D&D 5E Let’s Read Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Choldrith (VGtM)​

The Choldrith are the breeder, leader, and priest cast of the Chitine. As such, we already went over their history and what to expect out of the race as a whole. Which brings me to today’s talking point: The separation of monster entries. I know a lot of people rejoiced at having monsters become more alphabetized in their listings, but the old way did have a few benefits. Namely, you could save space on lore entries by putting monsters that share much of the same lore right next to each other, which also has a nice side effect of the books nudging you in the “Hey, if you like that monster, you should also use this monster to complement them” direction. However, it is worth noting that in today's day and age of digital information, both ways are suboptimal. You could have a search engine pull up monsters that even have incorrect spelling. You could also have a monster entry just hyperlink to other related monsters. There are rumors on the wind that WoTC is looking to acquire it’s own in-house VTT and online Database, and there is some brand new book format that they are touting for upcoming releases. Arguments about alphabetization versus grouping are something that may soon become obsolete. Though technically speaking, this book still uses groupings of monsters, just less of them.

Choldrith specifically act as clerics devoted to Lolth, but don’t expect any favors from them if you worship the same religion. Lolth just isn’t into that kind of thing. Choldrith with different religions might be somewhat more amicable with a trade of some kind, potentially providing divine spellcasting services.

In combat, the Choldrith will likely open with the Bane and Spectral Dagger combination, which gets some damage in and can really hurt the effectiveness of an adventuring party. From there, consider using a web to lock down one of the party casters for a turn or two, while also allowing the minions to get advantage on attack rolls against them. After those options are exhausted, they lay into the enemy with their primary dagger attack. It may deal a lot of damage, but control is far more effective than damage most of the time. Just remember that they can’t use Bane and Hold Person at the same time due to concentration.

In the changeover, the Choldrith lost a lot of spells: Mending, Healing Word, Sanctuary, and Shield of Faith, making them slightly easier to kill.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Clockworks (MToF)​

Clockworks are gnomish construct contraption creatures. Although they have an aesthetic that is heavily based upon steampunk and oozing with cogs and brass, they are actually magically made. Mordenkainen has some choice words berating gnomish creations for some of them being “downright functional”, despite the Archwizard being famous for having created some of the worst spells for their level in this edition.

As individually built constructs, you can basically use any reason you want to have on in your campaign. Though most of the examples in this book are just some variation of a combatant. In order to keep your players on their toes, or perhaps just to make them better fit the niche they need to occupy, you can roll or assign a pair of modifications to each one. An Enhancement and a Malfunction. In general, the mobility enhancements are great, the defensive enhancements are OK, and the rest of the enhancements are there to make for recurring NPCs. The Malfunctions run the gamut from “This isn’t doesn’t seem like a hindrance at all” Sense of Self-Preservation, to significant stat penalties, to the incredibly harsh loss of actions, and the totally devastating Imprinting Loop. Use them with caution, or don’t use them at all, they are strictly optional after all.

These monsters are one of the times I would have liked to have more detail on how they are made because I know some players are going to want some as soon as they see them. Heck, I have a few characters of my own who would be overjoyed to have some constructs.

All Clockworks lost their immunity to non-magical, non-adamantine weapons, in exchange for roughly double their previous HP. Generally speaking, this makes them more durable in mid to high level games, while also making them far less scary in low level games.

Bronze Scout

The only Clockwork with an actual non-combat function, these caterpillar looking things can burrow around in the ground and function as a scout. With Expertise in Stealth and Perception, they are quite good at their job.

In combat, the Bronze Scout is going to burrow underground to sneak behind the enemy ranks, pop up in the middle of a pack, and use their Lightning Flare ability to hit as many as possible. Then it is going to burrow away to back underground to avoid reprisal, and make its way to the squishy back ranks to harass them. Their Earth Armor ability allows them to move about or away from the battlefield with almost no fear of Opportunity Attacks. As fitting for a creature with this kind of power, the Scout is the one Clockwork that is most likely to have instructions ordering them to make it back alive, if only to give their master a report on the enemy. Keep in mind that if the Scout is Burrowing, it can use the ground itself as a form of cover, granting a bonus to AC and Dex saves.

Iron Cobra

The Iron Cobra is one part lurker, and one part controller. Likely to be used as an assassin of sorts, they will use their stealth to hide somewhere waiting to ambush, waiting for their creator to give a signal to attack.

In combat, the Cobra has a random selection of alchemical mixtures it can use with its Bite. Confusion is particularly nasty due to the fact it’s not classified as a poison or a form of Charm, making typical resistances to them ineffective. Then it adds injury to insult by actually forcing the target to spend their next turn moving and attacking a random creature, which will most likely be an ally. Any Rogue that falls victim to that concoction is going to be putting their party in a world of hurt. Paralysis is the next nastiest option, as it can set the target up to be more easily harassed on the next turn. As usual for controller type enemies, the extra poison damage, though significantly more damage than the basic Bite, is the least impactful option.

Oaken Bolter

The Oaken Bolter is shockingly enough, an artillery unit, with a fun side serving of control. Of all the Clockworks, this is the most combat oriented, without even so much as a skill to use outside of combat.

In combat, the Bolter will open up with their Explosive bolt for a smattering of AoE damage, then follow up with Multiattack, using their Harpoon whenever they don’t have anything grappled. Ideally, they should then pull their grappled target into a position where they can either use another Explosive Bolt on 3+ enemies, or into a pack of their allies, depending on what is more feasible at the time. Alternatively, they could also pull their target into a trap.

Stone Defender

A bodyguard model, which has perhaps the most impractical appendages of the lot, despite being the only one that has hands. Like seriously, how do you take the time to mold hands onto something, only to put said hands on the front of some massive stone slabs that are almost as big as the rest of their body?

In combat the Stone Defender will stay close to their charge, in order to employ their Intercept attack power, and slam any enemies bold enough to approach, which will knock them down without a saving throw. Unfortunately, the Defender lacks any kind of ranged attack, which kind of puts a cramp on their job.

In the changeover, the Defender Also lost their False Appearance power, meaning it can’t ambush people by pretending to be a rock anymore.

Sulicius

Adventurer
I’m definitely going to do away with resistance/immunity to nonmagical b/p/s damage for monsters in my next campaign. It never added anything to a fight. At least with energy types, my players can prepare by grabbing resistant gear, potions or different spells. The only thing that goes through a players head when they face nonmagic dmg resistance is: Gee, I wish my DM had given me a magical weapon by now.
They half-assed this with silvered weapons, but it inspires me to create something similar. Silvered for fiends and shapeshifters, adamantine for constructs, cold steel for fey, etc.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I’m definitely going to do away with resistance/immunity to nonmagical b/p/s damage for monsters in my next campaign. It never added anything to a fight. At least with energy types, my players can prepare by grabbing resistant gear, potions or different spells. The only thing that goes through a players head when they face nonmagic dmg resistance is: Gee, I wish my DM had given me a magical weapon by now.
They half-assed this with silvered weapons, but it inspires me to create something similar. Silvered for fiends and shapeshifters, adamantine for constructs, cold steel for fey, etc.

Amen. I remember telling a guy who was DMing for the first time a variation of this. He nodded and smiled, clearly not listening, and six months later was genuinely shocked when his players “staged a coup” (his words) over this exact issue.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Cloud Giant Smiling One (VGtM)​

Cloud Giant Smiling Ones are the de facto bards of the Giants. Their particular brand of performance is trickery. And let me tell you, there is almost no end to the amount of shenanigans this giant can pull off.

Firstly, Smiling ones are spellcasters, and unlike some other casters in this book, they retain a lot of non-combat spells, mostly illusions and communication spells. Major Illusion, in particular, allows for doing some crazy stuff like making an illusory bridge, helping one creature along it (by propping up their feet while flying from below) and then convincing someone else to walk over it, causing them to fall down like a Loony Toon. Their big spell, however, is shared with the Bheur Hag. Control Weather can do so many petty things it is simply amazing. Being able to literally rain on someone’s parade is just so great when you want to make some mischief.

Secondly, they have the Change Shape power, which unlike the terribly lackluster and insanely complex Change Shape of the Archdruid, is amazing for tricking people. All it does is change the Smiling One’s shape into a humanoid or animal it has seen before. Their stats (other than size) stay the same, meaning you can finally have a flying shark that blasts people with magic! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Archdruid! Or if combat isn’t what you want for them, imagine what you could pull off as a hyper intelligent Squirrel with 26 strength. Those are just two of the near limitless forms that the Smiling One can pull off, without the added baggage of having to swap stat blocks.

In combat the Smiler will fly above everyone’s heads and start blasting things with their Telekinetic Strike from an absolutely extreme 240’ away. Combined with an impressive 40’ hover speed, it will keep them safely out of reach of all but the longest of ranged attack reprisals. Do not mistake this as an inability to participate in melee combat however. The Smiling One is still a Cloud Giant, and is actually more deadly when forced into melee combat. Sporting a STR boosted Slam attack with a mighty +12 to hit at CR 11. However, Smiling Ones would never be forced into melee combat thanks to their Bonus Action Cloud Step power, which allows them to teleport on a 4-6 recharge. Furthermore, they have the Gaseous Form spell, letting them slip through the smallest of cracks and holes. And if that still isn’t enough, they have Invisibility and the Change Shape power to fall back on as a disguise, making it more than likely that they will be able to escape should the need arise.

The Smiling One was heavily changed and heavily nerfed in this reprinting. Gone are classic staples like throwing a Rock for massive physical damage from afar (which was replaced with a less accurate and less damaging Telekinetic Slam). Their Morningstar was replaced with a less damaging Slam attack (though the Slam at least does psychic damage to bypass resistances). A significant chunk of their spells were lost in the transition as well. Good ones too like Feather Fall, (that would be aces for any flying creature honestly), Cure Wounds, Telekinesis, and Tasha’s Hideous Laughter. In addition to all of that they lost a small bit of HP.

On the upside, their Misty Step spell was replaced with Cloud Step, making it much easier for the Smiling One to combo it into other spells like Invisibility. Their Fly spell was also replaced by a Hover speed, making them far more mobile without being subject to concentration or dispels. In a neutral change their Heightened Senses was brought in line with the rest of the book by giving a bonus in Perception.

Honestly, despite the nerfs they did manage to keep most of the core experience intact for this creature. Though I honestly wonder why they are so keen on removing healing powers from Bardic Monsters. Is it part of an overhaul for the class? Or is it just because Combat Healing generally sucks on the Action Economy unless you are playing Whack-a-mole? We may have to dig deeper to find out.

Remove ads