Blog (A5E) Let’s Look At The Level Up Character Sheet

A character sheet is your portal into the game world. As a player, it’s your primary interface, and it’s important that a character sheet be clear and useful. Here’s a look at what Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition’s character sheet looks like. The first thing you’ll notice is that it’s four pages. Well, this is ‘advanced’ 5th Edition, and we have new stuff to include — an entire exploration...

A character sheet is your portal into the game world. As a player, it’s your primary interface, and it’s important that a character sheet be clear and useful. Here’s a look at what Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition’s character sheet looks like.

The first thing you’ll notice is that it’s four pages. Well, this is ‘advanced’ 5th Edition, and we have new stuff to include — an entire exploration pillar, and a combat maneuver system, for starters! But that’s not all, and eagle-eyed readers will spot other things, for sure!

This sheet is close to final. It might change a little, but not much.

mediamodifier_image.png

Stalker0

Legend
Ultimately my feedback is that while yes, LevelUp will use more complex skills in terms of ability scores....at the end of the day 90% of skills will still be the old way.

Perception will still use Wis, Arcana Int, Sleight of Hand Dex, etc.

So having a sheet where the characters have to do math and combine skill and ability score all the time is just going to be slower than a sheet where I can write down default values for my skills and adjust in the rare circumstances I need to.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
... what about the already included modular sheet design?

The first page is practically all you need for the core of your character. Page 2 is the first sheet which has a class-specific section in their Combat Maneuvers. Because this page is flat white with the same shape of objects, just open it up in Paintbrush, delete the Combat Maneuvers section and move your Equipment and Treasure entries to that page with a simple cut n' paste. Assuming you don't -use- Combat Maneuvers.

And are you -really- going to need the rest of page 3 as your -character sheet- or would it be easier to chuck that out and keep descriptions/organizations/backstory in your notebook/notepad/notes for the campaign?

So now you've got one sheet (Front and back) for the majority of what your character needs/has, and then a separate page for your spellcasting.

And if you play a Fighter or a Rogue -without- spellcasting, just don't print out pages 3 and 4. Use your one sheet, front and back, and keep your notes handy on organizations and inventory. (In combat, inventory is mostly irrelevant, anyhow, since you just need to know what weapons and armor you've got on!)

The sheet doesn't need a big redesign for it to be minimized for players who aren't going to use certain parts of it!

Faolyn

(she/her)
Ultimately my feedback is that while yes, LevelUp will use more complex skills in terms of ability scores....at the end of the day 90% of skills will still be the old way.

Perception will still use Wis, Arcana Int, Sleight of Hand Dex, etc.

So having a sheet where the characters have to do math and combine skill and ability score all the time is just going to be slower than a sheet where I can write down default values for my skills and adjust in the rare circumstances I need to.
While yes, it's likely that most people will end up using the same skills attached, if only out of tradition, there's actually less math now. There's no expertise to factor in because it's just an extra die. The only time the math could be tricky would be for Bards with Jack of All Trades.

Remove ads

Remove ads