D&D 5E Legendary Concentration

Should BBEGs be able to Concentrate on multiple effects?

• Yes, they need to do more stuff.

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • No, one is plenty

Votes: 11 44.0%

DM: Behold, a terrifying monster! What do you do?
Fighter: I draw my sword!
Invisible flying wizard from behind his phalanx of summoned fire elementals: Don't worry, I've got this.

I largely think the Concentration mechanic was a brilliant addition to D&D and, more than any other particular thing, resolved the LFQW problem. However, I think it makes magic-using monsters incredibly anticlimactic. They get to typically sustain one effect and then blast away. I've started letting solos concentrate on multiple spells, since spells are much rarer among monsters than adventurers, and a high level-monster with low-level Concentration spells hardly ever has a good reason to use them (especially since many spells have had their duration cut to 60 seconds).

Do you think certain monsters should be able to concentrate on multiple spells? Should a Lich be able to cast Cloudkill from inside his Globe of Invulnerability? Should Yeenoghu be able to cast Fear while sustaining Detect Magic?

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
I came up with a Concentration house rule for spellcasters to allow multiple concentration spells at once. It would also be usable by monsters, especially big bosses.

(CAVEAT: This is an idea I plan to test out, and I have had no playtesting to see in action - so it's all theoretical)

A spellcaster can concentrate on a maximum number of spells equal to their proficiency bonus.

Concentration on one spell is btb, no change. But when you add another, you immediately make an Intelligence check at DC 5 + all combined spell levels to cast a new concentration spell and keep the existing one(s) going. Failure means you lose them all.

While concentrating on two or more spells you are 'incapacitated' with regards to everything BUT spellcasting.

As each concentration spells end, you must make a DC5 + all spell levels Constitution check, if you fail you get a level of exhaustion. Roll for each one separately one at a time.

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
Do you think certain monsters should be able to concentrate on multiple spells? Should a Lich be able to cast Cloudkill from inside his Globe of Invulnerability? Should Yeenoghu be able to cast Fear while sustaining Detect Magic?
Sure, maybe as a legit Legendary Concentration thing that, like Legendary Resistance, has some limits on it. X times per day, only two spells at a time, disad on Concentration checks, something like that.

Or else, some of them could just be changed to innate abilities or one-use items. Yeenoghu could use an action to activate the ability to see magical auras, or a lich can throw a cloudkill-smokebomb.

I use the "Lair" to concentrate on other magical effects. It allows BBEGs to have multiple concentration effects while also allowing those effects to be interrupted by the PCs individually instead of all at the same time. This usually means calling out a magical artifact, set of runes, glowing tree, etc as a potential source of the concentration.

jgsugden

Legend
I allowed spellcasters to use "advanced concentration" rules in two games. Both were different rules.

In the first, it gave you "concentration points" equal to 1/2 your spellcasting level (rounded up). If you're a 9th level wizard, you get 5. If you're a 6th level wizard and 5th level ranger, you get 5.

Concentrating on the first spell requires you to use a number of points equal to the level at which you cast the spell. Concentrating on a second spell requires the same plus one. Concentrating on three requires plus two. A fourth would be plus three. Etc...

An 11th level wizard (6 points) could concentrate on:

• Four cantrips.
  • Three first level spells.
  • A fourth level spell and a first level spell.
  • A third level spell and up to a second level spell.
  • One fifth or sixth level spell.

In the second, you could concentrate on two spells so long as one targeted you, and only you.

Neither broke the game. The first confused people enough that I printed out cards for them to know what they could concentrate upon. The second was not too exciting as that campaign had relatively fewer spellcasters and the PC spellcaster was more of a blaster and knew few concentration spells.

NotAYakk

Legend
I'd create a summon or a homoculous that does the concentrating for secondary effects.

Include cues that this is the case, and let players disrupt that secondary concentration source separately. It can even have negative effects on the solo, as for a creature or device to replace your concentration you must be linked.

The lich might have a pillar of necrotic energy, the archmage a crystal throne, the alchemist a homoculous, etc.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Maybe just write it up so it has a perpetual aura of [effect]? Or a fly speed? I mean, that can sort some of the things that typically tie up concentration. Items that do these things without requiring concentration might be another way to cover this, if you don't mind your PCs getting those items after they kill the badguy, of course.

TheSword

Legend
I think that magic should follow rules of internal logic.

I have no problem with a creature being able to concentrate on two spells, due to its nature or specific training.

But ALL legendary creatures being able to do so, as a result of being legendary... no thanks.

I think that magic should follow rules of internal logic.

I have no problem with a creature being able to concentrate on two spells, due to its nature or specific training.

But ALL legendary creatures being able to do so, as a result of being legendary... no thanks.

What's an example of a legendary, spell-casting creature whose nature is something you feel would be completely incongruent with allowing it to concentrate on two spells?

Dausuul

Legend
For a legendary spellcaster, I would be inclined to give it a "multi-concentration" ability that could be targeted by the players. For example, a lich could be accompanied by the chained souls of three powerful wizards. When it casts a concentration spell, it can offload concentration onto one of those souls, forcing it to sustain the spell while the lich continues casting. (There would be a visible effect when it does this.)

The PCs could then target the chained souls. If you "kill" one, it is released into death, ending any spells it's maintaining. And maybe you can even release a chained soul from its binding and turn it into an ally against the lich.

Remove ads