Critical Role Legend of Vox Machina

Critical Role's animated show (originally funded by a $10M crowdfunding campaign which broke $1M in under an hour, and then picked up by Amazon for 2 seasons) launches on 4th February 2022. You can now see a preview.

I tried it in podcast form, but still found myself growing bored. I normally have a good attention span, but I think if someone asked me to watch a four-hour movie, I'd feel the same way as with CR.

Looking forward to it coming out on Prime and getting to finally give it a proper shot.

super late reply, but just wanted to say that I have the same problem, so I just listen to about anhour at a time when it comes out in podcast form.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I tried it in podcast form, but still found myself growing bored. I normally have a good attention span, but I think if someone asked me to watch a four-hour movie, I'd feel the same way as with CR.

Looking forward to it coming out on Prime and getting to finally give it a proper shot.
I kinda wish someone would edit each episode into roughly 1 hour segments. Even 2 hour segments would probably make it more accessible.

So apparently the reason Legend of Vox Machina is on Amazon Prime is because other streaming services wanted significant changes to the Critical Role team's vision:

“There were other potential distributors that we were talking about that were more interested in making it maybe a children’s show, or wanting to go a different direction, or [make it into a] more serious political fantasy, a la Game of Thrones.”
Source

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I kinda wish someone would edit each episode into roughly 1 hour segments. Even 2 hour segments would probably make it more accessible.
I just listen to it while running or cutting grass, or driving. Then hit pause.

Sure that I miss some nuances by not watching, but I get the full on voice "image" of each character in my head, so I see/hear Grog or Fjord during the show instead of Travis.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Just watched episodes 1 and 2.

Definitely enjoyed it as it hit all the notes of the series. There was one scene with Scanlan and "the daughter" that was a little too over the top.

Otherwise I really liked it a lot, and don't understand the folks saying "hope it picks up in episode 3". Seems fine, but if it gets better thats cool too.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Just watched episodes 1 and 2.

Definitely enjoyed it as it hit all the notes of the series. There was one scene with Scanlan and "the daughter" that was a little too over the top.

Otherwise I really liked it a lot, and don't understand the folks saying "hope it picks up in episode 3". Seems fine, but if it gets better thats cool too.
Yeah, saw a little too much of Scanlan there in that scene.

I think it's traditional "Pilotitis," with the awkward "here's an introduction to the characters" not quite clicking with people yet. Still great, though.

Remove ads

Remove ads