D&D 5E Let’s Read Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Githyanki (MToF)​

The Githyanki are psionic humanoids who hang out on the Astral Plane, where they ride dragons and flying sharks.* Ruled by the Lich Queen Vlaakith, they built their city on the corpse of a dead god, codified the Spell and Sword fighting style, and generally rock an aesthetic that mimics an 80’s metal album cover while going around pillaging the multiverse. Needless to say, if your game doesn’t have Githyanki, you are really missing out.

*As seen in Monstrous Compendium Volume One: Spelljammer Creatures.

Three Githyanki have been reprinted in this book, and will probably serve as templates for the Githyanki that were included in the MM when that is reprinted for 5.5e.

Githyanki Gish

The Gish is the OG Spellblade, famed for their ability to combine sword and spell, to the point where their name is synonymous with the fighting style. So let’s see what they got for us now in the Post MPMotM world.

To start off with, the Gish is a CR 10 spellcaster, so that means they are going to fill out that CR by using a multiattack that also allows them to cast spells. Their multiattack grants three attacks, and they can trade out two of them for a psionic spell. Their attack options are the Longsword (with a hefty psychic damage rider) or Telekinetic bolt, which is a decent ranged spell attack that deals force damage.

All of their spells are psionics now, meaning none of them require any components. This is absolutely brutal, as they are all but uncounterable (save for those strange players who are constantly running around with Detect Magic), even if the Gish is tied up and gagged. To top it off they have the Astral Step power, a bonus action teleport that recharges half the time, for superior movement options.

As for what spells they get, Fireball, Nondetection, Dimension Door, Plane Shift, and Telekinesis. Not only are they going to hurt a lot of people, they are going to be all but impossible to pin down for when the tide does turn against them.

In the changeover, the Gish got a smattering of hp, their longsword attack was significantly buffed due to a combination of more psychic damage and an entire extra multiattack, they gained the telekinetic bolt attack. Their War Magic bonus action was absorbed into their multiattack. All that was paid for by the loss of a lot of spells, telekinetic bolt makes up for most of the damaging ones. But they also lost options like Counterspell, Haste, and Blur. However I must say, while They may not be particularly complex anymore, but they can still stab you with a sword and kill you with a spell, so they should still be a satisfying fight.

Githyanki Kith’rak

The Kith’rak is essentially a warlord in the Githyanki military. They command the warriors who command other warriors.

Honestly I find them lacking, especially when contrasted with the other entries in this book. Despite being cr 12, they are basically an overgrown Githyanki Knight from the MM, but without the cool Silver Greatsword. They have a multiattack that only uses their Normal Greatsword (granted the Greatsword does have bonus psychic damage to match the CR) but they also lack any ranged attacks. They have a small selection of spells, but lack the ability to trade an attack for any of them, and their two most impactful spells, Blur and Telekinesis, require concentration, meaning you can’t even pre-buff if you want to use their only control option. At the very least they have Plane Shift, allowing for a reason to plop them (and their backup) down anywhere anytime, and the Astral step power to replace the Misty Step spell that they lost.

Their warlording power lacks punch as well. It removes fear and charm from all targets that it wants within 30’. And nothing else. No bonus to attack, no extra attacks, no extra movement, no healing, not even so much as a lingering defensive buff.

In the changeover, they lost the Jump spell, and swapped Misty Step with Astral Step on a 4-6 recharge.

Githyanki Supreme Commander.

The Supreme Commander is a general of the Githyanki armies. They lead the Kith’raks, and ride Red Dragons into battle. So they are already looking really badass when compared to the Kith’raks and all they did is show up. They are a legendary CR 14 melee warlord type. They actually have a Silver Greatsword, and their selection of spells is worthwhile. And did I mention the Red Dragon? That by itself is a huge chip in the Commander’s Favor. A CR 10 Young Red would be the ideal companion to a Supreme Commander, and having one really makes up for any kind of weakness that a Commander by themselves would have. You can even use that new Fizbans book to spice up the dragon should you have it. ( Would recommend)

Back to the Commander themselves: Their standard attack is a multiattack, where they make two attacks. While they don’t have a ranged attack, they do have the Bigby’s Hand spell, allowing for some short ranged coverage and control as a bonus action (providing it’s already set up).

Their other really interesting spell is Mass Suggestion. While it can’t cause any direct harm, remember that “Go run home where it is safe” is a perfectly legitimate use of the spell that basically turns it into a Save-or-the-encounter-is-instantly-lost attack. So use caution when you cast it.

They have a bonus action teleport, should the situation call for it. Parry as a reaction, and their legendary actions include granting an ally an attack at advantage, or stabbing someone with their Silver Greatsword themselves. Though they lack some kind of spellcasting option, they really don’t have any spells worth casting on the off turn.

In the changeover, the Supreme Commander lost their Jump Spell, and their Teleport Legendary Action. Personally, I would have replaced Bigby’s Hand with a bonus action that mimicked it, if only to get away from the chunkiness of having to spend a turn to cast it.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Githzerai (MToF)​

Githzerai are the cousins of the Githyanki. They are also psionic humanoids, but they replace the heavy metal aesthetic with ascetic sensibilities. Instead of sword and spell, they combine punch and prayer (in the form of meditation, but I had to go for the low hanging alteration). Instead of hanging out in the astral on a dead god, they hang out in the realm of pure chaos, the Plane of Limbo, where they impose their will upon their surroundings, giving their home fortresses and monasteries whatever shapes they desire at the moment, which are normally a “brutalist” style that uses adamantine instead of concrete. Instead of going around pillaging, they like to stop the raids of the Githyanki, and the Mindflayers that created both of their races.

Quite honestly, I’m surprised they didn’t go with a 60’s inspired psychedelic groove to contrast their Githyanki cousins. They are in the perfect position to do so.

Githzerai Anarch

Anarchs are the legendary CR 16 leaders, sages, and mystics who spend a lot of their time and energy maintaining their Adamantine citadels, which serves as their lair. While at home they can literally reshape reality to their whims and it’s a wild time. They also make for a load-bearing boss, meaning that if you kill one, their entire fortress will start to crumble back into the chaos of Limbo. Making for a dramatic escape sequence.

It takes them 10 minutes to reshape unformed substances into any inert material within 5 miles of themselves as a regional effect. Furthermore, as a lair action, they can cast Creation as a 9th level spell (which normally takes an entire 60 seconds) to create 25 cubic feet of whatever substance they want. This is more than enough range to create an Adamantine prison. Or a giant pool of vegetable oil. Really you can just do whatever you want with this, with the notable restriction of the Anarchs concentration (which the spell doesn't normally require). Their other layer actions are the ability to move an object, and the ability to cast Lightning Bolt with several different damage types.

As for what the Anarch can do themselves, they have a multiattack with unarmed strikes and a decent fly speed. While they do have psionic spellcasting, the concentration restriction is going to severely hamper what they can do with it.

Their legendary actions are punching someone, teleporting around, or using their concentration to cast Reverse Gravity, in any direction they want. That last one could be used to get everyone into a close grouping, allowing for them all to be trapped with a subsequent lair action, even if the Anarch has to switch concentration a few times to set it up.

Realistically the only thing the Anarch lacks is a decent ranged attack to use during their own turn, and even that is covered by all their other options. This fight should be memorable, not just for the reality warping, but nobody expects the wise old leader to just walk up and punch someone in the face.

In the changeover, the Anarch lost a few spells. Notably, Feather Fall and Shield would both be quite handy.

Githzerai Enlightened

The Enlightened is a Zerth with perhaps the most interesting power I have seen on any creature, the ability to force other creatures into time traveling. They can literally knock you into the next round. And honestly I wish this ability was more expanded upon, time travel is a heck of a thing, even if it is just one-way skipping forward. Other than that, they spend all their time meditating. Which seems somewhat disappointing, but that will tend to be a general theme for this entry.

In combat the Enlightened will punch their enemies. They have a 40’ movement speed, no ranged attacks to speak of, and their limited spell selection offers nothing to mitigate these problems. They do have a slow fall reaction power, to lower the damage that may come from falling, but that’s it really. Their entire gimmick is the Temporal strike power, which deals massive damage and temporarily shunts someone 6 seconds into the future.

That’s it for their touted ability to transcend the limits of their physical forms. I can think of at least 4 “easy” ways to implement “time control” themed powers.
  1. “Rewind time”. They heal and remove conditions on themselves.
  2. Time Stop as a spell. While horrible for attacks, it’s great for setting up hazards or messing with your players.
  3. Enhanced movement speed. No 40’ isn’t enough to truly feel this. 60’ at least, and ideally 90, with an automatic disengage.
  4. Remember Strength before Death, the Fighter Power that lets a Samurai just take an extra turn in the middle of someone else’s turn? Do that.
Those combined with knocking a player into their next turn would really sell this creature. As it is, the Enlightened one is a stripped down Monk with a stunning strike gimmick that is arguably worse than an actual stunning strike.

In the Changeover, the Enlightened lost some spells. Notably Haste (That would have also worked as an easy time power!) Blur and even Expeditious Retreat. In return, they received a smattering of more damage on their unarmed strikes.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
In the Changeover, the Enlightened lost some spells. Notably Haste (That would have also worked as an easy time power!) Blur and even Expeditious Retreat. In return, they received a smattering of more damage on their unarmed strikes.

I am going to keep hammering this home until 5.5 or whatever comes out; they are sacrificing interesting and unique abilities on monsters to do away with the "hur dur, DM gotta have two books open" complaints. it really feels like monsters are one shot gimmicks rather than having a lot of abilities that can be tailored to the situation.

dave2008

Legend
I am going to keep hammering this home until 5.5 or whatever comes out; they are sacrificing interesting and unique abilities on monsters to do away with the "hur dur, DM gotta have two books open" complaints. it really feels like monsters are one shot gimmicks rather than having a lot of abilities that can be tailored to the situation.
Though I agree with you, to some extent, it is what many people asked for. I personally like a hybrid approach, which WotC is trying, but it is about get the mix correct. I think A5e does it very well and I can only hope they (WotC) learn some lessons before the '24 MM comes out.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Personally, I'd rather they got rid of "plain language" (when it comes to monster stat-blocks for a "just the facts" approach (including icons and keywords) that allows them both the room, and the simplicity that would leave them open to giving every monster (okay, I mean the boring ones) a couple of extra cool things that they can do.

OTOH, I don't mind them simplifying the complicated ones. There's nothing I hate more than a multi-page monster block.

(Heck, I hate multi-page PC character sheets. I can fit everything up to about level 10 (including a full description for every spell my character can cast, and/or every feat/feature on a single page character sheet.) It involves using some common keywords and a few useful acronyms for common things. I wish it were that way officially, myself.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Gnolls (VgtM)​

As you have probably heard by now, Gnolls were previously humanoids who were created when the corrupting magic of Yeenoghu changed a bunch of hyenas. In 5.5, WotC is making an effort to clean up the “always evil” kinds of races. Though not every race is getting the same kind of treatment.

Duergar were totally scrubbed of any mentions to previous lore where they were considered evil (A side product of this change is leaving them with a wildly incongruous naming scheme). Favoring a neutral description and reminding everyone of the hard-knock life of the underdark when talked about as a whole. While in contrast their cousins, the Derro, were transformed into pitiful aberrations who still have their chaotic evil tendencies as a result of their hardships.

Drow had the spotlight shown on alternative non-llothite cultures, presumably because the evil spider-drow were just too iconic.

And Gnolls were simply changed into Monstrosities. (Save for the ones who were turned into fiends) to better match their backstory of being ravenous beasts created via ritual instead of birthed. Which itself is in some conflict from the lore in previous editions.

Personally, out of the options presented, I think that what they did to the Duergar was the best effort. WotC kind of did Gnolls dirty with this change. Though I would be remiss to say that, and not also clarify that I do like the idea of having an army swarm across the world like a horde of intelligent locusts, eating everything in their path.

Anyway, on to the two entries in this book.

Gnoll Flesh Gnawer

Flesh Gnawers are CR 1 skirmishers who don’t use ranged weapons in favor of running across the battlefield in order to stab and bite their opponents. To aid with this, they have an action that allows them to both disengage and dash at the same time. This means that they work best when used in conjunction with a Gnoll Pack Lord (MM) and/or a Flind (earlier in this book) to get extra attacks out of them. Otherwise their primary use is breaching the front line to get at the squishy casters and other soft targets in the back.

The Flesh Gnawer was changed into a Monstrosity for this book.

Gnoll Hunter

The Gnoll Hunter is the premiere ranged unit of a gnoll warband. Despite their CR being only ½, they have an extremely devastating ranged attack. One that shaves 10’ of movement speed off the target when they hit. Something that makes it all but impossible to flee an encounter of Gnolls at lower levels. At CR ½ they share the same CR as the standard Gnoll in the MM, and that little bit of control (and a multiattack to power it) makes them a far more interesting monster. If WotC doesn’t have some significant change to the standard Gnoll in the upcoming 5.5 MM book, I would recommend just using the Hunter in their place.

The Hunter was also changed into a Monstrosity, in addition, their multiattack now works with every attack they have, allowing them to keep their DPR in melee range.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Gnoll Witherling (VGtM)​

Today’s entry is another short one, a simple monster that is only meant to pad the ranks of a gnoll warband.

The Gnoll Witherling is the answer to the question “But what happens if the horde of hungry monsters can’t find anyone to eat?” The answer is they resort to eating each other, and make an undead creature out of the bones in order to help with hunting. Unlike their skeleton “cousins”, Witherlings can only wield simple clubs and their bite attack, making them a very vulnerable monster when not backed up by the rest of a warband.

Fortunately for the Witherling (well as much fortune as a creature that was eaten by their kind could have anyway), as undead creatures without any sort of biology, they don’t need to eat or sleep, making them perfect fodder from a logistics point of view. As yet another replacement for the Standard MM Gnoll at CR ¼, you can pepper a bunch of these in a fight to serve as a frontline for your Hunters to hide behind, or just to pad out the action economy for the higher CR Gnolls. And like their living counterparts, they also have the Rampage bonus action for the Gnoll leaders to exploit. As an interesting twist: if your PCs decide to ignore them in favor of the bigger threats, the Witherlings actually become more dangerous, they can strike in vengeance as a reaction when any living gnoll is knocked to 0 hp.

They could even serve as the perfect night watch for a gnoll warband, all the fleshy gnolls get to take a nap at the same time, without having to spare anyone for guard duties. Or they could pull the trick from Pirates of the Caribbean where they walk along the bottom of a sea, lake, or river, and perform a flanking maneuver.

In the Changeover, the Witherling only had their formatting updated.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Gray Render (MToF)​

Gray Renders are basically puppy-dogs in the form of a monstrosity. These would-be guardians form a bond with an intelligent creature, and then protect that creature at the cost of their life, while following them around and generally acting like a nuisance. Unlike a puppy, the Gray Render has a whopping CR 12, meaning that the disobedient little scamp could potentially chew up an entire village instead of just your shoe.

The book comes with a table for giving a Gray Render a quirk, which is quite humorous, if potentially destructive.

A Gray Render could be given as a “gift” to a higher level PC who is underperforming in combat, while using the quirky side for some easy RP hooks. Alternatively, the Gray could totally outclass their NPC ward and the ward’s community, serving as a fickle guardian spirit. One that could go wild should their bonded partner be kidnapped. Allowing for not only a “rescue the VIP” quest, but a “We need to sedate this dangerous creature in the meantime” quest with time constraints.

And finally, there is the dark possibility that the PCs need to put down the Gray in an “Old Yeller” moment, perhaps after their ward dies.

In combat, the Gray Render is a slow, ground-bound, melee brute. But this is one of the few cases where that can work due to the distinct possibility that the PCs aren’t trying to kill it. While the PCs are likely to solve any gaps in the creature’s combat potential themselves, consider giving a friendly Render some kind of advanced mobility (perhaps a leap) and the Rock attack.

In the Changeover, The Gray Render was unchanged.

Sulicius

Adventurer
Though I agree with you, to some extent, it is what many people asked for. I personally like a hybrid approach, which WotC is trying, but it is about get the mix correct. I think A5e does it very well and I can only hope they (WotC) learn some lessons before the '24 MM comes out.
Which lesson did they learn? Because from what I can tell, people spent money on A5e, and WotC likes money, but it is not like suddenly 10% of their playerbase has switched to A5e because it is vastly superior to them.

I think A5e was a successful product for a select group of players who have always been asking for more crunch. I think they have some great design solutions to problems we have with 5e. But I also think that WotC will probably not change their design because of it.

WotC is going for simplicity, whether you agree or not, and AFAIK, A5e is not that.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Graz’zt (MToF, OoTA)​

Graz’zt is the Demon Lord of Debauchery. Making him one of the more popular Demon Lords at parties for sure. This reputation nets him a cult who are likewise into excess, and who use said excess to manipulate others around them. Often they blackmail key officials with their proclivities, and sometimes they simply elect to foster an addiction in their targets. Cultists are granted a power that lets them get a free hit whenever they are critically hit, while cult leaders can grant temporary HP to multiple targets as a reaction whenever they take damage. Making them surprisingly anti-meta builds that might actually be easier to take down without a fight.

Graz’zt has many interesting connections to other NPCs. He dated* Tasha herself for a bit. The demigod Raxivort was once his minion, who stole the artifact which granted his divinity from Graz’zt. And Graz’zt just might have been a Devil working for Asmodeus at one point in time.

*ok, we both know that’s a blatant exaggeration, and typing what the relationship actually was is not grandma friendly in the slightest, so we can leave it there.

Graz’zt home is the Argent Palace, in the Abyssal Domain of Azzatar. He has the Command Lair Action, allowing him to cast Command on every creature in his lair. Possibly because that previous Lair Action is so strong. His only other Lair Action turns every smooth surface in his lair into a mirror, granting disadvantage on stealth checks.

As for his own actions, Graz’zt is a CR 24 casters, which mulitattack that can swap out an attack for casting a spell. He has a lot of control spells that require his concentration, most of them are charm spells (which are unreliable to set up in combat, but do trigger one of his legendary actions) he also has Telekinesis for some more reliable control, and he might be able to use Darkness+truesight against foes immune to charm. Other notable spells include Teleport (which can be used to drag Charmed creatures away from their friends), and Dispel Magic to use against casters.

Graz’zt has a bonus action to let him change his shape into a medium humanoid, this combined with his sky high deception score (and one of his spells to break Line of Sight) is sure to cause confusion if he becomes one of the PCs or a cultist that should be lounging around in his lair. Graz’zt also has the Negate Spell reaction, and a monstrous CHA score to back up the caster checks.

His legendary actions allow him to cast a spell, freely teleport, make an attack, or cause a charmed target to move in any direction that they can, which is handy for turning them into a meatshield or sending them plummeting off a balcony.

Like all Demon Lords, Graz’zt lost his Madness table in the changeover. He also lost a few spells. The superior combat Charm, Crown of Madness is perhaps the biggest negative for him. Counterspell was replaced with Negate Magic, which is functionally similar for him due to his previous lack of spell slots. And his greatsword now deals Force damage in addition to bit of additional Acid Damage to make up for the loss of his Magical Weapon ability.

Remove ads