• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's say I want to begin with Scarred Lands... What do I need?

Bagpuss

Legend
I'd recommend the Ghelspad Gazetteer, its cheap full of ideas and content. On the plus side you can give it safey to the players to look at to get an idea of the campaign world as it doesn't give anyway major world secrets.

I haven't seen the full campaign book yet but the Gazetteer is probably a good investment either way just as something for the players to reference and borrow between sessions to read and get more involved with the setting.

Other than that for all everyone is saying Creature Collection II, I personally found CC I, had more interesting creatures, although you might need to brush them up to be 100% correct with offical monster rules, plus the challenge ratings are a bit off.

Relics and Rituals I have but so far no player has used anything out of it, and I haven't found the time to reference it.

I recently bought "Secrets and Societies" and although I've only skimmed through it I would say it again has a lot of useful setting info.

"Mithril: City of the Golem" and "Burok Torn: City Under Siege" are only worth getting once you know the setting and have decided where you are likely to base your campaign, since both are a long way geographically from Hollowfaust, you could certainly avoid buying them for a long time.

I don't own the Divine and the Defeated yet so can't commemt, but judging what Scarred Lands seems to be about it strikes me as a must have.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well since you bumped this Burger..

I HAVE IT!!! :) Horatio, believe me, the SLCS ROCKS!! It's a great way of giving you the breath and depth of the land like the FRCS. However, unlike the FRCS, it's not all feats, spells, monsters and so on. It actually has some meat to it that's not all about crunch. Anyway Horito my friend, I hope you get this. Believe me you won't regret it.

TeaBee

First Post
Has there ever been talk of an updated printing on CC or R&R?

Knowing that some of those older books have a few problems is probably the primary reason I've never bought any SL stuff. I buy everything else with Sword & Sorcery on the cover though. (I wish FDP still did...)

Nightfall

No but there's some errata updates at this point. Besides there's been no reprints from WotC and it's a little more expensive to do reprints anyway. But I hope that you'll look over the SLCS. It's great book.

Scarab

First Post
I agree with Nightfall and the other SL fanboys -- the SLCS is darn good.

Other than the prestige classes, there are no d20 specific material at all -- just lots of meaty, crunchy, tasty facts about the world.

I especially enjoyed reading the "crime and punishment" sections for each nation/city-state. Yup, I'm an evil ratbastard GM, allright.

Nightfall

Yeah I have to say that was very satifying to see, mainly because the issue of crime and punishments do come up in many game worlds. I don't believe that was something that the FRCS addressed very much, but this book DOES take that into account along with fortifications as well as giving the Gms/DMs freedom to run their campaigns with out much hinderances.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads