• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's say I want to begin with Scarred Lands... What do I need?

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
I've asked it in the d20 System forums, but since I need a fast answer (a friend of mine is going to UK, and that means he can buy RPG stuff for me there), I ask it here again...

Last week I bought Hollowfaust. I hadn't bought anything for Scarred Lands befoire, I bought Hollowfaust because a friend told me it could be used in almost any campaign, and that's true.

But when I read the book I became intrigued with the SL concept. And now, I think I want to know more about SL. So...

What are the minimum neccesary books for a SL campaign?
Do I need Relics and Rituals I and II and Creatures Compendiums I and II?

I've seen that a Scarred Lands Campaign Setting: Ghelspad has been just released. If I buy it, will I have all the neccesary info?

For example, magic rules and it's termic effect, are they explained exclusively in R&R I or in the Scarred Lands Campaign Setting: Ghelspad or any other book too?

Thanks a lot for the answers!

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
At the basic level, all that you really need is the Ghelspad Gazetteer. That contains most of the information on the Scarred Lands itself. However, in order to play a "true" Scarred Lands campaign, you'll probably want to pick up at least Relics & Rituals, and possibly the Creature Collections.

The city sourcebooks are extremly useful, but not absolutely essential if you don't mind those cities varying from the designers' view of what they are like. (You will miss out on some new spells, prestige classes, and magic items, though.) The Wise & the Wicked is a nice collection of NPCs which can help you out in a pinch, but again, it's not absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Wolfen Priest

First Post

I am a big fan of the scarred lands, and run a campaign there.

The main thing you need is also the cheapest: the Ghelspad Gazeteer. It's pretty thin, but packed with geographic and geopolitical information that you will need.

I would also recommend buying (in this order) Creature Collection II, Relics & Rituals, Mithril (City of the Golem), Creature Collection I, and Burok Torn. If you run out of money, then don't buy.

I don't have, nor do I plan to buy the SL Dieties book or the NPC book they have out, so I wouldn't recommend them to you either. But I have all the ones I've listed, and they are more than enough to run a detailed campaign world.

I've been waiting FOREVER to get the campaign setting book. Did it just come out? My gaming store probably won't have it yet, but maybe! Happy gaming.

Lady Dragon

First Post
At this point I would wait for the release of the hardcover ghelspad book in june I'm sure it will re-cover everything in the Gazetteer which is only a 32 page book and only covers the basics relics and rituals and the creature books are cool but not absolutely nessesary.

The other books are also cool but only nessary if you plan on spending a great deal of effort there.

If you get a second book get relics and rituals its an awesome book for any world.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Re: reply

Wolfen Priest said:
I've been waiting FOREVER to get the campaign setting book. Did it just come out? My gaming store probably won't have it yet, but maybe! Happy gaming.

I'm pretty sure that it hasn't been released yet. Their website says that it will be released June 17th, and I haven't heard of any sightings yet. He's probably referring to the Scarred Lands Gazeteer.

You never know, though...

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
gazeteer is nice and so are the Relics and Rituals and the CC. Those supporting books allow you to bring in the look and feel of spells and critters from SL.

Lady Dragon

First Post
The ghelspad hardcover won't be out intil june 17th though there may be some promo copies out there that confuses things.White wolf does that sometimes.

SSS-Druid

First Post
Greetings. Thanks for showing an interest in our little world here - we'll see if we can't be deserving of that interest.

First, get ahold of the Scarred Lands DM Screen. Besides being an all around useful screen for running any 3E game, it includes a booklet that has a section on the Races of Ghelspad (including some optional rules for humans), as well as two adventures.

The next thing you will want is the Scarred Lands Campaign Setting: Ghelspad, which is chock full of the stuff you need for your campaign - a history of Ghelspad, a chapter on the gods and titans, and an incredibly extensive description of every place from the Gazetteer, as well as a mess of prestige classes to help focus your setting.

Next, I'd pick up Relics & Rituals because that book details some of the unique aspects of magic in the Scarred Lands, from the strange heat generated by sorcerers and wizards when spellcasting to ritual magic.

Creature Collection has a huge number of our "signature" monsters that you will read about in the above sourcebooks - wrack dragons, hags, gorgons, Slitheren ratmen, Slarecian remnants, spider-eye goblins and the like. Creature Collection II adds to these, focusing on the servants of the gods (both angelic and demonic) as well as some of the other twisted beasts that the Titanswar spawned.

Once you get into the setting, you may want to pick up The Divine & the Defeated, the definitive book on the gods and titans.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads