D&D 5E Let's Streamline Physical Combat

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
New packet, new rules! We have:

• Attack modifier, that applies to weapons you are proficient in
  • Deadly strike, that increases your damage once per turn
  • Multiattack options to deal with mobs
  • Feats that give access to what were maneuvers

The attack modifiers are currently scaled *almost* right - +1 to +5 if you're "good" at fighting, +1 to +3 if you're ok and nothing at all if you're not. So at worst, a wizard with a dagger is going to have a -5 penalty relative to a fighter, without thinking about their abilities - that's the sort of scale I'm ok with, since it's the difference between being average and amazing in ability modifier terms, and the difference I would like to see for skills. My only fear is that these things add up for a potential difference of 10 - though, thinking about it, that's only half the dice, and in an opposed contest you'd have a 13.75% chance of beating your better.

What I would like to see is a way to improve your progress - not for those who are already good, but for the Wizard that wants to use a sword or Rogue that wants to fight Fighters. I'm not sure how to do that without making it a must-have though. Perhaps, if feats want to be important, you could upgrade from no bonus to the lower track for either weapons or magic (you can currently get useful proficiencies and cantrips from non-class features).Finally, on this component, I say give Fighters a broad-spectrum +1 right from 1st level - they should be better than everyone else.

Now, deadly strike has the right idea of steadily increasing your damage output, but it's fiddly - and it can be streamlined with multiattack options in a simple way that I suggested before the packet came out. I'm even going to combine it with the attack modifier. For every point of attack modifier you have, you get 1[W] damage on attacks you make with weapons you are proficient with. When you have at least 2[W] you can choose a multiattack option - now, I like the options available and I like that you can't multiattack in every way, so choices there are good, but see below for a tweak. For each [W] you have you can attack an additional target - it's as simple as that. You don't get an extra attack, but you can target an additional enemy. This could be really good if we have multi-part enemies, like dragons and hydras, so you can go for a wing, a leg and the head with three attacks to possibly achieve a better average damage, or just try to take one part of that enemy out for good with a single all-or-nothing attack. Again, if we give Fighters a +1 attack bonus right at the start, this could give them immediate access to a multiattack option - cool, right? Or overpowered, but then the bonus can be of a separate kind.

So on the final point, the access to maneuvers via feats, well, why not make this a fully functional part of this entire combined system? You get a combat feat, maneuver, whatever you want to call it, for each +1 you have as a weapon attack modifier - these should not be things you couldn't do before (like pushing and disarming), but things you do as well as deal damage. I would also put the multiattack options into this pile - so if you want you can have more than one, or none if you don't care for that. The key thing is that the system is unified, and has options.

TLDR:

Combine the +X attack modifier, +[W] extra damage, multiattack and maneuvers together in the same progression, with plenty of options.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
What I would like to see is a way to improve your progress - not for those who are already good, but for the Wizard that wants to use a sword or Rogue that wants to fight Fighters. I'm not sure how to do that without making it a must-have though.

Multi-classing.

If you're a Wizard or Rogue who wants to be better with a sword, you multi into Fighter. No other way makes sense. If you don't want to multi-class (because you want to stay a "pure" Wizard)... then you have to accept the fact you aren't going to be good with a weapon.

The only other option is doing something really dumb like making a feat that grants a +1 to weapon use, but has pre-requistes that it can't be taken by the classes that already have good attack bonuses (so that the already awesome in fighting Fighters can't get even more awesome, furthering them from the pack.) But those kinds of feats (pure numerical bonuses) run counter to everything they are trying to accomplish.

If you are a Wizard and want to run counter to your archetype... you certainly can-- you take a level in Fighter. But you have to give up something to do so (being a "pure" class).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm even going to combine it with the attack modifier. For every point of attack modifier you have, you get 1[W] damage on attacks you make with weapons you are proficient with. When you have at least 2[W] you can choose a multiattack option - now, I like the options available and I like that you can't multiattack in every way, so choices there are good, but see below for a tweak. For each [W] you have you can attack an additional target - it's as simple as that. You don't get an extra attack, but you can target an additional enemy. This could be really good if we have multi-part enemies, like dragons and hydras, so you can go for a wing, a leg and the head with three attacks to possibly achieve a better average damage, or just try to take one part of that enemy out for good with a single all-or-nothing attack. Again, if we give Fighters a +1 attack bonus right at the start, this could give them immediate access to a multiattack option - cool, right? Or overpowered, but then the bonus can be of a separate kind.

The primary reason not to do this is that you basically are giving the Fighter all his extra bonus stuff at the exact same level-- the level his attack bonus goes up a point. So we're talking an even more pronounced "dead level" phenomenon here. To have his attack bonus and extra damage, and multi-attacks, and a combat maneuver all arrive at a single level pretty much kills the fun of leveling at any other point in the game.

Is spreading out the extra stuff more "complicated" per se? Sure. But really... how complicated is it? You level up and find out you now get an extra [W] to your damage at this level. How hard is that to grasp?

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Multiclassing would certainly be an option, depending on how that works out, we just don't know yet - I'm just hoping there is some way to be able to use a weapon as a Wizard, or indeed to be able to use an unusual weapon as a Rogue, or more armour - you know, proficiency stuff. If I had my way then we'd have weapon skills that you select and add points to, just as you should select and add points to adventuring skills..

As for the spreading out - agreed that it can be useful to do this to avoid dead levels, but then there are other things you can do to avoid dead levels without complexity. It could have been made simple too, but the points at which these things increase are all over the place. Why not a +1 to hit at level X, a martial feat/maneuver at level X+1 and a +1[W] at level X+2?

Remove ads