D&D 5E Legendary Concentration

Should BBEGs be able to Concentrate on multiple effects?

• Yes, they need to do more stuff.

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • No, one is plenty

Votes: 11 44.0%

I've just been having them roll concentration saves for each effect if they get hit. I thought of letting players concentrate on one additional spell that is no more than half the level of their current spell...but idk, I don't feel like players are underpowered.

I personally find that concentration is fine and a really positive addition to the game.

However, if you do not feel that way, I still implore yopu to not add a "concentrate on any two spells" rule. Some combos are broken, some are fine with restrictions, and some seemingly obvious combos would be useless with restrictions. Do it case-by-case, and only let pre-vetted combos into the game.

Which means if you think this BBEG needs the ability to concentrate on both shadow blade and fly - go for it.

Quickleaf

Legend
DM: Behold, a terrifying monster! What do you do?
Fighter: I draw my sword!
Invisible flying wizard from behind his phalanx of summoned fire elementals: Don't worry, I've got this.

I largely think the Concentration mechanic was a brilliant addition to D&D and, more than any other particular thing, resolved the LFQW problem. However, I think it makes magic-using monsters incredibly anticlimactic. They get to typically sustain one effect and then blast away. I've started letting solos concentrate on multiple spells, since spells are much rarer among monsters than adventurers, and a high level-monster with low-level Concentration spells hardly ever has a good reason to use them (especially since many spells have had their duration cut to 60 seconds).

Do you think certain monsters should be able to concentrate on multiple spells? Should a Lich be able to cast Cloudkill from inside his Globe of Invulnerability? Should Yeenoghu be able to cast Fear while sustaining Detect Magic?
My answer is "no, but." No, I don't want to see monsters breaking the concentration rule. It's mostly an elegant rule, there's nothing wrong with it for players or monsters, and it's just the spell list that needs a little fine-tuning regarding which spells require concentration.

BUT. I think monsters that have spells should be designed – far more often than they are currently – with magical effects that liberally break the spell mold in ways that thematically reinforce the monster and create more interesting combats.

To take your lich combo-casting globe of invulnerability and cloudkill, maybe your lich villain has mastery over a demiplane filled with cloudkill and stinking cloud spells that were blown away into the demiplane. Maybe instead of those spells you give him this power (which is very roughly designed as an inspirational example, not a perfectly playtested example):

Dark Cloud (recharge 6).
A billowing cloud of foul gases springs into existence in a 20-foot radius around the lich. The cloud is heavily obscured for all creatures within it, except for the lich who can see normally. Creatures outside of the cloud treat it as only lightly obscured. Maintaining this cloud requires its concentration. It lasts for 1 minute or until dispersed by a strong wind.

Any spell of 5th level or lower cast from outside the cloud can't affect creatures or objects within it, even if the spell is cast using a higher level spell slot. Such a spell can target creatures and objects within the cloud, but the spell has no effect on them. Similarly, the area within the barrier is excluded from the areas affected by such spells.

When a creature enters the spell's area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, that creature must make a Constitution saving throw. The creature takes 5d8 poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Creatures are affected even if they hold their breath or don't need to breathe.

I'm fine with letting gods, demon princes, and other great powers from beyond the prime material plane double concentrate or some other such thing. Not giving Demogorgon the ability to concentrate on two spells seems like an oversight.

I think a lich is a poor choice for any form of extra concentration because liches clearly spent their formative years as Wizards or whatever, and at least many of us tend to imagine them having played by the rules the player characters do during that time. Players are likely to assume this high level spellcaster had magic that works like that of other high level spell casters (either those with PC levels or NPC equivalents like an archmage).

Yes one can argue that liches already get legendary resistances and legendary actions so why not give them one more thing. I would counter that that equally just means they have already gotten two things a player never gets and don't need a third, but, more importantly, that whatever they get out of lichiness, they still got their magic in the "mundane" mortal way and it should follow the rules it does for normal mortals.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I use the "Lair" to concentrate on other magical effects. It allows BBEGs to have multiple concentration effects while also allowing those effects to be interrupted by the PCs individually instead of all at the same time. This usually means calling out a magical artifact, set of runes, glowing tree, etc as a potential source of the concentration.
Magic items can also be made to do a similar thing, but if you run magic items like I do, ya gotta make it clear that the item is a focus that the NPC knows how to make run a concentration for them. Otherwise players will expect to gain that ability when they get the magic item.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I've considered reworking concentration a few times but it's so overused that I'd need to review & rework most of the spells chapter to sort the ones that need tweaks from the ones that are pointless

Quartz

Hero
When it casts a concentration spell, it can offload concentration onto one of those souls, forcing it to sustain the spell while the lich continues casting.

I vaguely remember a villain in one book or article doing something similar except he had four children chained to him.

I vaguely remember a villain in one book or article doing something similar except he had four children chained to him.
The Dread Emperor from the Book of Vile Darkness always has four children chained to him. The let him recall prepared spells at the cost of damaging the children.

Magic items can also be made to do a similar thing, but if you run magic items like I do, ya gotta make it clear that the item is a focus that the NPC knows how to make run a concentration for them. Otherwise players will expect to gain that ability when they get the magic item.
That came up with my group. They wanted to dig up the tree and use it for themselves. We talked and decided that they could replicate the effect but only in their own sanctum, temple, monastery, etc. No moving double concentration. One day I'll have to throw a BBEG at them during their downtime to make it worth it.

Remove ads