D&D 5E Let’s Read Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse.

dave2008

Legend
Which lesson did they learn?
I have no idea if they have learned anything yet. Do you mean which lesson(s) do I want them to learn? If so, see below.
Because from what I can tell, people spent money on A5e, and WotC likes money, but it is not like suddenly 10% of their playerbase has switched to A5e because it is vastly superior to them.

I think A5e was a successful product for a select group of players who have always been asking for more crunch. I think they have some great design solutions to problems we have with 5e. But I also think that WotC will probably not change their design because of it.

WotC is going for simplicity, whether you agree or not, and AFAIK, A5e is not that.
You misunderstood. I was only talking about monster stat blocks, and specifically spellcasting monster stat blocks. In fact, I am talking about the philosophy to move away from a list of spells (MM and most books after) to a hybrid approach of a smaller list of spells and spell-like action(s) that they are currently developing (MotM).

What I think A5e does well, and I think WotC could learn from, is how they handle monster / NPC spellcasters. However, I wasn't suggesting that they only learn from A5e. They have already started the hybrid approach and they can earn from these early attempts. Hopefully the feed back they get can lead them to a slightly better design, IMO, than their hybrid spell casters.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think both PCs AND monsters could benefit from a really well designed "Short-Form" version of spells being developed. Standardized symbols and abbreviations, careful wording. I'd want all the information to be there, but as short as a given spell can possibly be written, just to remind a player or DM of the full text, which they can read in the PHB (or wherever the full spell is).

Faolyn

(she/her)
I think both PCs AND monsters could benefit from a really well designed "Short-Form" version of spells being developed. Standardized symbols and abbreviations, careful wording. I'd want all the information to be there, but as short as a given spell can possibly be written, just to remind a player or DM of the full text, which they can read in the PHB (or wherever the full spell is).
Level Up does it like this (from cloud giant): Fog Cloud (1st-Level; V, S, Concentration). The giant creates a 20-foot-radius, heavily obscured sphere of fog centered on a point it can see within 120 feet. The fog spreads around corners and can be dispersed by a moderate wind (at least 10 miles per hour). It lasts for 1 hour.

J-H

Hero
Here's how I have started doing it:

Spellcasting. The Sun Acolyte casts as a 6th -level
cleric. Its spell attack roll is +4, and its spell save DC
is 12.
Debuff
() Silence (C, 120’, 20’ radius silence).
() Hold Person (60’, Wis or paralyze, 2 targets),
Attack
Sacred Flame (60’, Dex or take 2d8 radiant damage)
()() Guiding Bolt (120’, attack roll, 4d6 radiant, next
attack has advantage)
() Fireball (150’, 20’ radius, 8d6 fire damage, Dex
half)
Heal
()() Cure Wounds (Touch, 2d8+2)
Other
() Dispel Magic (120’, 3rd or lower dispelled, higher
d20+2 vs 10+spell level),

dave2008

Legend
Level Up does it like this (from cloud giant): Fog Cloud (1st-Level; V, S, Concentration). The giant creates a 20-foot-radius, heavily obscured sphere of fog centered on a point it can see within 120 feet. The fog spreads around corners and can be dispersed by a moderate wind (at least 10 miles per hour). It lasts for 1 hour.
Yep, this what I was talking about @Sulicius

pukunui

Legend
Looks like you're not up to H yet, but I just noticed - and thought I would point it out - that while the playable goblinoids in this book get Fey Ancestry, all the Hobgoblin Devastator and Hobgoblin Iron Shadow get is a sidebar talking about how they are examples of fey goblinoids. Why didn't they get the Fey Ancestry trait as well? Now I have to add it in by hand ... sigh!

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Looks like you're not up to H yet, but I just noticed - and thought I would point it out - that while the playable goblinoids in this book get Fey Ancestry, all the Hobgoblin Devastator and Hobgoblin Iron Shadow get is a sidebar talking about how they are examples of fey goblinoids. Why didn't they get the Fey Ancestry trait as well? Now I have to add it in by hand ... sigh!
To be honest, this book seems a bit half-baked in some areas.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The first H entry should be in two days, and Hobgoblins not long after that. Got to pace myself to avoid burning out on all these monsters, we are up to 119 so far, which is basically half the book done in 83 entries. I do hope they have some errata in the stand-alone book, there was at least one typo I found, and I'm horrible at spelling.

Grungs (VGtM)​

Grungs are the other frog-folk, found primarily in rain forests and tropical jungles, and loosely inspired by poison dart frogs. For those of you wondering, the only place to get playable PC stats for Grungs is still just the One Grung Above adventure.

Grungs are amphibious, to the point where they require being immersed in water for at least 1 hour a day. But like Firenewts they don’t actually possess a swim speed, meaning they suffer a movement penalty when trying to use their semi-aquatic nature to their advantage. Fortunately, the Grungs in this book come equipped with a dagger, meaning they can at least attack normally when swimming. Grungs also have a climb speed (great for hanging out in trees) and the Standing Leap power, allowing them to jump up to 25’ of distance and up to 15’ high without a running start. Over all, despite their 25’ base speed and lack of a swim speed, their movement potential is arguably better than any non-flying, non-teleporting creature.

Grungs also have the Poisonous Skin ability, allowing them to poison anyone who touches or is touched by the Grung. The poison can do more if you are using the optional Variant Rules presented in this book, and you should, they are very fun. Either way, it makes for a heck of a rider on what would otherwise be a non-damaging shove (Grungs even have a bonus to Athletics in order to facilitate any shoving, despite their STR penalties). This poison is further condensed and coated on their weapons, allowing for a small damage boost.

The standard Grung statblock here is a CR ¼ humanoid, easily filling in for a bandit, guard, or other lower threat combatant. They come equipped with a poisoned dagger, which can be used in melee, or thrown at short range from above should melee combat prove too dangerous. Their movement options allow them to easily circumvent any frontline warriors and put pressure on the squishy backrows, where their poison will be more effective. And don’t underestimate their shoving potential, with a +2 bonus and the contact poison, they stand a very good chance of pushing around anyone who isn’t proficient in either athletics or acrobatics. Pushing someone off a tree is iffy, mostly because the people climbing trees at these levels are probably proficient at it (and thus hard for the little frogs to push around), but pushing someone into the water below the trees could prove devastating, especially if the target is also poisoned in the attempt, and thus has disadvantage on swim checks.

Grung Elite Warrior

The Elite warrior is a CR 2 Grung, armed with a poisoned shortbow for good ranged coverage, and the Mesmerizing Chirr power. The Chirr is a PBAoE stun on a 6 recharge, and should be used whenever they can make it work because stun is just that good. Otherwise they fight identically to a normal grung.

Grung Wilding

The Wilding is a Grung Ranger. It also has all of the abilities of a standard Grung and a poisoned shortbow for good ranged coverage, but at CR 1. Instead of the Chirr, it has spellcasting. And let me say, the Wilding’s spells are quite good. Plant Growth is a spell that changes a 100’ of the combat map into super-difficult terrain (that may or may not stack with normal difficult terrain depending on how hard you want to be as a DM). And Spike Growth, which makes difficult terrain that also damages anyone caught in it. Combining the spells creates a thicket of doom for the Grungs to herd and push the PCs into. Keep in mind, the Grungs can simply climb and jump over this mess, so they don’t even have to put up with it. The Wilding also has the Cure Wounds spell, at a level of the game where it would actually be useful.

In the Changeover, the Wilding was the only Grung significantly changed. It lost the Barkskin spell (in favor of a static AC boost) and the totally useless Jump spell, which it couldn’t even use due to the fact they can already jump their total movement speed.

Cause NPC's don't use the same rules PC's do.

They don't have Fey Ancestry cause they are stated to be Fey themselves.

Remove ads