, but many discover too late that the cycle of poverty proves harder to escape than the hordes of undead. Red Markets uses the traditional zombie genre to tell a story about surviving on the wrong end of the economy. It’s cut-throat capitalism with its knife on your neck.

FREEDOM CITY

One big thing to be thankful for on this particular day is freedom, and nothing says freedom like Freedom City for Mutants & Masterminds (Third Edition). This is my shout-out to the awesome Green Ronin folks, as well as pointing out a major choice for Black Friday Big Picks Week!

With the Mutants & Masterminds RPG you have the power to become a hero. Freedom City gives you the world’s most renowned city of heroes to rescue from the forces of evil! Called “the greatest superhero setting ever,” the award-winning Freedom City is a fully realized and detailed metropolis that can serve as a home base for your heroes or just one of the many places they visit while saving the world of Earth-Prime from disaster. Your heroes can fight the forces of SHADOW, puzzle out the schemes of the Labyrinth, and defeat the alien invaders Syzygy and the Meta-Grue. With dozens of foes and hundreds of locations, Freedom City gives you everything you need to run an exciting Mutants & Masterminds campaign. Use it on its own or in conjunction with Emerald City and the Atlas of Earth-Prime for world-spanning action!

ADVENTURES IN MIDDLE-EARTH: MIRKWOOD CAMPAIGN

And here we are on the eponymous Friday of Black Friday Big Picks Week, with the latest release for the grand-daddy of all fantasy adventure settings, playable in the grand-daddy of all RPG systems, tearing up the sales charts and waiting for you to dive right in for Tolkien-esque adventuring! Adventures in Middle Earth – Mirkwood Campaign takes you to one of the most famous – and dangerous – places the Professor ever imagined.

The Necromancer may have been cast out of Dol Guldur, but a lingering darkness remains over Mirkwood, a shadow that will grow ever longer as the years draw on – unless a fellowship of heroes step forward and hold back the gloom.

The Mirkwood Campaign™ for Adventures in Middle-earth™ includes enough adventure material to keep you playing for months or even years, and includes new rules that give your heroes a real stake in what happens to the world around them.

The Mirkwood Campaign provides unique campaign framework penned by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan and Francesco Nepitello for The One Ring Roleplaying Game, converted to Adventures in Middle-earth by Jacob Rodgers.

Visit the Parliament of Spiders, do battle with the Nazgûl, meddle in the affairs of Wizards and enter the Halls of King Thranduil. Stand firm against the Shadow and maybe the Darkening can be averted. Falter for even a moment and all that you know and love will be lost.

What is the Mirkwood Campaign?
The Mirkwood Campaign began life as The Darkening of Mirkwood for The One Ring. We’ve now converted it to be fully compatible with Adventures in Middle-earth, using the 5th Edition OGL ruleset. It’s a campaign framework that guides your game through 30 years of in-game adventures.

The Mirkwood Campaign covers 30 years from Gollum first passing through Mirkwood in 2947 to the sad death of King Bard.

The supplement breaks these decades into four sections and then further details each year, giving you the major events that happen in an unfolding story. These events cover both the wider world with its unfolding epic as the events of Lord of the Rings draw ever closer, as well as the more personal fate of the Woodmen and the rise of Dol Guldur, into which events the Player-heroes are thrust.

(There’s a lot more to this – hit the link to read it all.)

-----

Today, my friends and I are avoiding the insanity by hanging out at the Silver Unicorn Pub (what I turned my living room into), eating leftovers, enjoying tasty beverages, and watching fun movies. Tonight, it's off to Boulder (thanks to all-important designated drivers) for the extraordinary pub crawl that is SantiCon.

(Check out the Enforcer Elf who will be hanging out with Santa Pimp!)

Hope you have a great weekend ahead!

The Adventure Continues!

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases