• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's say I want to begin with Scarred Lands... What do I need?

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
SSS-Druid said:
Greetings. Thanks for showing an interest in our little world here - we'll see if we can't be deserving of that interest.

First, get ahold of the Scarred Lands DM Screen. Besides being an all around useful screen for running any 3E game, it includes a booklet that has a section on the Races of Ghelspad (including some optional rules for humans), as well as two adventures.

The next thing you will want is the Scarred Lands Campaign Setting: Ghelspad, which is chock full of the stuff you need for your campaign - a history of Ghelspad, a chapter on the gods and titans, and an incredibly extensive description of every place from the Gazetteer, as well as a mess of prestige classes to help focus your setting.

Next, I'd pick up Relics & Rituals because that book details some of the unique aspects of magic in the Scarred Lands, from the strange heat generated by sorcerers and wizards when spellcasting to ritual magic.

Creature Collection has a huge number of our "signature" monsters that you will read about in the above sourcebooks - wrack dragons, hags, gorgons, Slitheren ratmen, Slarecian remnants, spider-eye goblins and the like. Creature Collection II adds to these, focusing on the servants of the gods (both angelic and demonic) as well as some of the other twisted beasts that the Titanswar spawned.

Once you get into the setting, you may want to pick up The Divine & the Defeated, the definitive book on the gods and titans.

Thanks a lot for the kind answer!
I think I will like the setting a lot. I love Hollowfaust.

A question now... The Scarred Lands Campaign Setting: Ghelspad, has it been released? In Leisure Games, an English store, they claim they have received it...

Gospog

First Post
I have to reccomend Warrens of the Ratmen and Hollowfaust (I know, you already have it).

Not only are they great books, but they are both easily portable to other campaign worlds, if you decide to not run Scarred Lands after all.

As for getting "into" the Scarred Lands, there is a fiction anthology (Heroes of the Scarred Lands?) that gives a nice glimpse at life on Scarn. Some of the stories are pretty good, though some of them are just plain bad (for example, you can skip the first story, trust me).

Good luck and have fun!

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Update: In White Wolf online store the Scarred Lands Campaign Setting: Ghelspad is listed as add to cart instead as preorder, so I think that means it has been released...

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Horatio, although I don't know the specifics, I do believe it will be released on the 3rd of June instead of the 17th, so it might already be out over there in UK.

Btw, if you have any more SL questions, comments, or anything else, don't HESISTATE to ask. :) I do check here AND I'm usually available to help out.

Btw, I do recommend heartily the Divine and the Defeated. I think you'll like. But DO get the SLCS: Ghelspad. It's probably the best thing out there. The Gaz, I'd use as a kind of player's primer, but it's also a nice reference for a DM to have.

Nightfall

:) No but I had this dream where I got it...and then I died after reading it. God appeared and said "You are a worthy man, Nightfall. (Not my real name, as you know Boney, but you get the idea folks!! ;) )

When I DO get it, you'll be the first to know..or at least hear me scream in delight from about 50 miles away! ;)

Nightfall said:
:) No but I had this dream where I got it...and then I died after reading it. God appeared and said "You are a worthy man, Nightfall. (Not my real name, as you know Boney, but you get the idea folks!! ;) )

When I DO get it, you'll be the first to know..or at least hear me scream in delight from about 50 miles away! ;)

Well, Night, while on this particular subject, which books do you need to complete your SL collection?

BTW, how far are you away from Bluefield, WV?

Nightfall

VERY far. Probably about five hours If I drove down I-79. :)

Right now, the only one I need is Burok Torn. Warren I'm getting when WW gets around to delivering it. That and Wilderness and Wastelands I'm expecting some time within the next two to three weeks. I'm also expecting WotC to send me a copy of Deities and Demi-gods, which might be as early as monday. Forsaken I'm getting free, since I proved my SL worth in that chat. :) I also have Champions, but I'm getting another copy of that since it was a package deal with Forsaken.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I only own a few books, but I'd say that Relics and Rituals is a good buy whether you play in SL or not. Warrens of the Ratmen is a great resource. It is exactly the kind of sourcebook I'd like to see more of. A book on a race (several races actually) of evil, with spells, prestige classes (like Monte meant them to be used), and great hooks. But, it isn't necessary for a SL campaign.

I also really like their creature books, different monsters are one of the things that make one world different from another (or even one continent/island like here on earth).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads