• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

PF2 Lets Read and Review Pathfinder 2E

Zardnaar

Adventurer
Can you explain what this means?
There's big jumps in power with 2 attacks, level 3 spells coming online and ability scores hitting 20 with a feat or two in the tank.
Assuming Vumans

For example a fighter can have 20 Dex, sharpshooter and crossbow expert.

Ranger 20 Dex plus sharpshooter

Fighter 20 strength great weapon master plus polearm Master

Spellcasters can drop a level 3 or 4 spells almost every combat. 2 spellcasters means two concentration spells a combat. 20 caster stat plus warcaster.

Etc.

Valetudo

Explorer
A big reason your having a problem with higher levels might be your rolling for stats. PCs tend to have much higher initial stats and tend to max out way sooner than array or point buy. They are then free to grab ore feats. That tend to increase their power far quicker than point buy pcs. Every edition has problems at higher levels for various reasons. Hoestly I think 5e is fin until atleast level 11. Then its really up to choices made earlier in the campaign.

Zardnaar

Adventurer
The things I posted are assuming the default, I've run 5E up to level 14.

Probably played it more than most since release

Aldarc

Adventurer
Aren't feats optional and not default?
Jein. In AL play feats are available by default, and the optional part is to remove them. Feats are optional de jure, but in praxis they tend to form the default assumption of the core gameplay experience.

MichaelSomething

Adventurer
A big reason your having a problem with higher levels might be your rolling for stats. PCs tend to have much higher initial stats and tend to max out way sooner than array or point buy. They are then free to grab ore feats. That tend to increase their power far quicker than point buy pcs. Every edition has problems at higher levels for various reasons. Hoestly I think 5e is fin until atleast level 11. Then its really up to choices made earlier in the campaign.
So your saying rolling stats 3d6 in order is the solution?

ccs

39th lv DM
Pcs having higher stats & feats are not the reason your 5e games break down.
They break down when you fail to take them into account as you write your adventures/encounters. Or when prepping any published module.
Same applies to PCs with wings, magic items, etc. You also have to consider the specific players at your table....
If you insist on prepping/writing as if you had "average" characters with no feats etc? Then of course you're going to have problems.

CapnZapp

Adventurer
Pcs having higher stats & feats are not the reason your 5e games break down.
They break down when you fail to take them into account as you write your adventures/encounters. Or when prepping any published module.
Same applies to PCs with wings, magic items, etc. You also have to consider the specific players at your table....
If you insist on prepping/writing as if you had "average" characters with no feats etc? Then of course you're going to have problems.
Please don't blame or shame the DM.

Yes, things can be the DM's fault.

But I have news for you:

it can also be the devs fault

CapnZapp

Adventurer
Yeah, it's just convenient for WotC to pretend feats are "optional", since it lets them off the hook for not balancing them better.

I see zero reason why any of us should play along in that charade.

Zardnaar

Adventurer
Yeah, it's just convenient for WotC to pretend feats are "optional", since it lets them off the hook for not balancing them better.

I don't expect great balance but a few are out of whack.

Parmandur

Legend

I never use them, and ask them to remove them from the game whenever they float Feats: hopefully they will fade away eventually.

Parmandur

Legend
I guess in that case you're not planning to pick up Pathfinder 2...
I gave the playtest rules a taste, and they really didn't fix them sufficiently, so nope. PF2 doubles way down on themes and mechanics that I find dull: I'm in this out of abstract curiosity.

Zardnaar

Adventurer
What are the 5? Just curious
Sharpshooter, great weapon master, resilience:con, warcaster, healer.

First two for the damage, next two make concentration rolls not quite moot but compared to no feats it's very noticable and the last is very abusable with thief, otherwise it's just to efficient and unlimited 1hp healing aka whack a mole.

Last edited:

Advertisement