Let's Talk Blue Rose

Crothian

First Post
Your friendfly neibhood PDF Reviewer here talking about my ltest and highly anticipated book: Green Ronin's Blue Rose. It is availible from RPGNow if you want the PDF, and the print version should be along ast some point in a few weekis I'd guess.

This book is not like anything else we have seen. I know many people are a little off put by the idea of Romantic Fantasy, but I'm here to tell you don't be. All it means is that there are more social and role playing ideas in this setting and its rules then pretty much anything e;se I've seen for d20. THis is a Role Players setting and game. Sure, it has rules and has fights and conflicts, but it allows for more space in the main book to talk about the little details like the socail envirments of the place.

Now, it does come with some basic assumptions people might not like. It is a little black and white, having good guys and bad guys. The land of the good guys is very accepting. There really is no racism in it, no sexism, no qualms on who you marry like what race or sex they are, it is a very accepting place. Nature is good, nature is there to work with and protect.

I like the scaled down classes, skills, and the way they have done feats. No more complaining about not enough feats. :D

Magic and psionics are built right into the system and the setting even has the basics of like what people's reaction to them are. Brilliant. THe details always get to me, and this book has the details I like and what make a campaign world come to life. MAgic and psionics are different, more feat and skill based. It is odd while they are weaker, there are things that one can do in this system that would take epic spells to do in regular d20.

The system is not going to perfect, and it is not going to be for everyone. But it is thought out, it makes sense within its defined parameters. Questions?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Crothian said:
Now, it does come with some basic assumptions people might not like. It is a little black and white, having good guys and bad guys. The land of the good guys is very accepting. There really is no racism in it, no sexism, no qualms on who you marry like what race or sex they are, it is a very accepting place. Nature is good, nature is there to work with and protect.
Liberal Good? :p Obviously, it fits the source material, though.

The system is not going to perfect, and it is not going to be for everyone. But it is thought out, it makes sense within its defined parameters. Questions?
How portable are the rules? Could I raid this book and use the rules easily in straight-up D&D?

How about the world? Is it a complete world, or would it be possible for it just to be a different region of an established world quite easily? (i.e. no major world-scale changes.)

Crothian

First Post
looked better in general forum......

MAgic and psionic systemare completely different, classes are like the three general classes found in Unearthed Arcana but different since they alos get defense and reputaion, skill are different in you either get max ranks or non depending on if you take the skill as favored but then there are less skills. Some ofthe feats you could use, the guidlines for social encounters are better and can be used.

There is a lot that is changed from normal d20 making this product tough to raid for rules, but for ideas there are plenty.

The part of the world shown here is three countries, I think the map is about 100 miles acorss give or take, so it could easily fit into a bigger world. There is enough here to run the world but obviously greater detail on that will come out later.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I was just reading the history excerpt on the official site and there are a LOT of grammatical errors and typos. Since it was put up relatively recently, one would think it was taken from a late proof of the book. How is the editing in the PDF?

Aaron2

Explorer
Crothian said:
There is a lot that is changed from normal d20 making this product tough to raid for rules, but for ideas there are plenty.
I'm curious how the Toughness save increases by level (if it does increase by level, that is). Can you share the formula?

Aaron

Crothian

First Post
the three differnet rates are the same as the three different BAB progressions. The characters get many more feats then normal d20 and can use feats to improve this.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I'm gonna wait for a book, but I'm really interested in this game. In some ways, based on what I've read about it, it reminds me of Pendragon.

Crothian

First Post
I can see that in a way. I'm not as familar with Pendragon but from I know it does share similiarities. Personally, I'm finding it reminds me in ways like Ars Magica....

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Aaron2 said:
I'm curious how the Toughness save increases by level (if it does increase by level, that is). Can you share the formula?

Adepts - 0.5 per level
Experts - 0.75 per level
Warriors - 1 per level

They also have a conversion table in the back for all the standard d20 Hit die types, in addition to conversion guidelines for weapon damage, healing spells (there are recovery rolls in the damage save system, insted of getting back hitpoints) and Feats.

Blue Rose looks like a great rendition of d20.

Jon

Remove ads