D&D General Legend of Vox Machina Trailer Released

Critical Role’s The Legend of Vox Machina will be released on Amazon streaming in batches of three episodes. Season 1 will release on Amazon Prime Video as follows: Friday, January 28th: Episodes 1-3 Friday, February 4th: Episodes 4-6 Friday, February 11th: Episodes 7-9 Friday, February 18th: Episodes 10-12

Critical Role’s The Legend of Vox Machina will be released on Amazon streaming in batches of three episodes. Season 1 will release on Amazon Prime Video as follows:
  • Friday, January 28th: Episodes 1-3
  • Friday, February 4th: Episodes 4-6
  • Friday, February 11th: Episodes 7-9
  • Friday, February 18th: Episodes 10-12

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
That narrows their numbers a LOT. Each group you add lowers it's appeal to general audiences. Normally you want to appeal to a larger and bigger audience rather than go niche.

I know it may appeal to many here that don't fall into the categories I listed, but (and meaning no offense) we here are a very small minority compared to the numbers who are the actual viewing public.

With what they've done I see it turning off a LOT of households (cartoon with violence and language...which is kind of like South Park, but this isn't a straight comedy and fantasy is another arena that makes it a smaller appeal already). It's not like Futurama which addresess some adult ideas but is clean overall, this series appears that it is going to be far over the top with language and violence from what I've seen already.

The only thing I can see keeping this from stopping anymore series like this being made and this being the last set of cartoons like this is Jeff Bezos. I think he is a MAJOR fan of D&D stuff and Fantasy...soooo...I could see him continuing it even if it has terrible numbers. That's happened before so not unprecedented...

But I just don't see this drawing in massive numbers or having the appeal that some of their other shows have.

I could be wrong (and I know everyone here probably hopes or thinks that I am), but I just don't see this show having a massive appeal overall. I think it may appeal to a subset of college age and a little older viewing audiences, but I don't see it catching on otherwise. I see it as a massive gamble (college age kids can make a cult series and things like that which persist, but just as often they drop them).
Nah, this will appeal to people who have never played D&D and never heard of Critical Role. Anime is huge now among Junior High School and High School kids. I think this will appeal to many of them. Just like the Critical Role of the live stream brought a lot of new players to the hobby, I think that this will do so even more. Amazon wouldn't have bought the rights to it if they didn't do their market research and think there was a potentially large audience for it. Whether it is personally your cup of tea or not, this is a great thing for the hobby.

MNblockhead

When Doctor Who gets lower than 3 million viewers questions come up on whether it should/will be cancelled or not by some.

There have been shows on streaming that had over 2 million viewers and got cancelled for lack of interest (netflix, we are looking at you).

Bigger shows look for upwards of 7 to 20 million viewers.

1.4 million is good for critical role, but is it good for Amazon...and how many of those will actually use Amazon Prime to watch the show?
I predict it will surpass 3 million viewers. Great voice acting, good story, and excellent animation for those who are into it. The violence will probably be a draw. It certainly didn't hurt Castlevania.

MNblockhead

It doesn't.

Most likely none of us can tell if it will be or not.

I am just going off of what they normally look at to determine whether a series will have a better chance of success or not. This is why Marvel normally has certain rules about what material goes into a Marvel movie and almost none are over a PG-13 rating.

You have those that break these barriers (such as Deadpool), but you also have your Suicide Squads and Birds of Prey as well when you decide to go all adult and ignore the family or other audiences.

I wonder if the same rules apply to Amazon / Netflix shows. I mean, Attack on Titan is an extremely graphic and violent anime series and it is HUGE.

MNblockhead

The Expanse?

I generally agree with your points though.

I thought the Expanse Game came after the TV show, which came after the books. Not that it matters to me. You can play a TTRPG as a drama or a slap-stick comedy. Critical Role has both, but is heavy on humor.

Reynard

Legend
If I remember correctly they were going to do a video game first, based on their campaign. Then an RPG. They had so much backstory and lore they put a book together for lulz and viola!
A friend of mine knows Daniel Abraham, who told him RPGs were good for world building but not for plots. As an author I concur. RPG campaigns only look like well crafted stories in retrospect and will lots of editing.

Remove ads

Remove ads