D&D 5E Legendary Adventures: Epic 5E Kickstarter

Wish that killer D&D 5E game didn't end at 20th level? Keen on taking up a fight with a god? Looking to sunder worlds? I have a thing for you.

Wish that killer D&D 5E game didn't end at 20th level? Keen on taking up a fight with a god? Looking to sunder worlds? I have a thing for you.

Legendary Adventures cover snapshot.jpg

What is this? A 128 page sourcebook for adventuring through 21st–30th level, including epic hazards and a bestiary of 50 lethal monsters.

How much is it? $12 for the PDF, $30 plus shipping and handling for the shiny hardcover.

Why? Many years ago, before the before time shortly after 5E came out, the Hypercorps 2099 Kickstarter (my second project; this is #10) hit a stretch goal for a 5E conversion. I am immensely proud of how the Pathfinder version of that book came out, but the 5E conversion just didn't jive right. It can still be fun mind you—the numbers just didn't work out right for the Hyper Score framework.

That still drives me right up the wall.

This book is my fix for that and after a year of playtesting I am EXTREMELY pleased with how it came out! Not only are the rules tight as a drum, but this is easily the prettiest book I've ever put together.

Epic DnD 5E spreads.gif

128 pages sounds extremely short for you. What are you hiding? Your keen instincts are correct—there is more to this project than the book. Throughout the rest of this month I'll be posting Epic Archetype Features to www.epic5e.com for every single D&D 5E archetype. Originally these were going to be included in the book but ultimately I decided that online was the smarter choice. First of all I'd need to run a playtest game every day for more than a year to playtest all of that material, and perhaps more importantly it would have made most of the book into archetype features (roughly 30 pages of material).

That'd hardly be an agile tool! This whole design—the epic class levels, the hazards, the monsters—is fundamentally built on the principles of D&D 5E, reinforcing and strengthening them for high level play. So as much as I love big honking tomes (and I do, I've made several in excess of 300 pages) the right choice design-wise was to go lighter rather than heavier.
Time Maestro.png
When does it end? The Kickstarter closes on Thursday, April 22nd at 4:59 PM EST. You've got just under a month to get your pledge in!

Where can I pledge? Right here! Legendary Adventures: Epic D&D 5E

First Stretch Goal: Epic Depths, an adventure for 21st level characters that'll be unlocked at $10,000

epic depths stretch goal.jpg

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

Waller

Legend
Level Up is compatible with all the existing WotC 5E material, and most of the material in this book. Unlike most 5E books Legendary Adventures extends the original 5E class builds, which Level Up replaces. LU isn't finalized but I'm pretty sure it's not going to make a lot of sense to take your O5E fighter at 14th level and then at 15th level start using the LU fighter class (and that nowhere did anyone say that it would). Same thing going on here.
I'm still as confused as I was.

So can I or can I not play a Legendary Adventures character in a Level Up game?

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?

If you built the character from 1st-20th using O5E rules, yes you can use it to play in Level Up and the remainder of changes in that book (aside from class design) won't be a problem.

If you built the character from 1st-20th using Level Up, some things will not make sense depending on the character class.

dave2008

Legend
Huh. So Level Up isn’t compatible with all 5E material? That was the selling point for me.
I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding something. You can play a LevelUp character with any 5e Adventure or any 5e monster. However, the LevelUp classes are different than the O5e ones (otherwise what is the point). These epic rules are built off the O5e classes. not the LevelUp ones.

dave2008

Legend

Simple answer: yes. If you have followed LevelUp. I don't think you would have this question or there would be any confusion.

Now, Level Up only goes to lvl 20, so using a Character from Legendary Adventures which is specifically past lvl 20 is not exactly fair, but you can do it.

Waller

Legend
Simple answer: yes. If you have followed LevelUp. I don't think you would have this question or there would be any confusion.
Somebody asked the lead designer on Level Up:

Will this project be compatible with Level Up?
The lead designer on Level Up replied:
Initially no

He specifically said it was not compatible with Level Up. He answered "no" when asked if it was compatible with Level Up. And he's the lead project guy on both products.

I'd suggest that any confusion isn't down to me.

dave2008

Legend
Somebody asked the lead designer on Level Up:

The lead designer on Level Up replied:

He specifically said it was not compatible with Level Up. He answered "no" when asked if it was compatible with Level Up. And he's the lead project guy on both products.

I'd suggest that any confusion isn't down to me.
I don't think Mike is the lead designer on Level Up (he is a designer though I think). This is not LevelUP, this is Legendary Adventures (which Mike is the lead designer of). I was referring to levelUp's compatibility when you said:

Huh. So Level Up isn’t compatible with all 5E material? That was the selling point for me.
Level Up (LvlUp) is compatible with D&D 5e (O5e) Material. Legendary Adventures (LA) is not LvlUp.

Strictly speaking, LA isn't 5e material, though it too is compatible with O5e.

The issue of compatability between LvlUp ad LA is that LA expands the O5e classes to lvl 30, not the LvlUp classes. So LA doesn't provide a lvl 21-30 version of the LvlUp "Adept" class (this is why Mike said "no" in the response above). However, you can use a LA character or monster in an O5e game or a LvlUp game.

Does that make sense now?

PS - In truth we need to define "compatible" to eliminate all confusion, but I don't feel like putting that amount of effort in this discussion.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
And he's the lead project guy on both products.
FYI, I just checked and Mike is one of over 20 people involved in LevelUp (Level Up Team), but he is not credited as "lead" designer. In fact, no one is. However, if I would have to put a name to it I would say it was Morrus, the owner of this site and EnWorld publishing which is making level up. I could be wrong though. I guess @Mike Myler could clarify for us.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
FYI, I just checked and Mike is one of over 20 people involved in LevelUp (Level Up Team), but he is not credited as "lead" designer. In fact, no one is. However, if I would have to put a name to it I would say it was Morrus, the owner of this site and EnWorld publishing which is making level up. I could be wrong though. I guess @Mike Myler could clarify for us.
Mike is project manager on the core rulebook. Paul Hughes is project manager on the monster book.

dave2008

Legend
I’m confused. I thought you said Level Up was 100% compatible with 5E books, but it’s not compatible with this 5E book? Is it compatible with 5E or not?
I think the bolded part is the source of confusion. Legendary Adventures is a 5e compatible book, it is not a 5e book. Only WotC can make a 5e book.

Level Up is also a 5e compatible book.

Remove ads

Remove ads