D&D General Legend of Vox Machina Trailer Released

Critical Role’s The Legend of Vox Machina will be released on Amazon streaming in batches of three episodes. Season 1 will release on Amazon Prime Video as follows: Friday, January 28th: Episodes 1-3 Friday, February 4th: Episodes 4-6 Friday, February 11th: Episodes 7-9 Friday, February 18th: Episodes 10-12

Critical Role’s The Legend of Vox Machina will be released on Amazon streaming in batches of three episodes. Season 1 will release on Amazon Prime Video as follows:
  • Friday, January 28th: Episodes 1-3
  • Friday, February 4th: Episodes 4-6
  • Friday, February 11th: Episodes 7-9
  • Friday, February 18th: Episodes 10-12

Sounds like it has lots of language and extreme violence.

So...definitely not something parents will want their kids (and maybe even not teens depending on the parents) watching.

Not really made to appeal to those over 35 (though there will be those that age and older who it WILL appeal to, don't get me wrong, just not the audience they are wanting) as it sounds (the trailer) actually written for kids (but see the above).

My best guess is they are aiming for college age?

Rated M?
Have you ever heard of the Netflix show Big Mouth? I have no idea who the target audience is for that show and I can't believe it's a thing that Netflix greenlit, but it's already had five seasons and is getting a spin-off. I'm not certain traditional age demographics matter much anymore.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Have you ever heard of the Netflix show Big Mouth? I have no idea who the target audience is for that show and I can't believe it's a thing that Netflix greenlit, but it's already had five seasons and is getting a spin-off. I'm not certain traditional age demographics matter much anymore.
Well, it won awards and the first season had more than 20 million viewers, so it shouldn't be too big of a surprise. It's a genius show, IMO. It allows teens to have a show that talks about things that happen as teens but no one ever talks about. I'm sure that brutal honesty is a reason for it's popularity.

It's basically like if you mixed South Park with legitimate sex ed videos. I assume the intended target demo is "kids who would watch something like South Park without their parents knowing".

There was also just recently that show Arcane on Netflix which has done pretty well and gotten a second season greenlit. It's basically an animated fantasy steampunk series with violence and swearing. Not to mention Amazon Prime's own Invincible, which spends the first episode pretending to be a standard superhero cartoon before swerving hard into violence, swearing, and sexual situations for the rest of the series.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I’ve never heard of that show
The streaming wars plus algorithms mean that shows can be massive and you can go unaware of them for months unless they're pushed on the home page or they enter a state of pop culture osmosis. I didn't know Squid Game was a thing for months because I don't touch on anything that would serve death games up to me and it's like the most successful thing Netflix has ever done.

Ironically, people complained to Netflix about that also not being for kids.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I know that Critical Role is super popular. I think this will do well and I hope it attracts more fans to the hobby.

I'm not sure I'm not excited. It looks like it's leaning heavily of profanity and graphic violence, which I find off putting. It's not that you can't have a good show with those things in it, but for me a show needs to have other aspects like story and character that make we watch it despite the violence and profanity, where as the trailers I've seen for Vox Machina seem to use it as a selling point.

Remove ads

Remove ads