OSR Let's make Shadowdark classes!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The four classes in the core book are very solid. And there are more exotic ones in the Cursed Scrolls, and ranger and bard are being worked on as Kickstarter stretch goals, not to mention a ton of third party classes are out there already.

But making Shadowdark classes is fun and relatively easy. So let's do it!

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Gish Warmage

Followers of a technique practiced by ancient enemies of the brain eaters, warmages are lightly armored warriors who blend magic, melee and madness. Students of dragon magic learn a similar technique, as do some enclaves of elves.

Weapons: Bastard sword, greataxe, longsword, shortsword

Armor: Leather armor, mithril chainmail

Hit points: 1d6 per level

Languages: You learn Draconic, Elvish or Primordial.

Dragonfriend. You gain advantage on all social checks made against dragons.

Learning Spells. You can permanently learn a wizard spell from a spell scroll by studying it for a day and succeeding on a DC 15 Intelligence check.

Whether you succeed or fail, you expend the spell scroll.

Spellcasting. You can cast wizard spells you know.

You know one tier 1 spell of your choice from the wizard spell list.

Each time you gain a level, you choose one new wizard spell from a tier that you can cast. Level three warmages gain the ability to cast tier 2 spells, level five gishes gain the ability to cast tier 3 spells, level seven warmages learn the ability to cast tier 4 spells and level nine gishes learn the ability to cast tier 5 spells.

Warmage talents
2d6 : Effect

2: +1 to wizard spellcasting checks
3-7: Learn another spell of a tier that you can cast
8-9: +2 to Strength or Intelligence stat
10-11: Learn how to wear heavier armor. The first time you roll this, you learn how to wear chainmail. The second time, you learn how to wear plate mail. The third time, you learn how to use shields or you can choose any other talent.
12: +1 to melee attacks

Warmage titles
Level 1-2:
Spellblade
Level 3-4: Spellsword
Level 5-6: Spellreaver
Level 7-8: Spellknight
Level 9-10: Witch-King

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The gish spellcasting progression may be too limited. There's a half-caster progression in one of the Cursed Scrolls that might be appropriate instead.

For thematic reasons, I thought about restricting them to swords, but I think it's probably more interesting to live in a world with witch-kings potentially wielding greataxes.

frank-frazettas--death-dealer-devaron-jeffery.jpg

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Wizard of the Fifth Age

Followers of their own tradition of magic, these arcanists lean on their arcane paraphernalia, whether it be spellbooks, pouches full of strange spell components, staffs or wands.

Wizard of the Fifth Age talents
2d6 : Effect

2: +2 to wizard spellcasting checks
3-7: Gain advantage on casting one spell you know
8-9: +2 to Intelligence stat
10-11: Learn one additional wizard spell of any tier you know
12: Gain the service of a familiar, a small animal such as a black cat, owl, raven or toad that you can communicate with. If it ever dies, you lose 1d4 hit points permanently. You can only have one familiar at a time.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Nice! If you dont mind, can I try my hand at redoing the core 4 to make them somewhere in between 5e and Shadowdark in terms of features?

My ideas of a Warlock are something like this:
  • d6 HP
  • Cha casting, knows only 1 spell per Tier. Use the Penance table in case of natural 1 on spellcasting check.
  • Spells lost only require 1 hour of meditation instead of a full rest.
  • Proficiency with light armor, daggers, mace, staff, crossbows
  • Hex: A creature under the effect of one of your spell has disadvantage on ability checks made with one ability of your choice.
  • You have advantage on spellcasting checks against creatures that cant see you and spells deals half-level extra damage.

Talent:
Voice of the Chainmaster: Spend 3 HP to gain a 1 HP messenger that can cast Augury once to contact your patron before disappearing.
Witch Sight: Can see in the dark at near distance.
One with Shadow: +2 AC when standing in low-light or darkness.

renbot

Adventurer
Love Shadowdark but I'm starting to think that I made a mistake by not getting the Cursed Scrolls stuff when I backed the KS and just selected the basic rules...

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Love Shadowdark but I'm starting to think that I made a mistake by not getting the Cursed Scrolls stuff when I backed the KS and just selected the basic rules...

I'm all for the basics. Though I would like her to more expand on those like a Bard, Druid, etc Instead of what seems like evil only classes

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm all for the basics. Though I would like her to more expand on those like a Bard, Druid, etc Instead of what seems like evil only classes
Bard and ranger are being created now.

She said in the Shadowdark Facebook group that the ranger would likely have two-weapon fighting as an exclusive talent -- not including two-weapon fighting was a conscious decision on her part, she said -- but hasn't said anything about what the bard will be like, that I've seen.

Remove ads