• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's talk about movement. (new questions, post #12)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
1. A wet expanse of loose sand with rocks jutting out

Difficult terrain; +5 penalty to Tumble and Balance.

2. Just rocks, with large gaps

Difficult Terrain (or on a battlegrid, difficult in various areas).

3. 3 feet of rushing water

Difficult if moving in same direction as water; double difficult if moving against.

Cheers!

alsih2o

First Post
1 Running along the top of the fence.

2 Running up this incline with good holds and odd steps

3 across the lava filed, some places are firm, some aren't.

Attachments

• fence.JPG
    fence.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 41
  • fence2.JPG
    fence2.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 37
  • fence3.JPG
    fence3.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 37

Liolel

First Post
For the second set of situations I would rule the following.

1. Running across the fence is a series of balance checks that are more difficult the faster you are moving.

2. The incline doesn't look difficult enougth to warrent climb checks. I think I would just half movement speeds while travelling along it. Prehaps a climb check could help someone move faster, and I'd say if you were going downhill you could move full speed, but have to make either a balance check or a climb check to avoid falling.

3. For the lava filled area, I'd give players a choice. Either then can slow their movement by some amount (which would depend on how much of the ground if firm) to safely navigate a path, or they could move full speed but have to make a few reflex saves to avoid falling through the none firm areas.

Fieari

Explorer
For the fence, I'd give my players a balance check for every 5' section of fence, and they move at half. Looks like a DC 15 to me. If they want to go full speed, I'll up that by 10, so DC 25. They want to run? That's a DC 30. For each 5' square, yes. Still very possible for players who want to focus in this particular skill, which isn't unheard of.

For the hill, that's pretty steep. I've hiked those myself, and you don't move full speed. I'd say a DC10 climb check and move at half. I'd also give a +1 to attacks from higher ground. If they were desperate for speed, I'd give a DC20 tumble check for each 5' to move full.

For the lava field, I'd randomly scatter the field with "pit traps"... requiring reflex saves. Basically, for every 5' step made, I'd roll a d20 and if the number is lower than X, where X is a number I chose depending on how dangerous I want the field to be, it will drop you into the lava flow underneath... reflex to avoid. You can avoid these saves by moving cautiously, 1/4 movement rate, round down, minimum 5. (30 and lower -> 5, 40 -> 10, 60 -> 15)

reanjr

First Post
alsih2o said:
Below are 3 examples of places where it is hard to move.

As a DM, what kinds of rules and hinderances would you place on a player for each surface? I am not looking for the Rules As Written. I would liek to know what you woudl rule if your players ported in and started running. What about their mounts? How much do oyu slow down players for environmental hazards?

The movement rules seem non-sacred cow-ish, and I think we all play with them a bit more than somethign like HP or AC, and I am not asking for the RAW. So, I thought this wasn't a Rules Forum question. Apologies ot the mods if I am mistaken. :)

1. Half speed. Running requires a Balance check.
2. Jump/Balance checks for movement
3. If going with the water, half speed. If going against, 5 ft. speed. Balance checks on occasion. Can't run.

[edit] Forgot about mounts.

1. Probably no penalty. Maybe some kind of check to avoid throwing a shoe, but I can't think of anything at the moment.
2. Very difficult balance checks
3. No balance checks; speed is reduced to 1/2 or 5ft. depending. Can't run.

Last edited:

woodelf

First Post
alsih2o said:
Below are 3 examples of places where it is hard to move.

Well, there's rushing water, and there's rushing water. The description made me think of a fast-flowing river. I can probably walk in waist-deep water in many (most?) rivers. For that, greatly-reduced movement, and Str checks every round someone tries to do anything but move. Probably ~1/4 movement, no double move or run. The bottom would make a difference--on sand/silt/muck, nobody does over 5', but the Str DC is a bit more reasonable--on rock/gravel, you can move a bit more easily, but you have less purchase so the Str DC goes up.

Now, you gave a picture of flood waters. 2' of floodwaters will wash away trucks and cars. Given that we're talking about a heroic game, i'd allow some chance of standing (probably grapple check, DC 30), even though it's not possible in reality. Walking upstream would be even harder. Swim checks would have the DC increased by something like 15.

Berandor

lunatic
alsih2o said:
1 Running along the top of the fence.

2 Running up this incline with good holds and odd steps

3 across the lava filed, some places are firm, some aren't.
1. Balance DC 15 for walking, 20 for hustling, 30 for running

2. Move at 1/4 speed, climb DC 15 to move at half speed.

3. Either 1/2 move + survival DC 10 to have a safe path, or normal speed with 50% chance of immersion (Ref DC 12, 1d6 fire damage) per round.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads