• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Leif's Whirtlestaff's Wizards' Academy Reprise, [Pfdr] [OOC 03]

Leif

Adventurer
Which book [ha]s the information on the tax Levey on surrounding area? I wonder if we can homebrew that in here? I have a 5e pdf or 2 somewhere.

[sblock=5E stuff]I don't know. I thought it would be in the DMG, but I couldn't find it.

HOWEVER, I did find some interesting stuff in the spell lists (has nothing to do with the question, I know) --

Cure Wounds is just a single first level spell. But now, you can use a slot for a higher level spell to prepare any spell. With cure wounds, each level of the slot used above first adds 1d8 to the HP cured. At first level, it cures 1d8+Spell casting ability modifier*, but for higher level castings there is no mention of the ability bonus, neither does it specifically say that the bonus does not apply. I'm thinking that I would allow it. This same principle applies to many other spells, too. For example, cone of cold cast as a 5th level spell does damage of 8d8. For each level above 5th of the slot used to cast it, you add 1d8 to the damage done. And, of course, the saving throw becomes more difficult, too.

* Bards, clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers have the spell cure wounds. For bards and paladins, the relevant ability is Charisma. For druids and clerics it is Wisdom. For rangers, I imagine that it's one of those two, but I can see an argument for either.

The returns would diminish pretty quickly using higher level slots to cast lower level spells, but if a caster could take some time between adventures to prepare a big stack of scrolls of spells prepared at a level significantly above the minimum necessary, and then use his/her high level slots for high level spells, he/she would have the market cornered on *AWESOME* for a little while, at least.[/sblock]

But this game is Pathfinder, so the 5E stuff doesn't even apply. Is there nothing in the Pathfinder equivalent to the DMG about this? If not, and worst comes to worst, I guess we'll have to fall back on the 1E AD&D rules for it and adjust to DM's discretion.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Check out the D&D Next 5E FIRST level spell witch bolt, appearing on the Wizard, Sorcerer, and Warlock spell lists. It's a ranged touch attack that creates an arc of lightning that lasts for up to one minute if you maintain concentration, and it does 1d12 damage per round. Casting it at higher levels adds 1d12 damage per additional level. The target can defeat the sell by moving out of range, moving out of the caster's line of sight (around a corner).

Leif

Adventurer
That's what it appears to be, with only a ranged touch required each round, but concentration must be maintained to keep the spell going, so that leaves the caster at least a little vulnerable.

I'm hoping someone else will confirm or deny my interpretation of this spell.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] might know. He is better at 5e then I am for sure.

Last edited:

Remove ads