D&D 5E Legends and Lore July 28: Keeping it Classy

Saint&Sinner

Explorer
Batman in not a 1st level character

Since Batman is not a 1st level character why can't upper level feats, multi-classing, etc create a way to make what you'd like?

Klaus

First Post
I am shocked that they didn't include either the Thug Fighter or Brute Rogue. Both are iconic in 3e and 4e.

How can I be Batman now. Fighter/rogues never cut it. They never do.

Wanna show the dragon who is the night.

I suspect what you need is a Monk that follows the Way of Shadow. And a Cloak of the Bat. ;)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Since Batman is not a 1st level character why can't upper level feats, multi-classing, etc create a way to make what you'd like?

The character I based him off of was Jason Todd. I evolved into a Batman clone quickly. I had only slightly above average Dex and would rely on leaping on people and clobbering the survivors.

DM thought a recurring clown villain was sooooooo hilarious.

I suspect what you need is a Monk that follows the Way of Shadow. And a Cloak of the Bat. ;)

Maybe. I gotta see how tough the monk is. The playtest ones were as squishy as rogues.

Cloak of the Bat. Essential for the build. Activate cloak of the bat, falling sneak attack, and twf next turn.

Eirikrautha

First Post
Did anyone else notice this: "A sorcerer's magic arises from a sorcerous origin"?

Uhhh, Mike, in the dictionary under "redundant" it says "see redundant"... :lol:

gyor

Legend
If you want Batman go Avenger Paladin and get Tavern Brawler and pump dex and strength.

They even call the subclass the Dark Knight. And with find Steed you can summon a Giant Bat.

Hunter's Mark Spell allows you to deal more damage and track the spells target, Oath of Enimity channel divinity power gives you advantage agianst the target. He can cast haste on himself and it will work on his giant bat mount.

Soul of Vengence allows you to wack the target of your oath of enimity if they attack anyone else, Relentless Avenger allows you to move half your speed when you hit someone with an attack of opportunity, and Avenging Angel allows you to grow wings (bat cloak) and fly while projecting an aura of menance (causing fear) against any enemies that come near you. I could continue.

Tavern Brawler boost strength, gives him unarmed fighting and improvised weapon fighting, with grappling as a bonus action.

I'd say the Ninja Monk is more Nightcrawler, stealthy, bamphing ability, good unarmed attacks and wasn't Nightcrawler a monk or something at one time.

Fighter Battlemaster or Champion with Shield Master and Tavern Brawler is Captain America.

Monk of the 4 Elements or Barbarian Totem Warrior is Superman.

Dr. Strange is a Warlock.

She-ra Fey Bladelock maybe. Or Fey Knight.

Wolverine Champion Fighter.

Storm Tempest Domain Cleric. Use Magic Iniate feat to get shock grasp.

Godzilla, Dragonborn with an enlargement spell.

Lady Death, Eldrich Knight.

Purgatory Tiefling Dragon Sorceror.

Blink Tiefling (without horns) Fey Bladelock

Wonder Woman, Monk of the Way of the Open Hand.

Collosus Druid of the Circle of the Moon, becoming a Earth(metal) Elemental.

Li Shenron

Legend
Well, yes and no. You only get one sub-class per class and only at third level (presumable to reduce the temptation of dipping for sub-classes.) But you could theoretically pick up 6 sub-classes by 18th level if you were so inclined. And rolled really really well for stats, since you need to meet the prerequisites and spent your whole carrier dodging stat boosts.

At any rate the point is you can pick up more than one sub-class but it requires extensive multi-classing, which has it's own baked in disincentives.

Or use the DMG option to mix'n'match different subclasses features.

Or use the DMG option to mix'n'match different subclasses features.

Is this rumor, or do we know for a fact this is planned? And do we know if it includes guidelines for mixing features from subclasses of two separate parent classes? (I'm bugged that, from what we've heard/seen, the druid lacks an animal companion option like the ranger has. :heh: )

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It is not just the Barman build. The subclasses shown display either a lack of creativity, a lack of appreciation to older edition builds, or a scheme to sell later books.

For example, I could name 4 other very popular rogue archetypes that had mechanical backing in previous editions.

• The Artful Dodged build. This is the Improved Feint rogue of 3e and the Artful rogue rogue of 4e. Feint as a Cunning action would be good. Same with Charisma to damage if you feint.bonus languages and fast talking. A lot is there.
  • The Strength rogue. This is the rogue who takes a weapon proficiency feat in 3e or the brutal scoundrel of 4e or the melee rogue of 1e and 2e. A lot of overlap with the thug. Medium armor and Sneak Attack with a longsword or battleaxe.
  • The Scout. This is the scout class and wilderness rogue of 3e, the 4e rogue with tons of movement powers, or the "noncombat" rogue of earlier editions. Bonus speeds. Tracking. Skrimishing. Search as a Cunning action.
  • The Acrobat. Well the thief stole have his stuff. The Scout with take half what is left. And the monk left of what's left after the other two is done. Acrobatic charges. Balance class features. Leaps and controlled falls. Redundant if you include the scout and aren't creative.

The many thing that get me is... these were in earlier playtest.
Why'd they take them out?
Like shouldn't the rogue, the skills class, have many subclasses which focus on a suite of skills?
Are they holding it for the Book of Rogue or are they saying "have your DM do it"?

Remove ads