D&D 5E Legendary Actions (from HotDQ download)

Samurai

Adventurer
It seems that certain powerful creatures (dragons, vampires) get something called "Legendary Actions". Basically, they are 3 actions that they get to take each turn after an opponent finishes their turn. The dragons can Detect, tail slap, or wing buffet (costs 2 LA's), the vampire can move without drawing AoO, punch, or bite (costs 2 LA's). All Legendary Action points recharge at the start of the monster's turn.

So, an example as I understand it:

Monster gets his full turn.
Player 1 goes.
Monster gets Legendary Action.
Player 2 goes.
Monster gets Legendary Action.
Player 3 goes.
Monster gets Legendary Action (unless he used the "costs 2 LA's" option already).
Any other players go.
Monster gets full turn, and repeat.

Since he can only use 1 LA per enemy's turn, if he's only facing 1 opponent, he can only use 1 Legendary Action before it comes back to his turn again.

All the monsters in HotDQ get 3 LA's, but I could see varying that if it makes a battle too tough for the PCs... maybe only give the monster 1 or 2 LA's instead of 3 per turn.

What do people think of Legendary Actions? This is the 1st I'd heard of them, and they make boss monsters very scary IMO.

heptat

Explorer
What do people think of Legendary Actions? This is the 1st I'd heard of them, and they make boss monsters very scary IMO.

How you describe it *seems* correct. Haven't had a chance to play it out yet...

And yes, *very* scary which is very cool :cool:

Li Shenron

Legend
I also read it in the same way.

I think it's a very interesting mechanic, only those actions aren't particularly "legendary" but rather simply additional attacks.

I think it would be more cool if they could take some more interesting actions such as spells or special abilities, but eventually they would be too powerful within this "3 per turn" mechanics. Had they built a "3 per encounter" mechanics it would have worked.

heptat

Explorer
I also read it in the same way.

I think it's a very interesting mechanic, only those actions aren't particularly "legendary" but rather simply additional attacks.

I think it would be more cool if they could take some more interesting actions such as spells or special abilities, but eventually they would be too powerful within this "3 per turn" mechanics. Had they built a "3 per encounter" mechanics it would have worked.

I understand what you're saying, but I like the LA mechanic because I suspect it'll be easier to DM (at least for me) because I can keep focus on those actions per turn, instead of worrying about when in the encounter to play one of the "big three". :)

MortalPlague

Adventurer
As someone who's been playtesting Tyranny of Dragons, the legendary actions are fantastic.

It really gives the dragons a dangerous feel. Monsters so potent can break the action economy, and it feels appropriately powerful. It does not, however, imbalance the game; rather, the legendary actions are considered to be a part of the monster's challenge.

Wolfskin

Explorer
I think it's an interesting mechanic- instead of giving the big monsters a bunch of multiple attacks, they can take their turn and take a number of additional actions spread out during the rest of the round. Makes sense to me.

Uchawi

First Post
It would be nice to have some meta-mechanic behind the scenes that grants legendary actions out based on monster level, so there is not a steep curve when they are granted. So certain creatures may start out with a single legendary action and go from there. It would help prevent legendary actions from appearing arbitrary just so the DM can present a challenge to the players. Overall, I would love a monster design guide to discuss how abilities are granted out when considering CR or experience.

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
I like the theory behind them. They seem like a natural outgrowth of late 4E solo design, which is the only time solos have really been done right IMO.

The best thing about the design of the Legendary Actions is that they are sprinkled throughout the combat round, keeping the solo active (and in the players' minds) for the full round and not merely on the solo's turn. Solos need to be a constant and surprising threat to be truly dramatic and interesting.

Remove ads