D&D 5E Let’s Read Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse.

Reynard

Legend

Hydroloth (MToF)​

The Hydroloths signature power, Steal Memory, is a doozy. The target must make an INT save (The most popular Dump Stat), or else they lose all of their proficiencies, can't cast spells, and have their INT and CHA set to 5 for 24 hours. The saving throw against this effect is once per day. Nasty stuff. Of course, if you are going to use the campaign idea above, it’s best to handwave the power a bit to fit the story. It could even be a plot point: Whatever kind of magic prevents the total loss of memories, also prevents them from regaining all of them.
First: isn't CHA the most popular dump stat?

Second, it seems like anyone who would care about and being truly adversely affected by losing INT would probably have it as a proficient save.

CHA is pretty popular from my memory. Causes it guides lots of social interaction rules.
in 5e in my experience Int and Str are the go to dump stats... if you aren't using them to make DCs or Attacks you could have an 8 in each (or 10 if you want to play as average instead of weak/below average...but I have been told a lot of people don't RP stats)

Cha is the most common spell attack/save modifier (warlock/sorcerer/bard/plaided) and if you are not using it for that it is all the social skills... so it is on average the HIGHEST stat in our games.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Given the fact that the books these monsters originally appeared in have just been retired in DDB, I think it fair to say WorC doesn't consider them separate monsters.
Mechanically, they are equivalent. For brand identity, this is the standard moving forward. Compatible rules, small shifts of rules modules.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
First: isn't CHA the most popular dump stat?
Not in 5e in my experience. Too many classes that rely on it and also every social skill relies on it - and 5e games that I've run and played in both make much heavier use of social skill rolls than we did in previous editions.

in 5e in my experience Int and Str are the go to dump stats... if you aren't using them to make DCs or Attacks you could have an 8 in each (or 10 if you want to play as average instead of weak/below average...but I have been told a lot of people don't RP stats)
It's funny, and I hadn't thought of it before, but that's absolutely true. Anyone looking for a dump stat who isn't playing a Fighter or a Barbarian is dumping Strength in our games. Huh - I hadn't thought of that particular wrinkle in how 5e plays differently from earlier editions.

Cha is the most common spell attack/save modifier (warlock/sorcerer/bard/plaided) and if you are not using it for that it is all the social skills... so it is on average the HIGHEST stat in our games.
This exactly matches what I've seen. Unless STR or INT is their primary, one of them will be the dump-stat, or both, depending on whether using fixed-array or point buy, usually. And there are just loads of PCs with high CHA because Paladins, Warlocks, and Bards are all extremely well-implemented in 5E, and Sorcerers are, in my experience, more popular than Wizards.

Reynard

Legend
It's funny, and I hadn't thought of it before, but that's absolutely true. Anyone looking for a dump stat who isn't playing a Fighter or a Barbarian is dumping Strength in our games. Huh - I hadn't thought of that particular wrinkle in how 5e plays differently from earlier editions.
Probably because no one can be bothered with encumbrance.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases