Legend of Earthsea

sniffles

First Post
You should have listened to our warnings and spared yourself. ;)

Hopefully the anime version will be more satisfying, although I already know it's not going to be any more faithful to the source material.

Squire James

First Post
I doubt involving Le Guin in the filming of the movie would have made it much better. Some of the things she fixed on in the books would have made horrid movie material too. That being said, this movie had too many things wrong it's easier to tell what's right and declare that everything else was wrong.

The dragon was done right. That's about it. Everything else was borrowing loosely from the books, putting them in the wrong places at the wrong times. To use a LoTR reference, the movie was full of "Go away, Sam!" moments. Stuff that would make someone who liked the books cringe.

Like Jeez, they couldn't even get the main character's NAMES right! In a world where true names were the basis of magic, no less!

Storm Raven

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Sorry about the thread necromancy, but, well, I've just had the opportunity to watch this miniseries.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I couldn't believe that the story which they had created using the words Ged and Earthsea could actually be as bad as people said.

If only everyone hadn't been so generous about it!

I suppose it isn't well enough known to get a decent treatment (a la LotR), but one can hope, maybe, someday...

What parts of "embarrasingly bad", "offensive", and "incomprehensible" are unclear?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Hope the books are good, as I just bought mixed releases of them for my son for his upcoming birthday from the used bookstore.

Wow, that was a poorly constructed sentence, but I hope you got the idea.

sniffles

First Post
Squire James said:
I doubt involving Le Guin in the filming of the movie would have made it much better. Some of the things she fixed on in the books would have made horrid movie material too. That being said, this movie had too many things wrong it's easier to tell what's right and declare that everything else was wrong.

The dragon was done right. That's about it. Everything else was borrowing loosely from the books, putting them in the wrong places at the wrong times. To use a LoTR reference, the movie was full of "Go away, Sam!" moments. Stuff that would make someone who liked the books cringe.

Like Jeez, they couldn't even get the main character's NAMES right! In a world where true names were the basis of magic, no less!
I actually understand the way they changed Ged's names around from a tv perspective. TV producers always play to the lowest common denominator, and they probably figured that 'Sparrowhawk' was too long a name for the average viewer to remember.

It's too bad they think all their viewers are so stupid. :\

But having Danny Glover be the only black person in the entire cast was pretty depressing. And turning the priestesses of the Nameless Ones into nicey-nice nuns was infuriating. Isabella Rossellini was wasted, and Kristin Kreuk was worthless. :mad:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases