Let's help Mouseferatu with the APG

glass

(he, him)
ainatan said:
Why would people be interested in this product if they know WotC will release those races and classes anyways in the near future?
I can think of three reasons:
  1. They don't want to wait a year.
  2. They don't plan on buying all WotC's 'it's all core, honest' books.
  3. They think Ari and/or Necromancer will do a good job and want to see their take on it even if they plan on getting WotC's as well.

ainatan said:
Wouldn't it be better for the 3rd parties to stay away from Wotc's path?
The book will have stopped selling in any significant quantities long before WotC makes it 'redundant'.

glass.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
morbiczer said:
So there will be many, who will buy this APG, even if they would know that some of the content will get official treatment soon.
"Soon," not soon. If you're starting a new campaign with 4E, it's no big deal, but to put existing campaigns and characters on hold until the races and classes are released in currently unannounced projects is asking a lot of folks.

Given that Necromancer and Ari (and presumably the other unannounced WotC freelancers) have a good track record, I don't think it's terribly hard to see why it's a gamble worth taking, especially if you love that old school 1E flavor APG (and Tome of Horrors) will be offering up.

pukunui

Legend
wykthor said:
Shadowcaster, Shadowcaster and Shadowcaster.

This class rocks and the Shadowfell would invite it with a Rug of Welcome :cool:
This is from the new Worlds & Monsters book:

"The energies of [the Shadowfell] fuel the powers of necromancers and shadowcasters ..."

Perhaps your wish will come true?

Last edited:

wykthor

First Post
pukunui said:
This is from the new Worlds & Monsters book:

"The energies of [the Shadowfell] fuel the powers of necromancers and shadowcasters ..."

Perhaps your wish will come true?

I fervently hope so :cool:

I *think* I read something about a possible Shadow Source. But when, only Z'Hadum knows...

Last edited:

Mouseferatu said:
1) Sorcerers, unlike everything else, have no 1E analog, or even 2E. They're purely a 3E creation.

2) Sorcerers were created specifically to allow a second class to make use of the wizard spell list, and to provide a spontaneous arcane caster for those who wanted it. These are no longer necessary or even viable requirements in 4E, given the change to at-will, encounter, and daily powers.

So if we were to do a sorcerer, it would neither resemble anything from past editions, nor would it resemble the 3E sorcerer. It would be something completely brand new, that simply happened to bear the name "sorcerer." People who want to convert to 4E are better off just switching to wizards, since that would be a closer conceptual match than anything I came up with.

While I can't argue, I also can't quite picture a 3e-style sorcerer using implements and so on. The distinction between sorcerers and wizards is actually important in a world of mine, and I've been wondering how to make them work.

One thought I've had is to give them 'built-in' implements that can't be taken away, in exchange for very restricted access to rituals. Not sure yet if that's really viable. Ah, June...

wykthor

First Post
Dude, don't go there...

If you go to Z'ha'dum, you will die.

Then I die. But I will not go down easily and will not go down alone. :cool:

I could add something about meeting 4E SC where no shadows lie, but that would make no sense at all :lol:

Remove ads